Sign in to follow this  
mgbabe

Radio Antenna & Automatic Car Washes

Have any of you taken you Fusion with the roof mounted Antenna through an automatic car wash? I didn't notice that the mast can be removed and the owner's manual isn't much help.

I don 't take my cars through car washes since in the past/present I have had with roof racks that would shed pieces if I did. And I have only washed the Fusion by hand so far.

I usually wand was the car, and I have also taken it through the automated washes. No problems in the touch-less car wash, as nothing on the car sticks out too far.

Hey guys, I'm very disappointed with all of you that would dare drive their ride through a car wash touch-less or otherwise. A beautiful new car like the Fusion should never be taken in such a place. It's like taking your wife to a brothel....OK it might not be the same but you know what I mean. My Snowball, when I pull-up to a gas station and I drive too close to the car wash, my car starts shaking, my doors lock and my windows go up by them selves, the windshield washer fluid squirts out and it drives it's self away from the car wash. Get the picture......their are only cons and no pros to this issue. The only solution is two fold and no more. First always wash your car on your own......what ever you do to it.....will be your fault and no one else's. Second, you can go to a hand car wash, but only if you know the people and tell them what you expect, that's what I do and it works. Oh, I forgot a third, the self service pressure wash, there to you must be careful to wash the brush with the high pressure so that there is no dirt in the bristles. Now come on guys.....would you wash your pet in a washing machine? Ciao.

Hi Snowball 2010,

Let me restate for the record that I do not take my cars through an automatic car wash for the reasons I stated. I was just asking a question. I wondering if this would be another case of something getting ripped off the car. I cannot remember the last time - maybe it was on my few year-old-at-the-time 1991 Accord, that I haven't washed my car myself - or let the dealer do after service.

Hi Snowball 2010,

Let me restate for the record that I do not take my cars through an automatic car wash for the reasons I stated. I was just asking a question. I wondering if this would be another case of something getting ripped off the car. I cannot remember the last time - maybe it was on my few year-old-at-the-time 1991 Accord, that I haven't washed my car myself - or let the dealer do after service.

I have been taking all my cars through auto car washes for well over 25 years and never lost anything yet. They do a good job and besides, it is just a stupid car, not my wife.

I've been lucky to be able to hand wash my Fusion at my Mom's condo indoor wash rack all winter. Unfortunately, she's had to go into assisted living and we're selling her condo. In the winter there's no other option than an automated car wash in Minnesota. In the past I've used a place that has the long strips rather than brushes. I'll never use the brush type, that will kill a good paint job. I carry a small crescent wrench in the glove box to remove the antenna, it only takes a second. The sign going in clearly states we are not responsible... Snowball, how do you hand wash in the winter up dare in Canada, you know. :D

I've been lucky to be able to hand wash my Fusion at my Mom's condo indoor wash rack all winter. Unfortunately, she's had to go into assisted living and we're selling her condo. In the winter there's no other option than an automated car wash in Minnesota. In the past I've used a place that has the long strips rather than brushes. I'll never use the brush type, that will kill a good paint job. I carry a small crescent wrench in the glove box to remove the antenna, it only takes a second. The sign going in clearly states we are not responsible... Snowball, how do you hand wash in the winter up dare in Canada, you know. :D

The antenna on mine unscrews by hand. No wrench needed.

The antenna on mine unscrews by hand. No wrench needed.

When I first got my Fusion it was easily removed by hand. I snugged it a little tighter so there was no chance of it vibrating out, thus the need for the crescent.

Thanks for all your replies. I just checked my antenna and it unscrews fairly easily. No plans at the moment to take it to a car wash.

As for washing cars up here in Canada, I wait for when the temperature goes above freezing coincides with my having time. If not it stays dirty and frozen. That's partly why I chose silver this time - hides the salt.

Thanks for all your replies. I just checked my antenna and it unscrews fairly easily. No plans at the moment to take it to a car wash.

As for washing cars up here in Canada, I wait for when the temperature goes above freezing coincides with my having time. If not it stays dirty and frozen. That's partly why I chose silver this time - hides the salt.

Have you seen the short replacement antenna available from CD3 Fusion? It looks much better than the silly looking whip, reception is exaclty the same, and you won't have to worry about the car wash if you want to go that route. Check it out: cd3fusion.com.

Have you seen the short replacement antenna available from CD3 Fusion? It looks much better than the silly looking whip, reception is exaclty the same, and you won't have to worry about the car wash if you want to go that route. Check it out: cd3fusion.com.

I checked out the stubby antenna and I think I like, thanks for the address. Does it replace the entire unit or just the antenna mast? If it's the whole unit, what's involved and how difficult is the removal and installation? I wish the grille wrap was around when I put mine on the road last May.

I checked out the stubby antenna and I think I like, thanks for the address. Does it replace the entire unit or just the antenna mast? If it's the whole unit, what's involved and how difficult is the removal and installation? I wish the grille wrap was around when I put mine on the road last May.

Just the mast. Unscrew the whip; screw in the shortie.

Hey guys and gals, I've solved my problem with my mini whip roof antenna...........soon I will be installing a Shark Fin roof antenna. "CHECK THIS OUT"

Check out my topic" ROOF ANTENNA (SHARK FIN MAYBE????)"Purchase and install Shark Fin Roof Antenna for Fusion mod and the link to the seller.

the pictures are bigger and better.

I have the CD3Fusion short antenna, but I like this one too. When you get it, let us know how well it works (and fits) and what's involved in the install. Looks as if it might be huge if it has to fit over the existing unit.

I have the CD3Fusion short antenna, but I like this one too. When you get it, let us know how well it works (and fits) and what's involved in the install. Looks as if it might be huge if it has to fit over the existing unit.

Hondaconvert, can you post a pic of the stubby antenna? I'd like to see it in action.

Off the subject, I just finished watching the Washington Caps get sent to the golf course, "We are the champions"...........

"HOCKEY IS OUR SPORT"......................and................"DON'T YOU FORGET IT"!!!!!!!! See you in Philadelphia.

Yes I saw that great 3rd period too. But I have to say my FUSION is my SPORT. But then again, we neeevvverrr get into the playoffs!

Rather impressive 3rd period I gotta say. That was a heart stopper!

Keeping on topic. I have one of those "Season Pass" car wash passes with Petro Canada which allows you to get 1 premium "touchless" or "cloth" car wash/day for 90 days. You also have access to the vacuum and carpet shampoo brush thing.

Point being, I go through the car wash every day in the Winter (touchless and cloth 50/50) and have never had an issue with my antenna or any other part of the car for that matter. Nor do I have any scratches or bristles sticking out from anywhere. I think the modern day car washes are a lot more gentle on our cars... even the cloth ones.

Thanks for your experiences.