Sign in to follow this  
FFSE

Question about GVWR.

New owner of a 2010 Ford Fusion SE with an I4. I didn't see a discussion about this yet. The sticker on the driver side states not to put more than 850 lbs of passengers + cargo in the car. I'm guessing there is a safety margin built into this number. Just wondering how much you guys think would be safe. When I took the GVWR and subtracted the curb weight of the vehicle I get a number of about 1000 lbs.

New owner of a 2010 Ford Fusion SE with an I4. I didn't see a discussion about this yet. The sticker on the driver side states not to put more than 850 lbs of passengers + cargo in the car. I'm guessing there is a safety margin built into this number. Just wondering how much you guys think would be safe. When I took the GVWR and subtracted the curb weight of the vehicle I get a number of about 1000 lbs.

How much does a full tank of gas weigh? I'm guessing around 150 lbs. so that may explain it. Personally, I think there is a lot of safety margin built in so far as having something fail. More importantly the handling will suffer a lot with that much weight, especially if it's mostly in the trunk. Just use common sense and don't overload it too much, driver carefully and you should be fine.

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll be moving across country next week. I'm gonna weigh everything I put in the car including bike and rack. I want to stay way below the 850. Especially with the FR springs on. I'll ship whatever I can.