Sign in to follow this  
Oldguy16

Warranty On engine Upgrades

Has anyone who's ever done a cold air kit had a problem when taking their fusion to the dealer for anything? My only worry with doing an intake is that the dealer is going to be annoying and say my warranty is voided when it really isn't. I've read alot of places online that it depends on the dealer and that an intake shouldn't affect the warranty. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience.

If the air intake kit affects emissions, fouls the mass air flow sensor, etc. the dealership should deny warranty for any resulting problems.

If the air intake kit affects emissions, fouls the mass air flow sensor, etc. the dealership should deny warranty for any resulting problems.

Yea that's what most people said. That if it directly results in something breaking it will not void the warranty. But what will it really affect, the warranty on the mass air sensor? Which isn't going to break anyway.

Yea that's what most people said. That if it directly results in something breaking it will not void the warranty. But what will it really affect, the warranty on the mass air sensor? Which isn't going to break anyway.

Hi Oldguy. :D As Grey stated, if the intake "affects emissions, fouls the mass air flow sensor, etc. the dealership should deny warranty for any resulting problems."

Either directly or indirectly, there are many engine issues that an aftermarket intake can cause and/or be linked to. And they are not only limited to the "mass air sensor". And yes, even the MAF is prone to trouble, especially with some aftermarket intakes.

You can safely assume that if you install an aftermarket intake, almost any CEL (Check Engine Light) your car may show may/will be linked to the intake by Ford/the Dealership. You may be lucky and your Dealer may be more lenient, but there is no way for us to predict that now. Not saying you will have problems, but the incidence or problems with aftermarket intakes is certainly much higher than those with unaltered factory intakes.

If you want to install an aftermarket intake, go ahead and do so. But the fact is there are many issues caused by aftermarket intakes that can lead to engine problems and denied Warranty claims. It does not "void the Warranty", it can lead to denied Warranty claims for particular engine problems. There is a big difference between those two situations (a "voided warranty" or a "denied warranty claim).

Many people install aftermarket intakes with no problems, while many others have problems.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

The cold air kit I put on my Focus caused the MAF to get compromised leading to a check engine light. When I took it in for warranty they just told me that it was my cold air kit and they wouldn't cover it, but at least they didn't charge me for diagnostics. I cleaned up the MAF, put the stock system back on and 7 years later have never had another problem.

In more extreme cases (like on the new Ecoboost engines) a cold air kit can have more significant consequences. It can cause the engine to run lean, or if it's actually working as claimed, will produce more power which will overload the transmission and drivetrain. it would be perfectly reasonable for Ford to deny any warranty on those parts if they have evidence you've used a cold air intake.

But really the issue is perception. If you go into a dealer with a cold air kit, the first thing they're going to think is "What else has this guy done" or "So how is he driving this car". Even if it's not really true, perception is a big factor when it comes to getting good service.

Edited by Waldo

Hi Oldguy. :D As Grey stated, if the intake "affects emissions, fouls the mass air flow sensor, etc. the dealership should deny warranty for any resulting problems."

Either directly or indirectly, there are many engine issues that an aftermarket intake can cause and/or be linked to. And they are not only limited to the "mass air sensor". And yes, even the MAF is prone to trouble, especially with some aftermarket intakes.

You can safely assume that if you install an aftermarket intake, almost any CEL (Check Engine Light) your car may show may/will be linked to the intake by Ford/the Dealership. You may be lucky and your Dealer may be more lenient, but there is no way for us to predict that now. Not saying you will have problems, but the incidence or problems with aftermarket intakes is certainly much higher than those with unaltered factory intakes.

If you want to install an aftermarket intake, go ahead and do so. But the fact is there are many issues caused by aftermarket intakes that can lead to engine problems and denied Warranty claims. It does not "void the Warranty", it can lead to denied Warranty claims for particular engine problems. There is a big difference between those two situations (a "voided warranty" or a "denied warranty claim).

Many people install aftermarket intakes with no problems, while many others have problems.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Ahhhhh that's the kind of answer i was looking for. Thank you so much, I have some thinking to do now because I don't know if that's such a good idea anymore. The check engine light will not only have the dealer check under the hood, but my mechanic as well. I'm starting to doubt that this is a good idea. I really like the idea of adding 12hp, from the K&N, but I'm thinking it just isn't worth it anymore. Thanks again!

The cold air kit I put on my Focus caused the MAF to get compromised leading to a check engine light. When I took it in for warranty they just told me that it was my cold air kit and they wouldn't cover it, but at least they didn't charge me for diagnostics. I cleaned up the MAF, put the stock system back on and 7 years later have never had another problem.

In more extreme cases (like on the new Ecoboost engines) a cold air kit can have more significant consequences. It can cause the engine to run lean, or if it's actually working as claimed, will produce more power which will overload the transmission and drivetrain. it would be perfectly reasonable for Ford to deny any warranty on those parts if they have evidence you've used a cold air intake.

