Rodeo

Snow Tire and New WHEEL advice please?

Hey guys, a little advice please?

I was stuck in a quandry about whether to order a FF with either FWD or AWD and while I see virtues to both, I also see potential problems too. I thought of a third option. I could order the car with FWD and then take the money I would have spent on AWD and buy a set (4) of Snow tires and wheels.

So, here are my questions:

1. How fast can I expect snow tires to wear out? Assuming I run them 3 months a year, say roughly 4000 miles a season on the car.

2. I plan to buy the Sport Handling with 18" wheels on an SEL model. Do I need 18" replacement wheels or can / should I look at a different size? Is one size more common and economical to buy?

P.S. I just thought that I could use the stock wheels (which I'm not crazy about) and mount the snow tires on those and use the new wheels I pick out for the 9 month daily driver tires. Sound logical? Or are 18" snows not practical? What size is the stock 18" wheels? 7.5" or 8" wide?

3. Any specific recommendations as far as brand etc? Should I look to internet order them (Tire Rack etc?)

4. Does this sound like a logical approach that I will realize does work or am I just "spinning my wheels" here.

5. Are snow / performance tires going to work to satisfaction or should I forgo the performance aspect and get regular snows?

6. Are there any brands of wheels that are known to be problematic or should be avoided because of low quality?

Thanks and this Forum is a great place for info isn't it?

I would suggest going with the 17" standard wheels and putting snow tires on those. Then you can buy whatever size and style summer wheels and tires you want. Not sure about price but the selection of winter tires for 16" or 17" wheels is a lot bigger than 18" wheels. The only issue with smaller wheels is if they clear the brake rotors and calipers. Tirerack.com has a lot of good information on winter wheels and tires.

I would suggest going with the 17" standard wheels and putting snow tires on those. Then you can buy whatever size and style summer wheels and tires you want. Not sure about price but the selection of winter tires for 16" or 17" wheels is a lot bigger than 18" wheels. The only issue with smaller wheels is if they clear the brake rotors and calipers. Tirerack.com has a lot of good information on winter wheels and tires.

Except my stock wheels will be 18s already as I'm buying the Appearance package to get the sport handling suspension. So, it's likely I will use those existing stock 18" wheels for my new snow tires. Then I can get nicer new 18" wheels to remount the stock tires onto them for regular use. (A little extra cost but well worth the effort.)

Except my stock wheels will be 18s already as I'm buying the Appearance package to get the sport handling suspension. So, it's likely I will use those existing stock 18" wheels for my new snow tires. Then I can get nicer new 18" wheels to remount the stock tires onto them for regular use. (A little extra cost but well worth the effort.)

As long as you can get the snow tires you want in 18" size then that should work although it might cost a bit more.

As long as you can get the snow tires you want in 18" size then that should work although it might cost a bit more.

Tire Rack shows 5-7 options as far as 18" Performance Snow tires, Michellin Alpin etc. One of those should suffice I guess. The more I think about this idea, the more I like it.

I've recently purchased a new 2010 tuxedo black Ford Fusion SEL I-4 with 17 inch rims. With winter fast approaching I'm trying to decide on a quality, reasonably priced winter tire to purchase. I'd prefer to buy new rims and install the winter tires on them instead of paying to put them on and off during the seaon changeover.

Because 17 inch tires are definitely more expensive then 16 inchers; I'm thinking of buying 16 inch rims and installing 16 inch winter tires.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good idea? How does this affect TPMS? And thoughts on a good brand of tire?

PS: Live in a land where winter tires are on 6 months a year.

If you don't care how your car looks all Winter, go with the 16s. Personally, I'll be mounting (4) 235/45-18 Bridgestone Blizzaks on my factory 18" wheels. And use my existing 235/45-18 Generals & Sport Tuning Flight wheels in the summer.

I've recently purchased a new 2010 tuxedo black Ford Fusion SEL I-4 with 17 inch rims. With winter fast approaching I'm trying to decide on a quality, reasonably priced winter tire to purchase. I'd prefer to buy new rims and install the winter tires on them instead of paying to put them on and off during the seaon changeover.

Because 17 inch tires are definitely more expensive then 16 inchers; I'm thinking of buying 16 inch rims and installing 16 inch winter tires.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good idea? How does this affect TPMS? And thoughts on a good brand of tire?

PS: Live in a land where winter tires are on 6 months a year.

Hi canadianfusion. :D Is it a good idea? While the answer to that question is a personal decision, installing 16" wheels is certainly a viable option. It can be done with no problems. I agree with 2010SEL that the 16's will not "look as good" as the 17's, but that is a personal preference.

