Sign in to follow this  
scottss80

Intergrated Key FOB

Well, I just gave my Escape to my daughter and bought a 2007 Fusion SE, (Love it). I only have one key. The dealership near me wants about $155.00 to cut and program a new integrated key, ouch! A local locksmith can cut and program a regular chip key for $65.00, but they don't have the integrated key. So can I have them cut a key and use the old style key fob that I believed they used on the 06 model for a period of time, or is the integrated key the only way to go? I suppose I could by an integrated (uncut) key online and have a locksmith cut an program it, but having a separate fob from the key is no big deal to me, I just don't feel comfortable with only one key.

Thanks Scott

If you only have one coded key, you have to go to the dealer to get the second key programmed into the car. No matter who actually supplies and cuts the key.

I don't see how that would work in this case. The new key has a specific code that can't be changed AFAIK and the ford computer needs to see 2 different keys with different codes - otherwise you could just put the same key in twice and that doesn't work.

If that thing can really change the code in a key, then it would defeat the whole purpose of the system. Parking lot attendant makes a really complete duplicate of your key, including the embedded chip, and can steal your car anytime in the future. :redcard:

Just because you cannot understand something doesn't mean it doesn't work. There are a number of locksmiths using products similar. They have been on the market since these keys have been in use. When installin remote starters, if a customer only had one key, we would send them to the local locksmith. Reading up a little more, it looks like they work on fixed code keys, so not the greatest solution the Securilock keys - but possible. There are some other systems out there that will allow a tech into the key programming features. The scan tool that Ford uses is very expensive because it does so much, single function tools are quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.americanautolock.com/RW4%20Transponder%20Key%20Duplicator.pdf

I would suspect they did it they way they did so they could cycle the ignition on and off without a code being present.

Have you looked at the flip out keys with integrated remotes? They look slick!

If that's true then they have access to the Ford computer just like the dealer and they programmed a new, different coded key which is exactly what the Ford dealer would have done. IF that's what they really did. Here is my issue - if they didn't need to "clone" the existing key, then why did they have to use a blank key and a special chip? Why not just get a blank Ford key with the chip already in it like the dealer would do?

Guess you won't really know until you try to program another key yourself or you take it into the dealer.

Disclaimer - I know diddly about the Ilco system, but am just guessing... :confused:

Maybe, there is another possibility. Their device cannot program the car's computer with a new code, but can read the existing codes from the computer. Maybe the key that they cloned is a duplicate of the second, missing key that the car had to know. My assumption is that all cars "know" two key codes from the factory. This way, they did not program the into the car, but he now has two different keys