rlawson4

Block Heater

I have been researching the impending winter mileage decrease and have come upon the idea of a block heater. In fact, I noticed in Ford Fleet Sales Block Heaters are listed in the available options for our car. So, if anyone has an opinion or experience in this matter, please chime in. Also, I am not even sure I understand what it is or how it works. Also, is this a self installed item or a factory deal. Thanks.

Hi rlawson,

You must be living in California or Florida :D . A block heater is a 110 Volt heating element installed in the engine block, in direct contact with either the coolant, or the engine oil, but most block heaters are in direct contact with the coolant. It's purpose is to pre-heat the engine before startup. The block heater as a cord that you plug in any 110 V power outlet. It allows for better starting, much faster warming up of the engine, lesser wear of internal engine parts at startup, much faster efficiency of the cabin heater, and better fuel economy for the first 20 km of driving.

A block heater is recommended when expected temperature is expected to be below -15 C. To be efficient , they must be plugged in at least 2 hours.

I sometimes use with a timer. I plug it in the evening, and the timer will switch it on at 0500 in the morning, or a couple of hours before my planned engine startup. I think Ford puts block heaters as standard equipment on Fusions sold in Canada. Mine has one.

I ordered mine with block heater as well. 80 bucks option can't hurt. I live in Toronto so there will be plenty of use for that one over the winter. Actually I read post where person said that generally speaking hybrids are poor choice for cold part of the country (me included). Simply, he said, engine works much more and electric motor way less than in warm places.

That kind of disappointed me since I was thinking between FH and Jetta TDI. About same money.

I ordered mine with block heater as well. 80 bucks option can't hurt. I live in Toronto so there will be plenty of use for that one over the winter. Actually I read post where person said that generally speaking hybrids are poor choice for cold part of the country (me included). Simply, he said, engine works much more and electric motor way less than in warm places.

That kind of disappointed me since I was thinking between FH and Jetta TDI. About same money.

A naked Fusion Hybrid and loaded Jetta TDI might be about the same money, but it really isn't the same type of vehicle. Also if the petro/diesel price differential ever gets huge like it did in 2008 again, you might be glad to have a petrol powered vehicle. I test drove a Jetta TDI at the VW dealer that some lady traded in after she won it on the Ellen Degeneres(sp?) Show. I have to say I was impressed with it, but it is nowhere near the Fusion in terms of toys and comforts. The seat was harder and nowhere near as plush, and the interior felt a bit cramped. You also can't even get many of the stuff on the TDI that come standard on the FH such as dual front power seats!!!

Hi rlawson,

You must be living in California or Florida :D . A block heater is a 110 Volt heating element installed in the engine block, in direct contact with either the coolant, or the engine oil, but most block heaters are in direct contact with the coolant. It's purpose is to pre-heat the engine before startup. The block heater as a cord that you plug in any 110 V power outlet. It allows for better starting, much faster warming up of the engine, lesser wear of internal engine parts at startup, much faster efficiency of the cabin heater, and better fuel economy for the first 20 km of driving.

A block heater is recommended when expected temperature is expected to be below -15 C. To be efficient , they must be plugged in at least 2 hours.

I sometimes use with a timer. I plug it in the evening, and the timer will switch it on at 0500 in the morning, or a couple of hours before my planned engine startup. I think Ford puts block heaters as standard equipment on Fusions sold in Canada. Mine has one.

Thanks for explaining it all to me.

Richard

When it is installed, where does the plug come out and how is it hidden during driving? Do you open the hood each time to hook it up and off each time?

I would think it would come out through the grill or you could state that is where you'd like it to come out.

I would think it would come out through the grill or you could state that is where you'd like it to come out.

I guess I am asking an appearance question. Do you just tuck the cord into the grill? would look odd I think.

You can fish the cord in or around the grille. For convenience, we dont open the hood every time, but we push the foot long length of slack cord back behind the grille before driving off. Then when the cold season is over, we open the hood and permanently snug the cord properly in place, untill next winter.

Does anyone have an idea on whether this external model will work?

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-Magnum-Mag...1843&sr=1-3

Also (let the ribbing on me begin!), where is the oil pan and how hard will it be to stick this thing there every night?

Thanks. This forum is great.

Does anyone have an idea on whether this external model will work?

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-Magnum-Mag...1843&sr=1-3

Also (let the ribbing on me begin!), where is the oil pan and how hard will it be to stick this thing there every night?

Thanks. This forum is great.

