Sign in to follow this  
johnc

Question About the Pulleys/belt From Valve Train

So I am guessing this small drive system has something to do with the valve train because of its location on front head/cylinder bank. What does it do? Why doesn't the rear bank have one? What happens if this small belt breaks or slips? Is this an interferance engine?

Thanks

john

So I am guessing this small drive system has something to do with the valve train because of its location on front head/cylinder bank. What does it do? Why doesn't the rear bank have one? What happens if this small belt breaks or slips? Is this an interferance engine?

Thanks

john

I know the answer to one of your questions......the belt drive is for the water pump. I think earlier models of the 3.0

had a cover over the pulleys and belt. I have yet to learn how to replace the belt......maybe someone else can answer that.

Edited by jtb3

OK, by 'small drive system', I guess you mean the belt and pulleys you see on your engine. The one you see there is called an accessory drive belt, which is driven by the crankshaft pulley, and turns things like the aforementioned water pump, alternator, AC compressor, and depending on the car, a steering pump, and the cooling fan. This one has nothing to do with the camshaft.

Your reference to an 'interference engine' may be something you heard about engines in which the valves move through some of the same space the pistons do, only at a different time. So if the timing belt (Which is driven also by the crankshaft, but just turns the camshaft) were to break (Not the same as the accessory belt!) the pistons would do bad things to the valves and your wallet. So make sure to replace the timing belt when the maintenance schedule says to. Not a few thousand miles later. I've known too many people who waited and got bit. I don't think all engines have the interference problem, but I guess with mfgr's trying to squeeze all the efficiency they can out of their engines now, most probably do nowadays.

I've looked through my 2.5L I4 manual and found nothing about a timing belt. Either it uses the alternative, a timing chain, or I guess with variable valve timing maybe there is something altogether different going on with solenoids or something. I don't know about the other engines available in the Fusion. Anyone else?

Timing chain - no belt.

Thanks for the replies/info, guess I should have looked closer and noticed the waterpump under it.

Yep I was a prowd owner of a interference engine that completly failed, there was no useable engine parts afterwards. Was cruising along at 75mph one second, then the next second every fluid in the engine found its way out, along bits and peices of metal.

Here is a picture of the pulley I had asked about.

Thanks

post-6973-127256246798_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnc