RoushSEL

Seatbelt Dinger Question

I have a 07 Jack Roush Edition SEL and I was wondering what I had to do to disable the dinger that dings when you don't use your seatbelt.

I have a 07 Jack Roush Edition SEL and I was wondering what I had to do to disable the dinger that dings when you don't use your seatbelt.

Hi RoushSEL. If you truly insist on driving with no seatbelt, the instructions for disabling the warning chime are in the Owners Manual.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi RoushSEL. If you truly insist on driving with no seatbelt, the instructions for disabling the warning chime are in the Owners Manual.

You should also disable the air bags too. And make sure your life insurance is paid up. :hysterical2:

Last time I checked, we were free to do what we wanted. If you INSIST on wearing a seatbelt, great, but I get to choose wheather I do or not. If you don't agree, thats your right, but it's my right to CHOOSE! I am so sick of people trying to PREACH that THEIR way is the ONLY way. you don't have to agree, thats what makes this AMERICA. If you don't agree, great, then DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

Last time I checked, we were free to do what we wanted. If you INSIST on wearing a seatbelt, great, but I get to choose wheather I do or not. If you don't agree, thats your right, but it's my right to CHOOSE! I am so sick of people trying to PREACH that THEIR way is the ONLY way. you don't have to agree, thats what makes this AMERICA. If you don't agree, great, then DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

And you're also free to jump off a bridge or blow your brains out, too. Does that mean we should all help you do it?

Besides being a smart thing to do, it's the law in most states (if not all).

And if you think it doesn't affect other people, you're wrong. Your decision not to wear a seatbelt WILL affect the severity of your injuries if we're involved in a crash and it could mean the difference between vehicular homicide or just a traffic ticket.

Unfortunately there are no laws against stupidity.

Whoa!

My point in shutting off the air bags if you don't wear seat belts is simply because without the belts on to restrain you, and the air bag is deployed, the air bag can kill you.

The air bags AND the seat belts are part of a system to try to keep you alive in a crash. That's your right to not wear them if it is not against the law in your state.

Whoa!

My point in shutting off the air bags if you don't wear seat belts is simply because without the belts on to restrain you, and the air bag is deployed, the air bag can kill you.

Airbags were actually designed and implemented initially BECAUSE people wouldn't wear seatbelts. That's why they were so high-powered. They are more effective when used with seatbelts but airbags work perfectly fine without seatbelts - for adults.

The only problem is when you have small children or very small adults who don't match up with the airbags.

Airbags were actually designed and implemented initially BECAUSE people wouldn't wear seatbelts. That's why they were so high-powered. They are more effective when used with seatbelts but airbags work perfectly fine without seatbelts - for adults.

The only problem is when you have small children or very small adults who don't match up with the airbags.

You sure are correct. I just read the manual. It will only kill SMALL unbuckled passengers. That is the reason it is automatically disabled (The passenger frontal and side air bags) for small "loads".

But after reading the entire section, with all the pre-tensioners, computer controlled deployment, etc. I can't understand why anyone would NOT want to wear the seat belts.

But - It's a free country. And have a smoke with that. :doh:

You sure are correct. I just read the manual. It will only kill SMALL unbuckled passengers. That is the reason it is automatically disabled (The passenger frontal and side air bags) for small "loads".

But after reading the entire section, with all the pre-tensioners, computer controlled deployment, etc. I can't understand why anyone would NOT want to wear the seat belts.

But - It's a free country. And have a smoke with that. :doh:

They also depowered the airbags since seat belts are a requirement now. Sure wish they'd done that in the first place.

Anytime you hear about a vehicle rollover and folks being ejected, you can almost be sure that they weren't wearing seatbelts and if they were they'd still be alive today.

Personally, I don't think anyone should be held responsible for injuries or death incurred by a driver or passenger not wearing a seatbelt. And that includes the insurance companies. If people want to be stupid that's fine - just don't hold me accountable or raise my insurance rates to cover their stupidity.