But really the issue is perception. If you go into a dealer with a cold air kit, the first thing they're going to think is "What else has this guy done" or "So how is he driving this car". Even if it's not really true, perception is a big factor when it comes to getting good service.

Here's what i was thinking also, even if the check engine light is on, and the dealer wants to complain and say my intake ruined the car etc. can i just put the old airbox back in? but i guess the dealer would know and i'd have to go to a different one. Which is obviously annoying. I would get the K&N kit, so I know it isn't a piece of garbage, but K&N even says that the 69 series intakes may cause the car not to pass the emissions test. I want the extra power so badly but in your opinion do you think it's worth the risk? even with being able to put the airbox back in?

Think of it this way. When K&N designs an intake kit, they go out and borrow a car from some local enthusiasts, bolt the part on, spend a day or two on the dyno and then release the part for production. When Ford designs an intake, they spend 6 months doing CAE models, run hundreds of thousands of miles of dyno testing in addition to hot, cold, snow, wet and dusty driving and compensate for all levels of variability in manufacturing and in operating conditions.

I've had two cars that I put "cold air kits" on. One injected water that ended up causing a bent connecting rod, the other fouled the MAF sensor to the point where it triggered a check engine light. Neither of the cars showed any improvement in performance through my butt-dyno with the kit. IMHO if cold-air kits were a good idea, Ford would put them on at the factory.

Think of it this way. When K&N designs an intake kit, they go out and borrow a car from some local enthusiasts, bolt the part on, spend a day or two on the dyno and then release the part for production. When Ford designs an intake, they spend 6 months doing CAE models, run hundreds of thousands of miles of dyno testing in addition to hot, cold, snow, wet and dusty driving and compensate for all levels of variability in manufacturing and in operating conditions.

I've had two cars that I put "cold air kits" on. One injected water that ended up causing a bent connecting rod, the other fouled the MAF sensor to the point where it triggered a check engine light. Neither of the cars showed any improvement in performance through my butt-dyno with the kit. IMHO if cold-air kits were a good idea, Ford would put them on at the factory.

Yea but even a good friend of mine did an intake on his explorer, excellent power gain, noticeably better response, and had virtually no effect on gas mileage. He did not get a check engine light either. No manufacturers put cold air kits on cause it's too expensive. Plus it makes the car a little louder and the general population loves quiet cars, which is why exhaust systems are sold aftermarket. Of course the airbox is safe, but it seriously restricts airflow to the engine. The duratec 30 is used in the Noble, just with turbos. You think they have an airbox on that? I'm not trying to sound mean at all, I value every opinion I hear, but besides the warranty, I don't see a problem with having a cold air kit, from a very reputable manufacturer.

I've had K&N filters on a dozen cars and now have an intake on the Fusion. Never even a hint of a problem.

I too have added an intake to a few vehicles with MAS and never had any issues. I worked at a performance shop that sold K&N, and we offered a service where we would clean and re-oil the filter. A lot of people wash the filter the wrong way - forcing the oil and particulate into the filter, or apply too much oil. That causes problems, however, it is one of those common sense things. When it comes to water - that is not directly the fault of the filter. Look at the design, and see if that is a concern. I have noticed a little better response on my F-150 with the 4.6L V-8 as well as mu Focus with the 2.0D. The computer adjusts quickly and fuel economy typically remains very close to where it started.

... but i guess the dealer would know and i'd have to go to a different one. Which is obviously annoying. I would get the K&N kit, so I know it isn't a piece of garbage, but K&N even says that the 69 series intakes may cause the car not to pass the emissions test. I want the extra power so badly but in your opinion do you think it's worth the risk? even with being able to put the airbox back in?

Not only would they know what has been done, and have the record on the computer, but any other Ford dealer you took it to would also know. All any dealer has to do is enter your VIN into their computer system and they can see all warranty/service info for the vehicle.

I figured that, so why not just put the airbox back in if i went to the dealer? I would guess there is no way to tell. You have to take the airbox out to replace the headlight anyway.

I've put a CAI on every vehicle I've owned. I have received a little bit of power boost and enjoy the change in engine tone as well. I am hesitant to do so on my new 2010 Fusion just for this reason. I know that some manufacutrers offer their own performance parts, like Nismo, TRD, Mazdaspeed, etc. etc. If Ford SVT unit offers these upgrades that might change the outcome of the denied warranty problem, only problem is it will cost you an arm and a leg and a half to have them provide the parts and install. I would say your best bet would be to call your dealer and see what they recommend or if there exist parts that do not void your warranty. Let us know what you decide.

I figured that, so why not just put the airbox back in if i went to the dealer? I would guess there is no way to tell. You have to take the airbox out to replace the headlight anyway.

This is exactly what i was going to suggest. most people i know who do performance mods to their cars keep all OEM items just in case something happens.