xmech2k

2010 S vs SE rims

I've searched to no avail, so I'll ask here:

Why would the 2010 Fusion S come with aluminum allow wheels, and the SE, presumably a 'higher' model, come with steel rims with hubcaps?

:banghead:

I'm aware of the better MPG of the S, but in today's mega-corporate world, you'd think the supposedly cheaper rims would go on the cheaper car. Guess maybe they thought a little past that to the MPG marketing, if this is the only reason why. I would still think it's more the tire style/size that would have a bigger impact on MPG than the rim. Would the rim weight have a bigger impact on MPG?

There were some extra actions taken on the S model to reduce weight to get to the best-in-class fuel economy number. I'm sure the aluminum wheels were part of that action.

I bought a 2010 SE and was astonished I couldn't get an aluminum wheels as an option. I could only get alloys on SEL. I'm really bummed I had to settle for steel wheels and hubcaps!

It all comes down to tooling dollars. When you make alloy wheels, you make a bunch of small, cheap tools the each put out a low volume of wheels. When you make a stamped steel wheel, you make one expensive tool that pumps out a whole lot of wheels. So it's actually cheaper for Ford to make a couple of alloy tools for the low volume of S models, even though the cost of each wheel is higher.

<Pop, Hisssssss> (That's the air coming out of your balloon) If that's the case, then why does the SEL come with alloy wheels? I costs more than both of them.

Ouch! Glad I didn't go with an S. I wonder how that radiator would handle the mountains between San Diego & Phoenix in the summer?

It's all about the weight and resulting fuel economy_ One of the articles said---

"The team eliminated 125 pounds versus the 2009 Fusion. The size of the radiator, for example, was able to be reduced by one-third with no degradation in performance. Also, 16-inch aluminum wheels helped reduce weight and aid aerodynamics while still delivering top performance."

:shift:

Curb weight on the 2010 SEL is 3548, while the 09 SEL is 3446...the 2010 is 102lbs heavier than the 09...Don't know about the "S" model...

Sure, and Ford decided to buy many alloy wheel tools AND pay the higher piece price of the wheels.

You missed the point, which is that LOW VOLUME wheels can be cheaper in alloy than steel. The S is LOW VOLUME. The SE and SEL are not.

Why not just use the cheaper steel wheels on the S model in that case? You must have been the CFO for General Motors...(kidding) Seriously though, why not use the cheaper steel wheels on the "S" since they are already being used on the "SE"? That would be cheaper than making a tooling set for the low volume "S" model. Personally, I think you're wrong, but will argue your point regardless. Ford is going to save money anywhere they can.

I think Fords use of alloy rims on the S was a marketing decision. I am a S owner. The S model is stripped down pretty severely especially with its coffee grinder transmission. When I compared the Fusion S to the other stripped models of the , accord, camry, corolla the Fusion sold me on the alloy rims. Call me vain but my peers on the road are looking at the outside of the car and the fusion with alloy rims looks more expensive than it is. Ford wins this battle over the competitors in the entry model low price cars for looks.

Now lets look at another buyer who wants a Ford not an import car and has a little more money to spend. The S model is out of the question, but he is on the fence on the SE model vs the SEL. The SE is in his price range BUT those wheels on the SE vs the SEL....He don't like them, No, No... Shazamm!! next thing you know you move the buyer up to the next model and Ford wins again.

This kind of goes with this topic...I just put a larger wheel on my 2010 SE and I'm getting close to 1 MPG worse than with my factory wheels.

I'm liking the wheels on my S.

Just bought the car yesterday and when I questioned the dealer about the different wheels, they couldn't give me an answer.

I hated the ulgy hubcaps on my 2010 SE so I replaced them with the hubcaps from the Mercury Milan, looks considerably better...

The Fusion S has 65 series radials where the SE and SEL have 50 series radials. So there's is approximately 15% more tire contact to the road with the SE/SEL. The outside diameters of the two tire/wheel combos are close. A narrower tire and a harder compound (Goodyear MAX mileage rubber) will get more MPG's, but you will feel the difference in handling between the S and the SE/SEL.

If you decide to swap rims/wheels, you'll also have to deal with the tire pressure monitoring system, which could get pricy.