Same goes for motorcycle riders without helmets. Just ask Gary Busey (if he can actually understand a question).

If I recall correctly, you latch the belt, then promptly unlatch it and it should stop chiming.

Last time I checked, you are required by law to wear your seatbelt (driver). So, yes you have the right to choose, you then choose to not operate the vehicle. What if I chose to fly a plane, seen it done hundreds of times, free country right?

Good luck with that chime thingy...

Ask anyone (me for one) who has been in a full-on 40+ MPH accident, it was the seat belt that saved me from

serious injury, I walked away - the air bag did nothing because the seat belt did its job.

I will never get in a car without my seatbelt after that experience. And can imagine anybody

in their right mind wouldn't wear theirs if they had that experience.

Oh, and stop driving up the cost of our car insurance, health insurance and life insurance...

I'm not willing to pay for your choice.

I agree that people should wear seatbelts. I always wear mine. Some of my work is auto accident litigation, so I'm familiar with the consequences. But I turned off the passenger belt warning for two reasons:

1. I often place heavy objects on the passenger seat. My briefcase is often heavy enough to trigger the warning. Having to latch the belt for a phantom passenger is annoying.

2. I sometimes have friends / co-workers riding shotgun who choose not to wear a seatbelt. When it's a loved one, I've got no problem telling them to buckle up, but when it's a co-worker, especially my boss, I don't like having to explain to them that my car is beeping because they're not wearing their seatbelt. It's embarrassing for me, and it's probably embarrassing for them to be lectured by me or my car.

I appreciate that Ford, unlike some of the Japanese automakers, allow the customer the freedom to choose to disable the warning. Very American of them.

Of course, these reasons probably won't make any sense to someone who responds to a message board inquiry with a wag of the finger and "wear your seatbelt." :)

Here is another good reason to want to disable the chime. My mailbox is about 1/4 mile from my house. In the morning on my way to work I drive down there to drop off mail at a maximum speed of 15 mph. I really see no need to put on my seatbelt at 5:30 AM on a deserted road at 15 mph for about 30 seconds. All the time listening to the stupid chime. I have to listen to the chime after work too when I pick up the mail.

Deactivating/activating the Belt-Minder feature

The driver and front passenger Belt-Minder are

deactivated/activated independently. When deactivating/activating

one seating position, do not buckle the other position as this will

terminate the process.

Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the

deactivation/activation programming procedure.

Note: The driver and front passenger Belt-Minder features must be

disabled/enabled separately. Both cannot be disable/enabled during the

same key cycle.

The driver and front passenger Belt-Minder features can be

deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:

Before following the procedure, make sure that:

• The parking brake is set

• The gearshift is in N (Neutral) (manual transmission)

• The gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission)

• The ignition switch is in the OFF position

• The driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT

START THE ENGINE)

2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1–2

minutes)

• Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt

warning light turns off.

3. For the seating position being disabled, at a moderate speed, buckle

then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending in the unbuckled state.

(Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt

warning light turns off.)

• After Step 3, the safety belt warning light will be turned on for three

seconds.

4. Within 10 seconds of the light turning on, at a moderate speed, buckle

then unbuckle the safety belt.

• This will disable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position if it

is currently enabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning light will

flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds.

• This will enable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position if it

is currently disabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning light will

flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the

light off, then followed by the safety belt warning light flashing 4 times

per second for 3 seconds again.

Taken from the 2007 Ford Fusion Owner Manual. Driving without seatbelts is unsafe, but is a personal choice. There are likely times when the vehicle will only be driven a very short distance at a very low speed (car show, parking lot, mail box run, etc.) when a seatbelt isn't necessary and the vehicle would like to tell you. Good Luck and Drive Safely.

Taken from the 2007 Ford Fusion Owner Manual. Driving without seatbelts is unsafe, but is a personal choice. There are likely times when the vehicle will only be driven a very short distance at a very low speed (car show, parking lot, mail box run, etc.) when a seatbelt isn't necessary and the vehicle would like to tell you. Good Luck and Drive Safely.