The oil pan is on the bottom of the engine in which you will have to get down on your back and crawl under the front of the car to hook it to the pan in which case it is possible with everything else down there, there may not even be enough room to attach it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give this idea a minus 10 :happy feet:

The oil pan is on the bottom of the engine in which you will have to get down on your back and crawl under the front of the car to hook it to the pan in which case it is possible with everything else down there, there may not even be enough room to attach it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give this idea a minus 10 :happy feet:

Thanks again.

Richard

I wouldn't buy this heater. I would have a mechanic install a permanent block heater that go in a freeze plug on the engine block. Installation is less than one hour.

Great discussion!

I just got my Light Ice Blue Milan Hybrid a few weeks ago... I realized just a few days ago when I ordered it in the heat of August that I forgot to ask for the block heater.

Last week temps in the Ohio valley fell into the 40s and my mileage fell into the low 30s :-(

Has anyone found a Ford part number for the block heater? I have found that it is standard equipment for Northern states, but cannot find a part number for the heater online.

Thanks for any help!

Great discussion!

I just got my Light Ice Blue Milan Hybrid a few weeks ago... I realized just a few days ago when I ordered it in the heat of August that I forgot to ask for the block heater.

Last week temps in the Ohio valley fell into the 40s and my mileage fell into the low 30s :-(

Has anyone found a Ford part number for the block heater? I have found that it is standard equipment for Northern states, but cannot find a part number for the heater online.

Thanks for any help!

I don't know where you heard that it is standard for Northern states unless Mich. is no longer a northern state as it don't come standard here in these parts. To make a long story short I went to my Ford dealer and he looked it up and ordered it for me along with the bi-directional remote. He said it should be here tomorrow or Monday. I'll report back when I get both installed.

Nothern states were Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Maine, maybe a few others, I believe.

I talked to my dealer -- he quoted $180 for the part and another $200-300 for labor. Not surprisingly I am seeing if I can get them to give me a break on the labor at least.

Very interested in what you find out from your dealer so we can compare notes.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is the bi-directional remote for?

Best regards

Mike D

Nothern states were Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Maine, maybe a few others, I believe.

I talked to my dealer -- he quoted $180 for the part and another $200-300 for labor. Not surprisingly I am seeing if I can get them to give me a break on the labor at least.

Very interested in what you find out from your dealer so we can compare notes.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is the bi-directional remote for?

Best regards

Mike D

The bi-directional remote start key fob beeps to show that the car received the command (it was in range), and then blinks green to show that the engine/car actually started.

This is a great forum. I'm from Canada, and I've never thought of the question of appearance. Here it's normal to have a plug hanging out the front. In the Summer, yeah wrap it up and store in the engine compartment, but in the winter I'll usually put it as close to the end and let it hang out like in the Taurus pic above.

Now on the new Fords (Trucks) you can actually plug into them, so there is no dangling cord. Nice idea. I got the Block Heater factory installed as it's a necessity when it hits -35 Centigrade here or lower.

I ordered Remote Start from Factory and didn't get the bi-directional option :(.... I don't even know if it was a from Factory option.

I got my block heater installed yesterday and it hangs out just past the end of the plug on the right side lower grill area by the fog lights. You really don't see it unless you are looking. Just the plug head is all that is sticking out past the grill so you can hold it while plugginn in the power cord. Of course last nigh didn't get very cold and I have a garage but as soon as I backed out of the garage I could feel the hot air coming out the dash vent.

Dave: Do you have the Ford part # for the block heater? I can't find it anywhere on line.

I just went to my dealer and he looked it up. Here is what is printed on my receipt if this helps. AE5Z6B018B is the wire asy at 124.60. and YF1Z6A051AA is the heater asy at 51.65.

It was for any 2.5 engine and named about 3 cars plus Fusion Electric.

I just went to my dealer and he looked it up. Here is what is printed on my receipt if this helps. AE5Z6B018B is the wire asy at 124.60. and YF1Z6A051AA is the heater asy at 51.65.

It was for any 2.5 engine and named about 3 cars plus Fusion Electric.

How much was installation? And our Canadian member notwithstanding, how does it look? Is there a wire hanging out the grill or is it tucked away. I want a block heater but don't want it to look bad.

Richard

How much was installation? And our Canadian member notwithstanding, how does it look? Is there a wire hanging out the grill or is it tucked away. I want a block heater but don't want it to look bad.

Richard

$100 to install. No I don't think it looks bad at all. It is right down beside the fog light coming out of the lower grill. He has it tied off so only the head of the plug with cover sticks outside of the grill. No way is it like the pictures someone posted above. If you weren't looking for it you would most likely not even see it. If someone asks, I'm just going to tell them I have an expermental next generation Hybrid that is plug in :hysterical2: