Deathlok

Washing/Detailing your car: What do you do/use?

I havent found an interior protector yet that didn't outgas onto the windshield. Seems like no matter which one I tried, a few weeks later I had gook on the inside of the window.

What's this claybar you talking about?

I think everyone has their preferences on cleaning/detailing/brands... just like preferences for beers, or cars, or whatever. They all get the job done to varying degrees, and the one you like is always the best and the guy who has another preference doesn't know what he's talking about.

I like Meguiars, below is a quick 2 minute clip on using a clay bar. Use this brand or another, I think the concept is the same.

I use that too. Either one, Mothers, or Meguires is good, just depends on pricing, whichever is on sale I get.

Here is an attachment that I've attached to a cordless drill and used for several years (and bristles have not deteriorated)... give it a spin in the bucket and then hold sideways against the wheel and hit the trigger (each wheel takes about 15-20 seconds)... works very well on my 17" wheels and I've just visited my dealer to see the 18" wheels (that come with Titanium Hybrid) in person and using this would probably be a big time saver with all those 'spokes'. I saw this in the Skymall magazine several years ago while on a flight and was the only time I've ever ordered from there (don't see if on their site now)... but you can also find similar ones at (both URLs are for same product, first appears to be a pass-through with Amazon - for those who may not want yet another customer account etc):

http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Brush-Cordless-Power-Scrubber/dp/B002DLYV22/

http://drillbrush.net/Drill_Brush_Original_Yellow_and_Black.html

Drill_Brush_zps664ae69f.jpg

Added - I also bought one of the below, was $20 more than the one above, and doesn't seem to work as well (though probably more suitable for hard-to-reach places on the rims, etc).

drillbrush_zps6c79e785.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

I may give them a try, I could really use some good wheel cleaner, the wheels on the FTI are gloss black and the brake dust and road dirt really show quickly.

I know where they are coming from, and they are correct, however, what they are referring to is your average car owner going out and hand washing the car every weekend, and they are 100% correct. It will destroy the cars finish if you do that. If you are doing a start to finish detailing of the paint, then following the recommendations from Zaino will have no ill effects on the paint since you are applying protectant right after stripping off all the old wax and dirt. Also if you only use Zaino and never wax again, you never have to use Dawn ever again to clean the car.

Another way to strip old wax off is to use a chemical degreaser that is used to prep the paint before repainting, however, I would much rather use Dawn than that stuff, it smell nasty and you dont want it on your skin, plus you have to wash it off or the wax wont really stick well.

Besides Dawn is very gentle, have you see them washing birds and animals after an oil spill, they use Dawn to clean them.

When you have the time. This is a great series on a 2 bucket car wash.

Starting with this one.

http//:www.youtube.com/watch?v=w09r6m6sRCA

Link came off the Tesla Model S guide.

I use the 2 bucket system too. Especially since I have a gravel drive and the underside of the rockers and wheel wells gets fine grit on them.

BTW, my wheels are always clean! Its like NO brake dust, ever! Couldn't say the same for the 2010, there was always some small amount on them, even though the pads had little wear after 44K.

I no doubt looked rather silly using my wife's pink hair dryer to dry the car,

This is where pictures would help -