I tried this in a 2010 se and it didnt work...is there a different way to do it in this car???

I tried this in a 2010 se and it didnt work...is there a different way to do it in this car???

Hi firebuff. :D Not sure about all of the instructions but I can tell you that some of the procedural time limits have changed.

The correct instructions to disable the Belt-Minder feature in your Fusion are located in your Owners Manual. Therefore, the quickest and easiest way to get the correct instructions for your 2010 Fusion would be to check your Owners Manual. In this way, you have them right in front of you when you perform the procedure.

From the 2008 Ford Fusion manual (page 133):

Reasons given...
“Traffic is light” 
Consider...
Nearly 1 of 2 deaths occur in 
single-vehicle crashes, many when 
no other vehicles are around. 

Reason given...
“Belts wrinkle my clothes” 
Consider...
Possibly, but a serious crash can do 
much more than wrinkle your clothes, 
particularly if you are unbelted. 

Reason given...
“The people I’m with don’t 
wear belts” 
Consider...
Set the example, teen deaths occur 4 
times more often in vehicles with 
TWO or MORE people. Children and 
younger brothers/sisters imitate 
behavior they see. 

Reason given...
“I have an airbag” 
Consider...
Airbags offer greater protection when 
used with safety belts. Frontal airbags 
are not designed to inflate in rear and 
side crashes or rollovers. 

Reason given...
“I’d rather be thrown clear” 
Consider...
Not a good idea. People who are 
ejected are 40 times more likely 
to DIE. Safety belts help prevent 
ejection, WE CAN’T “PICK OUR 
CRASH”. 

Warning!
Do not sit on top of a buckled safety belt or insert a latchplate 
into the buckle to avoid the Belt-Minde chime. To do so may 
adversely affect the performance of the vehicle’s air bag system. 
Seating and Safety Restraints 

Here in Brazil, seat belts are obligatory.

But not everyone uses them.

Since I was a child, my dad told me to use the belt, even in the back seat.

When I drive, the passengers may choose: use the belt or walk.

Andre

Edited by cinelli

Thanks for all that helped with this post! It worked! And to all those that oppose not using the seatbelt thats your opinon! I use mine if I go on long trips. But 90% of my time spent is going about 5 miles down a country road to a store and back! And I also know just as many times a seatbelt killed someone in a crash as I do when it helped!

But 90% of my time spent is going about 5 miles down a country road to a store and back!

Because nobody has ever had an accident on a country road before. Unless you're driving 20 mph the whole way you're being foolish.

And I also know just as many times a seatbelt killed someone in a crash as I do when it helped!

Absolute, pure BS. If you don't wear one then fine but don't make up stories to try and rationalize your decision.

Because nobody has ever had an accident on a country road before. Unless you're driving 20 mph the whole way you're being foolish.

Absolute, pure BS. If you don't wear one then fine but don't make up stories to try and rationalize your decision.

Look here jk @$$ I'm not making anything up! The speed limit on the road is only 25. And your lucky if you pass another car on the road every other time I travel down it! So much like the others on here! It's my opotion and life! I myself was in a accident where the top of my roof was ripped off! Now what do you think would've happened then if I would have had my belt on and couldn't have ducked down!

I myself was in a accident where the top of my roof was ripped off! Now what do you think would've happened then if I would have had my belt on and couldn't have ducked down!

You could have still ducked down - seatbelts don't prevent that. What they do is keep you in the seat when the vehicle rolls over and keeps you from flying around the cabin in the event of a crash.

Wearing a seatbelt is at least a thousand times safer than not wearing one. I can't believe you would even debate such a thing. How many rollover crashes have you seen where the occupants were ejected and killed? 99% of those could have been prevented by wearing a seatbelt. Go ask the police and state troopers who see crashes every day.