If you also purchase new TPMS sensors for your new wheels, it will not affect TPMS at all. Just be sure whoever mounts the new tires/wheels/sensors also programs the new sensors (to avoid a TPMS warning). Other than that, you will have no worries, as the TPMS sensor simply monitors the pressure contained in the tire. Of course, if you do not install TPMS sensors on the new wheels, your TPMS warning light will be illuminated almost all winter long.

More important than the TPMS though is being sure you mount the correct tire size. You need to compensate for the smaller diameter wheel with a higher "sidewall ratio" tire. Otherwise the speedometer and odometer will read incorrectly. Your stock 17's come with a 225/50-17 tire. You will need to mount a 205/60-16 tire on the 16" wheels (which is the standard tire on Fusions factory equipped with 16" wheels).

By using the 205/60 tire, you will maintain the proper overall wheel/tire diameter. This will keep your speedometer and odometer within factory spec.

Or you can stick with 17's and the same tire size as you have now (225/50-17). I do realize they generally will cost more in comparison though, apples to apples.

Concerning tire recommendations: I would recommend doing some research on websites such as The Tire Rack LINK: The Tire Rack and Discount Tire LINK: Discount Tire. They have great informational databases, consumer and professional ratings etc etc. They also sell wheel/tire/sensor packages, all mounted and balanced, if that is something you would be interested in.

The prices available from both companies are also very good. So you can research and buy, or just use their information to choose, then purchase locally if you like.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I definitely will be installing 205 60 16 tires on steel wheels for winter. 16" tires are much less expensive and have much larger choice of brands than 17".

I definitely will be installing 205 60 16 tires on steel wheels for winter. 16" tires are much less expensive and have much larger choice of brands than 17".

Not only that but due to the road conditions in winter, I find it better to have a larger sidewall to compenstate for potholes and road heaving. I have had two 17" rims destroyed by one pothole at the same time with the low profile tires. I was only going 35 MPH at the time but both the front and back right side wheels hit the pothole square. I run 16" wheels on my Mazda3 in the winter and it makes the ride much more comfortable. Plus I am not as concerned about hitting any debris. Last year was driving through the woods in an ice storm and had to drive over a few 3" - 4" thick branches. Didn't hesitate for a minute and actually enjoyed it.

As far as the question of performance winter tires. I drive mostly on the highway so I use the Dunlop wintersport tires. I find that for my needs highspeed performance is more important than low speed traction in the snow. My wife drives mostly on backroads so we will be putting blizzak W60's on the Fusion for the winter. You can order them in the 16" size on tirerack.com already mounted and balanced on steel rims for less than $600. If you want TPMS sensors installed it is another $150.

I don't use the sensors on my Mazda in the winter. I get used to the light after the 2nd or 3rd time driving without them. I am not sure how distracting the light on the Fusion will be yet since we have only had the car for a week.

Hi canadianfusion. :D Is it a good idea? While the answer to that question is a personal decision, installing 16" wheels is certainly a viable option. It can be done with no problems. I agree with 2010SEL that the 16's will not "look as good" as the 17's, but that is a personal preference.

If you also purchase new TPMS sensors for your new wheels, it will not affect TPMS at all. Just be sure whoever mounts the new tires/wheels/sensors also programs the new sensors (to avoid a TPMS warning). Other than that, you will have no worries, as the TPMS sensor simply monitors the pressure contained in the tire. Of course, if you do not install TPMS sensors on the new wheels, your TPMS warning light will be illuminated almost all winter long.

More important than the TPMS though is being sure you mount the correct tire size. You need to compensate for the smaller diameter wheel with a higher "sidewall ratio" tire. Otherwise the speedometer and odometer will read incorrectly. Your stock 17's come with a 225/50-17 tire. You will need to mount a 205/60-16 tire on the 16" wheels (which is the standard tire on Fusions factory equipped with 16" wheels).

By using the 205/60 tire, you will maintain the proper overall wheel/tire diameter. This will keep your speedometer and odometer within factory spec.

Hi BBF2530,

I bought a Fusion 2010 SEL and it came with Michelin 225/50R17 93V m+S. I traded in my 2005 Mitsubishi Gallant and I still have Goodyear snow tires that were installed on the Gallant. Their rating is 205/60R16 92T M+S.

I did some claculation as described on tirerack (I could be wrong) and it seems that if I install 205/60R16 on my Fusion, it will be 1.17" shorter on height. do you think that is alright? Also if I want to install these 16" tire, can I still have TPS? I am not sure if we can get it in Canada. My Ford dealer does not deal in tires so I will have to get the installation done at somewhere else.

Thank you!

Hi BBF2530,

I bought a Fusion 2010 SEL and it came with Michelin 225/50R17 93V m+S. I traded in my 2005 Mitsubishi Gallant and I still have Goodyear snow tires that were installed on the Gallant. Their rating is 205/60R16 92T M+S.

