FFHdriver

Locking Gas Cap

Got one for my car today at the dealer. It's part number 8U5Z 9C268 B. About $20. The key is used to lock and of course unlock it. Ford calls it a Plug.

Got one for my car today at the dealer. It's part number 8U5Z 9C268 B. About $20. The key is used to lock and of course unlock it. Ford calls it a Plug.

That'll keep people from putting something in your tank; that's for sure. You can't siphon from them though if that's what drove you to buying one. They all have anti-siphon valves, and/or screens in them nowadays. That's why they were punching holes in the tanks when gas was $4.00+ a gallon last summer.

That'll keep people from putting something in your tank; that's for sure. You can't siphon from them though if that's what drove you to buying one. They all have anti-siphon valves, and/or screens in them nowadays. That's why they were punching holes in the tanks when gas was $4.00+ a gallon last summer.

The input was what I was thinking about. Anti-syphoning has been around for years, I remember the first time I ran into it when trying to get some gas for the lawn mower from my car.

The input was what I was thinking about. Anti-syphoning has been around for years, I remember the first time I ran into it when trying to get some gas for the lawn mower from my car.

Yep, I tried to get some out of my truck (36 gallon tank, F150) for the same thing and it was impossible. My next "car" is going to be a hybrid Fusion, but I have a 2009 gasser Fusion right now. I think my 1996 Ranger was the last vehicle I was able to siphon out of.

What are you guys doing to make people put crap in your gas tank? I've never had a locking cap and probably never will.

What are you guys doing to make people put crap in your gas tank? I've never had a locking cap and probably never will.

That doesn't happen up here, but in some cities, people do stupid shit when they get bored.

Is the key a separate key? Is it keyed to the vehicle, or will any Ford key open the thing?

It has a separate small key. I assume each cap has a different key.

Some people simply do stupid things, without being provoked. Reasoning? My mind doesn't work that way, but I've been around long enough, seen, and know that these things often occur due to:

for kicks; to try and "impress" others; college initiations; dissatisfaction with a particular car maker and subsequent "payback/revenge"; the thrill of a challenge for vandalism; pranks; jealousy; rebellion against an environmental/political issue such as manufactured outsourcing, etc.

All completely illogical reasons, indeed. Some are just plain stupid, ignorant, irresponsible, disrespectful, unintelligent, destructive, etc.

Some people simply do stupid things, without being provoked. Reasoning? My mind doesn't work that way, but I've been around long enough, seen, and know that these things often occur due to:

for kicks; to try and "impress" others; college initiations; dissatisfaction with a particular car maker and subsequent "payback/revenge"; the thrill of a challenge for vandalism; pranks; jealousy; rebellion against an environmental/political issue such as manufactured outsourcing, etc.

All completely illogical reasons, indeed. Some are just plain stupid, ignorant, irresponsible, disrespectful, unintelligent, destructive, etc.

I guess I've only heard about it as a revenge or retribution thing against a specific person, not as a general act of vandalism.

I guess I've only heard about it as a revenge or retribution thing against a specific person, not as a general act of vandalism.

it does often happen in the form of vandalism

Understood, and you're right, but it does happen anonymously, as well. This summer, some idiot at Walmart, keyed the words "buy American" and "losers" into over a dozen Honda and Toyota's in the parking lot!! They got it all on video! Wonder who the real loser was? He knew none of the victims, and none of them personally provoked the incident.

But we were talking about stuff in the gas tank, not getting keyed. It takes planning and forethought to put something in someone's gas tank and that usually doesn't happen randomly or unprovoked.

No doubt about it, a lot of misconduct is personal in nature, no argument there. Irregardless, in the end, it's really irrelevant. It's unlawful and undeserved. It doesn't matter what "anyone did", nor the frequency in which it occurs. I don't blame anyone for taking a precautionary measure to try and avoid such of a destructive act, be it provoked or unprovoked.

But the second part of my posting was conveniently excluded. Here it is again: "a few years ago, my nephew had stuff poured into his tank at Joe Robbie Stadium, and "Bills suck" keyed into his car. All because he had a Buffalo Bills plate on the front".

