seneca

Cabin air filter ???

Has it been positively determined the 2010 model Fusions incorporate cabin air filters. No mention of them in the operators manual. I've also searched the "second printing"of the manual---nothing.

Has it been positively determined the 2010 model Fusions incorporate cabin air filters. No mention of them in the operators manual. I've also searched the "second printing"of the manual---nothing.

It has been positively confirmed my 2009 SEL does not have one, and neither does my neighbor's 2010 SEL.

It has been positively confirmed my 2009 SEL does not have one, and neither does my neighbor's 2010 SEL.

That's really strange, because: SEE NEXT POST....

That's really strange, because:

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the glove compartment.

2. Detach and remove the cabin air filter access door.

3. NOTE: The RH flap on the cabin air filter

must be deflected downward to clear the glove

compartment damper when removing and installing the filter.

Remove the cabin air filter.

4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Copyright ã 2009, Ford Motor Company

Last updated: 02/12/2009 2010 Fusion, Milan, MKZ, 8/2009

Originally posted in blueovalforums

9000_2010_Fusion_Filter.jpg

That's really strange, because:

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the glove compartment.

2. Detach and remove the cabin air filter access door.

3. NOTE: The RH flap on the cabin air filter

must be deflected downward to clear the glove

compartment damper when removing and installing the filter.

Remove the cabin air filter.

4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Copyright ã 2009, Ford Motor Company

Last updated: 02/12/2009 2010 Fusion, Milan, MKZ, 8/2009

Originally posted in blueovalforums

9000_2010_Fusion_Filter.jpg

He says his doesn't have one, and that he looked there too. I just asked him. He did say the MKz has one.

He says his doesn't have one, and that he looked there too. I just asked him. He did say the MKz has one.

I find it odd that the 2010 s/se/sel Owners manual doesn't list anything about it whatsoever. But the Hybrid owner's manual does. By the time I actually need to replace it (if it exsists) maybe I will have a better idea if it actually does exist on my SEL.

The center dash section in the pictures above are 2010 layouts.

And here is a listing of some parts that I took from the owners manual

MOTORCRAFT PART NUMBERS

Component 2.5L iVCT engine

* Oil filter FL-2017-B

* Spark plugs 1

* Cabin air filter FP-67

* Low voltage (underhood) battery BXT-67-R

So what gives? Somebody with a FFH take their glovebox out and let us know...

And here is a listing of some parts that I took from the owners manual

MOTORCRAFT PART NUMBERS

Component 2.5L iVCT engine

* Oil filter FL-2017-B

* Spark plugs 1

* Cabin air filter FP-67

* Low voltage (underhood) battery BXT-67-R

So what gives? Somebody with a FFH take their glovebox out and let us know...

Don't you have a hybrid?

I'm thinking that the cabin air filter is included in the hybrid model, but not the others. I don't really feel like taking out my glove box just to find out there isn't anything back there.

Yes, FFH has it---checked. There is also some sort of sensor in front of the cabin air filter door---I didn't go any further. While looking into the owner's manual, I did notice that it states "The air filter is designed to last the life of the vehicle." But it doesn't say whether it is referring to the engine or cabin air filter. I'm assuming it means engine air filter because there is nothing in the maintenance schedule about inspecting, changing, etc. It does refer to changing the cabin air filter, as required. An engine air filter that lasts the life of the vehicle?! Interesting. :do what:

Hey Jim same thing here, how does a filter (either one) last a lifetime ?

When you're running in electric mode, no air is going past the filter. I know, I know...you are in motor mode probably 50% of the time.

My neighbor says he dropped his glovebox (which is as easy as opening the center console) and he doesn't have a cabin filter. Maybe he's an idiot. I know I don;t have one on my 09. Maybe I'll break in his car and take a look next time it's sitting outside.

So is a CAF a hybrid thing, or do the SEL's have them too? Anybody know??

When you're running in electric mode, no air is going past the filter. I know, I know...you are in motor mode probably 50% of the time.

My neighbor says he dropped his glovebox (which is as easy as opening the center console) and he doesn't have a cabin filter. Maybe he's an idiot. I know I don;t have one on my 09. Maybe I'll break in his car and take a look next time it's sitting outside.

So is a CAF a hybrid thing, or do the SEL's have them too? Anybody know??

Several vehicles have lifetime engine air filters (my son's 2005 Focus for one). I don't understand why, either.

Lifetime filter means to me...

"This filter is so hard to get to or so strangely placed, that it isn't worth the excessive amount

of labor charge to change it...we did something weird in the design - therefore it will never

cost you a thing, making it much cheaper to maintain the car over it's lifetime"

Why else would it be stated that way? What's the point of any filter if it doesn't get

dirty at some point? It may take years, but eventually it will become ineffective.

Lifetime filter means to me...

"This filter is so hard to get to or so strangely placed, that it isn't worth the excessive amount

of labor charge to change it...we did something weird in the design - therefore it will never

cost you a thing, making it much cheaper to maintain the car over it's lifetime"

Why else would it be stated that way? What's the point of any filter if it doesn't get

dirty at some point? It may take years, but eventually it will become ineffective.

Actually, air filters become MORE efficient (at blocking dirt) the dirtier they get. The question is whether they get so dirty that they choke off airflow to the engine.

Actually, air filters become MORE efficient (at blocking dirt) the dirtier they get. The question is whether they get so dirty that they choke off airflow to the engine.

You're thinking wrong air filter. This is the cabin filter that filters the air conditioning but you are right that it would cause running problems but I have to wonder with everything being computer ran that the computer would kick out a engine light before it got that far.

You're thinking wrong air filter. This is the cabin filter that filters the air conditioning but you are right that it would cause running problems but I have to wonder with everything being computer ran that the computer would kick out a engine light before it got that far.

Post #10 was talking about a lifetime air filter and that refers to the engine air filter, not the cabin air filter. That's what I was responding to.

I have taken the gloove box out. The cabin filter door is there as shown in the drawing. I was not able to pull out the cabin filter door. I did not want to pry at it.

I did take out the gloove box door. The filter access door is there as shown in the picture. I was not able to open the door.

I have taken the gloove box out. The cabin filter door is there as shown in the drawing. I was not able to pull out the cabin filter door. I did not want to pry at it.

You have to do some prying. To remove the filter cover you'll have to insert a straight head screwdriver in to the slots on the two ends of the cover and lightly pry outward to release the tabs. To install just push inward until it clicks in place.

I can verify that the 2010's have a cabin air filter. I have an SE and although I purchased the car in April I had to change it. My wife was complaining and sneezing everytime she got into the passenger seat so I dropped the glovebox and changed it, The filter was black with an oily substance on it.

Its very easy to change, the door has flaps on each end that you release and you have to juggle and pull the filter out from the left side. Also,the glovebox has a wire pulley that you have to disengage to drop the glove box. Someone with small hands can probably reach in and remove the doors without dropping the glovebox all the way.

Yes the '10s do have the cabin air filter. I bought my '10 SEL in June of '09 and just changed the filter a month ago. Very easy job. The pictures posted a few post above are exactly what my car looked like. You need 1 tool, a medium sized flat head screwdriver to pry out the clamps on each side of the cover. 10 minute job at most.