I did some claculation as described on tirerack (I could be wrong) and it seems that if I install 205/60R16 on my Fusion, it will be 1.17" shorter on height. do you think that is alright? Also if I want to install these 16" tire, can I still have TPS? I am not sure if we can get it in Canada. My Ford dealer does not deal in tires so I will have to get the installation done at somewhere else.

Thank you!

225/50-17 = 25.85" dia

205/60-16 = 25.68" dia

There is not enough difference in dia to matter. Less than 1% difference.

I seriuosly doubt if the '10 Fusion TPMS sensors will be compatible with the '05 Mazda wheels. But anything is possible.

225/50-17 = 25.85" dia

205/60-16 = 25.68" dia

I seriuosly doubt if the '10 Fusion TPMS sensors will be compatible with the '05 Mazda wheels. But anything is possible.

I find this webpage very helpful when comparing tire sizes.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

225/50-17 = 25.85" dia

205/60-16 = 25.68" dia

Thank you so much! My calculation was so wrong.

I think I dont have to spend a lot on winter pachage now. I might just but TPM sensor and configuration software and that should be fine.

Any suggestion from where I can buy TPMS and cost.

Hi BBF2530,

Thank you!

Hi 100NU. :D Sorry for the late response. As others have informed you (and you figured out yourself), your calculations were a bit off. Approximately a .2" difference in overall diameter. That is well within spec.

The 205/60-16 tire is the standard Fusion S tire size, so you will be just fine using them on your SEL. EDITED - If the 2005 Mitsubishi wheels are not Fusion compatible, you will need to purchase suitable winter wheels which fit the Fusion, along with TPMS snsors (if you do not want an all winter-long TPMS warning light staring back at you).

Hi 100NU. :D Sorry for the late response. As others have informed you (and you figured out yourself), your calculations were a bit off. Approximately a .2" difference in overall diameter. That is well within spec.

The 205/60-16 tire is the standard Fusion S tire size, so you will be just fine using them on your SEL. I am assuming the 2005 Mitsubishi wheels are not compatible with the Fusion, so you will likely need to purchase suitable winter wheels for the Fusion, along with TPMS snsors (if you do not want an all winter-long TPMS warning light staring back at you).

Thanks again BBF!

I "think" that Gallant wheel should be suitable for Fusion as it also has five holes. I do not have any idea about automobile and I just go with whatever my mechanic tells me. But now, I have three Ford on our drive way and this great forum to learn stuff so why not try doing something myself.

I would like to install TPMS on my winter tires as I hate those warning lights.

Is there a way to find out whether my Gallant wheel would fit on Fusion?

And also where can I buy these TPMS for my car?

Thanks!

Thanks again BBF!

I "think" that Gallant wheel should be suitable for Fusion as it also has five holes. I do not have any idea about automobile and I just go with whatever my mechanic tells me. But now, I have three Ford on our drive way and this great forum to learn stuff so why not try doing something myself.

Thanks!

I can't promise anything, but there's a pretty good chance that your Mitsu wheels will fit. Not because they have 5-holes (there are many different sizes of 5-hole patterns), but because most Japanese brands do use the same pattern as the Fusion. I used to use Mitsubishi wheels on my Ford Probe.

You can always buy the TPMS sensors from the dealer, or search on eBay. The 2010 Fusion uses the valve-stem style sensor, not the band sensor like the 2008,2009. It's possible those will fit on the Mitsu wheels, but really only a good tire shop will be able to confirm that, and they'll have to dismount the tires to find out.

Thanks again BBF!

Thanks!

Hi 100NU. :D As Waldo stated, there are many different types of 5 lug wheels, so your best bet would be to bring one of the wheels to a good local tire shop and ask them.

You could simply jack up your car and check yourself by attempting to mount one of the Galant wheels. However, since you say you are new to all of this, you should really get the advice of a professional.

Here is why you should get professional advice: There is much more involved in properly fitting a wheel to your Fusion than just the 16" diameter and "5 holes".

First, as Waldo stated, the "holes" are often spaced differently on different brand and model cars. For example, the Fusion's "5 holes" are a spaced in a 5x114.3mm pattern. If your Galant wheels do not have that same 5x114.3mm spacing, they will not work.

Also, the "centerbore" (or hub) size of the Fusion wheel is 67.1mm. If your Galant wheels centerbore is smaller than that, they will not work. If it is larger, then your tire shop can provide a "hub ring" to take up the space and you can still use them.

Next, the Galant wheels must have an "offset" that will fit the Fusion. This is the relationship of the wheels mounting surface to the wheels center-line. An incorrect "offset' will result in the wheel rubbing, either on the suspension or on the outer wheel-well. This would e extremely dangerous.