He got the best of both worlds; keyed, and the gas tank deal. One-stop shopping.

My point was in response to you wondering what some had done, to provoke such an incident. My nephew is quiet, reserved, and mild-mannered. He did nothing except display his teams colors, in "enemy" territory. It's a crying shame that there are idiots out there who act out against proud displays of loyalty, but I don't think he qualified as being provocative, and it certainly does not justify the vandalism.

No doubt about it, a lot of misconduct is personal in nature, no argument there. Irregardless, in the end, it's really irrelevant. It's unlawful and undeserved. It doesn't matter what "anyone did", nor the frequency in which it occurs. I don't blame anyone for taking a precautionary measure to try and avoid such of a destructive act, be it provoked or unprovoked.

For the record, neither of the tanks on my rides are locked. But there may be trip-wire activated claymores awaiting vandals......

I didn't exclude it. I said 'unprovoked'. Keying a car because it's displaying a Bills tag in the Dolphins home stadium is stupid and idiotic but it would hardly fall under the category of 'unprovoked'.

Oh, bull :censored: . Never once, in all my life, through all of my travels around the world, did I ever feel inclined to mess with someone's ride, home, or any other personal property, simply because it contained a flag or banner that announced a personal affection or affiliation, with whatever!

By the way, you crossed the line and that was completely uncalled for. Nice that you feel confident, safe, and secure enough to disrespect my nephew from afar. You wanna get personal and insult one of my family members again, next time, why not do so in a PM, and NOT publicly.

Well I think he was calling the act of violence stupid and idiotic, not your nephew. That's what the comma means.

Besides have any of you actually tried to put something into Ford's capless fuel system? You can't just push open the door like on normal cars, you have to have a nozzle or funnel that fits in exactly, not something people are going to randomly carry around.

Oh, bull :censored: . Never once, in all my life, through all of my travels around the world, did I ever feel inclined to mess with someone's ride, home, or any other personal property, simply because it contained a flag or banner that announced a personal affection or affiliation, with whatever!

By the way, you crossed the line and that was completely uncalled for. Nice that you feel confident, safe, and secure enough to disrespect my nephew from afar. You wanna get personal and insult one of my family members again, next time, why not do so in a PM, and NOT publicly.

Lighten up - I said keying someone's car over a football team license plate was stupid and idiotic but nonetheless there was some provocation involved.

All I'm saying is that isn't a random act - it's targeted at a specific individual for a specific reason, however stupid that reason might be.

I just can't imagine someone walking around with a funnel randomly pouring sugar in gas tanks or keying cars for no reason.

Lighten up - I said keying someone's car over a football team license plate was stupid and idiotic but nonetheless there was some provocation involved.

All I'm saying is that isn't a random act - it's targeted at a specific individual for a specific reason, however stupid that reason might be.

I just can't imagine someone walking around with a funnel randomly pouring sugar in gas tanks or keying cars for no reason.

IIRC sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline, so no harm.

IIRC sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline, so no harm.

Bring your ride by and we'll test that theory. :hysterical2:

You're kidding, right?

No, according to Snopes, this is an old myth. About a teaspoonful will dissolve in 15 gallons is reported. Another article says sugar and water are polar compounds and sugar dissolves in water, but gasoline is nonpolar. It isn't enough to hurt the engine is what I meant. It might ruin the filter in the tank. Someone please get some sugar and gasoline and try it and report if Snopes is right .

If you (anyone) uses Ethanol there is more than enough water for the sugar - someone needs to test & report back !

Lighten up - I said keying someone's car over a football team license plate was stupid and idiotic.

oh

just brought my fusion hybrid home today. I live in downtown chicago. My nerves are eased knowing there is some anti-syphoning mechanism inside, butttttt have people ever heard of reports of things being thrown into the tank?

Also, specifically for my city dwellers that park on public streets, have any of you invested in the after market gas-cap? If so, is it easy to use, do you like using it?

Edited by rocky