Sign in to follow this  
Sailorman

Extended Warranty

Hi there .. Been reading some of the recent posts concerning problems with HEV electronics ... and wondering if I should go with the extended Ford warranty for peace of mind. Any advice from HEV owners.

I have an HEV on order and expect it to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Read all the great reviews including Consumer Report's excellent report on frequency of repair, and had originally ruled out buying any extended warranty coverage. But not so sure anymore.

In Canada, the HEV components carry an 8 year 160,000 km warranty, but I wonder if the electronic dash components on the Fusion would be covered for 8 years. Dealer is offering me ESP Premium care for 5 years 100,000 kms for $1400.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Edited by Sailorman

Hi there .. Been reading some of the recent posts concerning problems with HEV electronics ... and wondering if I should go with the extended Ford warranty for peace of mind. Any advice from HEV owners.

I have an HEV on order and expect it to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Read all the great reviews including Consumer Report's excellent report on frequency of repair, and had originally ruled out buying any extended warranty coverage. But not so sure anymore.

In Canada, the HEV components carry an 8 year 160,000 km warranty, but I wonder if the electronic dash components on the Fusion would be covered for 8 years. Dealer is offering me ESP Premium care for 5 years 100,000 kms for $1400.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Our dealer wanted $1800 for the same warranty, so you could do worse. That warranty is really only from 36k miles to 100k, since your new car warranty is essentially the same thing and it goes 3 years or 36k miles, whichever comes first. I think you can get as low as $1100 if you shop, it's offered through normal insurance companies, who all just go by the risk tables. I think the cost might be different if you have sync/GPS, since I know a Toyota dealer who wanted $6K to replace a friends 04, 4runner intermittent functioning GPS/climate control screen, at 74K miles. (He has since bought a Ford).

But I would definitely confirm with your dealer that whatever outside package you get it will be good at your dealer. It won't cover brake pads or rotors, engine or transmission leaks, and normal wear and tear stuff, (seat wear, paint, etc), just major drive line stuff like a failed engine, transmission, and I think all the electronics. The 8 year 100K mile hybrid warranty covers only hybrid stuff, I don't think it covers the electronic display or sync in general. Please correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

Our dealer wanted $1800 for the same warranty, so you could do worse. That warranty is really only from 36k miles to 100k, since your new car warranty is essentially the same thing and it goes 3 years or 36k miles, whichever comes first. I think you can get as low as $1100 if you shop, it's offered through normal insurance companies, who all just go by the risk tables. I think the cost might be different if you have sync/GPS, since I know a Toyota dealer who wanted $6K to replace a friends 04, 4runner intermittent functioning GPS/climate control screen, at 74K miles. (He has since bought a Ford).

But I would definitely confirm with your dealer that whatever outside package you get it will be good at your dealer. It won't cover brake pads or rotors, engine or transmission leaks, and normal wear and tear stuff, (seat wear, paint, etc), just major drive line stuff like a failed engine, transmission, and I think all the electronics. The 8 year 100K mile hybrid warranty covers only hybrid stuff, I don't think it covers the electronic display or sync in general. Please correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

Hi there ... Just to clarify; the warranty I'm considering is the Ford Premium Care ESP warranty that covers 5 years and 100,000 kms that would be honoured by the dealer.

I'm in Canada so the base factory warranty on the HEV is 36 months 60,000kms; the drive train is covered for 5 years and 100,000kms; and the hybrid components are covered for 8 years and 160,000 kms. I'm not exactly sure what is all included with the hybrid components as there isn't a lot of info provided on that. SO there's a lot of warranty on the vehicle. Seems like the extra ESP coverage would be for the electronics like the radio, navigation and maybe the display if that's not considered part the hybrid system.

Any other insights would be appreciated.

Per the 2010 Ford and Mercury Hybrid Warranty Guide supplied with the car, extended coverage parts are: HVB, CVT, DC/DC converter, HVB connector, fan assembly, thermister probe, sensor module (HBPSM), control module (BECM).

Per the 2010 Ford and Mercury Hybrid Warranty Guide supplied with the car, extended coverage parts are: HVB, CVT, DC/DC converter, HVB connector, fan assembly, thermister probe, sensor module (HBPSM), control module (BECM).

Thanks for the info .. I guess the consideration here is whether we're starting to see some evidence that problems are showing up now on the HEV that would make the investment in added warranty protection a prudent thing to do.

On a car that gets a strong endorsment from Consumer Reports on build quality and frequency of repair, that shouldn't be necessary.

The train of thought is that regardless of how Ford vehicles in general and the Fusion specifically are performing, this is new technology (for the Fusion at least) and there is a higher than normal risk of an expensive out of warranty repair. Even though the 8 yr warranty covers most of the hybrid components there are other things it doesn't cover.

It's still a gamble but probably a better gamble on the FFH than the regular model.

It still comes down to how long you plan to keep it and how much you can afford to pay out of pocket for a non-warranty repair.

Agreed. Seems like the major additional components that are covered with the Premium Care are electronic including the Nav, audio and display systems. My thinking has generally been that 3 years factory warranty is enough to shake out problems with these components and it has been problem free for 3 years it isn't likely going to fail in years 4 or 5.

It's always a bit of a gamble, but my guess is Ford makes a lot of money on these warranties; otherwise they wouldn't offer them.

So I'm leaning away from buying the extra coverage for now unless I can get the dealer to sweeten the price a bit.

If anyone else has any thoughts ... pls post.

I guess I decided to get PremiumCARE 7/100k $50 deductible for a few reasons, not in any particular order:

- Price was OK - found for $1200 vs my dealer's offer of $2400 (definitely not worth it at that price)

- Many electronics on this vehicle, which can be expensive to repair - some may not be heavily road tested (I would never buy extended warranty for home electronics, but these are exposed to vibrations and climate changes, among other things).

- Ford has a $100 surcharge after 12 months, a $200 surcharge after 24 months to buy this warranty - I look at it as an increase in my "investment"

- If I want to sell this car in 3-4 years, I should be able to recoup most of my warranty cost as added value to the used car

- As someone mentioned here before, the $50 deductible is a sweet spot because it enables me to afford minor repairs prior to selling the car or get my original investment back

- Peace of mind

Just my opinion.

My exact reasons too. My price was a bit more, for $1295 with a $50 deductible.

Dan