As stated above, if you really want to try and "do-it-yourself" you can simply jack up the Fusion, remove a wheel and see if the Galant wheel will fit. But since you are new to this, you may overlook a slight misfit that can cause damage to your car. You can also do a bit of online research and find the size specs of your particular Galant wheel if you like. Keep in mind that just like the Fusion, the Galant can come with various size wheels options. So you need to be sure which one you are researching.

My thoughts? Your best bet would be to take one of the Galant wheels to a tire shop you trust and let them take a look. In fact, a good shop may be able to check the sizes online (or in a workshop manual) and tell you over the phone. If I were you, I would bring one to the shop for sizing.

Both 2005 Galant and 2010 Fusion have a 4.5" x 5-lug bolt pattern. Wheel offset is very similar too. Only thing I could not determine is if the center bore on the Galant wheels is big enough to fit the Fusion hub. Probably is. All you need to do is take a wheel off and try it!

Thank you guys. You all have been very helpful.

I called my Ford dealer and they charge Can $ 53.00 for each sensor and then Can $ 80.00 for installation. They were not sure about the suitability of Gallant wheels on Fusion.

I searched for information about how can I find offset values for Gallant and Fusion but couldn’t find anything.

Thank you guys. You all have been very helpful.

I called my Ford dealer and they charge Can $ 53.00 for each sensor and then Can $ 80.00 for installation. They were not sure about the suitability of Gallant wheels on Fusion.

I searched for information about how can I find offset values for Gallant and Fusion but couldn’t find anything.

Hi 100NU. :D You can find the TPMSsensors for much less than the Dealer will charge and have them installed for less also.

The offset for the factory Fusion 17" wheel is +44. It is a 17"x7.5" wheel. Offhand, I do not know the offset of the Fusion's factory 16" wheel is. The 16" is the one you would need to approximate with the winter tire wheels

This is why you should really consult a professional: You are going to a smaller diameter wheel (16"). Most likely it will also be a narrower width wheel than the Fusion 17x7.5". So that will change the offset necessary to properly clear the suspension and outer wheelwell (for safety), while still maintaining a proper look (not too far inward or outward of the outer fender lip).

If you want to do some quick research to learn about these things, I would recommend going to The Tire Rack website LINK: The Tire Rack

There you can read up on the "FAQ" and "Informational" sections concerning proper fitment of wheels and tires to your car.

Until you have a little more experience, I just want you to be careful and avoid doing anything that may damage your new car.

Hi 100NU. :D You can find the TPMSsensors for much less than the Dealer will charge and have them installed for less also.

The offset for the factory Fusion 17" wheel is +44. It is a 17"x7.5" wheel. Offhand, I do not know the offset of the Fusion's factory 16" wheel is. The 16" is the one you would need to approximate with the winter tire wheels

This is why you should really consult a professional: You are going to a smaller diameter wheel (16"). Most likely it will also be a narrower width wheel than the Fusion 17x7.5". So that will change the offset necessary to properly clear the suspension and outer wheelwell (for safety), while still maintaining a proper look (not too far inward or outward of the outer fender lip).

If you want to do some quick research to learn about these things, I would recommend going to The Tire Rack website LINK: The Tire Rack

There you can read up on the "FAQ" and "Informational" sections concerning proper fitment of wheels and tires to your car.

Until you have a little more experience, I just want you to be careful and avoid doing anything that may damage your new car.

Thanks again BBF,

I still have one more month till winter arrives. I spoke to three mechanics (Ford and two Goodyear) and they all seem to be OK with 16" tire on 2010 Fusion subject to tire inspection.

I tried searching on web for TPMS but there are so many options available and I am not sure which one to go for. I would highly appreciate if someone here can recommend one.

Thanks again BBF,

I still have one more month till winter arrives. I spoke to three mechanics (Ford and two Goodyear) and they all seem to be OK with 16" tire on 2010 Fusion subject to tire inspection.

I tried searching on web for TPMS but there are so many options available and I am not sure which one to go for. I would highly appreciate if someone here can recommend one.

Hi 100NU. :D You are welcome.

However, I think part of my reply may have been confusing. Yes, there is no doubt that a 16" snow tire will be fine for your Fusion. That we had already established.

The question we (or I) do not yet know the answer to is whether the 16" Galant wheels will properly fit your Fusion. They may even fit on the lugs, but can still cause damage to your car if they are the wrong offset. That is why I am recommending you visit a tire shop for professional advice.

Sorry if my earlier replies were confusing.

Concerning the TPMS sensor pricing: Try The Tire Rack, Discount Tire and Ebay for starters.

If you go to Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct and do a search for wheels for either car, the list that comes up is exactly the same for either one. The wheels are interchangeable between the 2 cars. Like I said before, as long as the hub hole on the Galant wheel fits over the hub on the Fusion, you can use the Galant wheels on it. Its easy enough to find out.