Could someone please point me in the right direction regarding loading music on the 10GB hard drive that I believe they call the Jukebox? I've looked in the owners manual and I just don't see it. I believe I read that it is NOT in the SYNC manual but the car owners manual. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Could someone please point me in the right direction regarding loading music on the 10GB hard drive that I believe they call the Jukebox? I've looked in the owners manual and I just don't see it. I believe I read that it is NOT in the SYNC manual but the car owners manual. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave. :D This is from the 2010 Fusion Owners Manual:

Your vehicle may be equipped with a

USB port inside your center console.

This feature allows you to plug in

media playing devices, memory

sticks, and also to charge devices if

they support this feature. For

further information on this feature,

refer to Accessing and using your

USB port in the SYNC supplement

or Navigation System supplement.

Since it states that the instructions for the USB Port use are in the SYNC or Navigation System Supplemental Handbooks, I believe there is a good chance that the Jukebox instructions will also be in one of those two handbooks, as opposed to the Owners Manual. Especially since the 10 GB Jukebox is a feature of the NAV system/NAV Audio. I would give a look at those two supplements.

Good luck. :beerchug:

The instructions are in the NAV supplement, not the Owner's Manual. But to summarize:

Insert a CD

Press Record

Wait

Done

The instructions are in the NAV supplement, not the Owner's Manual. But to summarize:

Insert a CD

Press Record

Wait

Done

Thanks to both of you. I figured I was just looking in the wrong section. I think I might even be able to follow the instructions above! :happy feet:

Thanks to both of you. I figured I was just looking in the wrong section. I think I might even be able to follow the instructions above! :happy feet:

The manual also mentions that if you are playing the CD while recording it, it will slow the copy down a little. I guess because the copy is faster than the audio playback, the CD drive will be seeking a lot.

Just switch to another audio source. Radio or whatever, but not CD.

I did not time the difference, but if you have a bunch of CD's, 5 minutes each (or more) will be painful. Unless you do it while you are driving somewhere.

Oh, if you interrupt the recording, it will save the completed tracks and the next time you try to record the same CD, it will not automatically select the already existing tracks.

The manual also mentions that if you are playing the CD while recording it, it will slow the copy down a little. I guess because the copy is faster than the audio playback, the CD drive will be seeking a lot.

That's because it can only copy the song as fast as you're listening to it. If it was copying it without playing it then it can read the CD at a much faster speed. I don't think you can have 2 devices reading from the CD at the same time like a hard drive.

That's because it can only copy the song as fast as you're listening to it. If it was copying it without playing it then it can read the CD at a much faster speed. I don't think you can have 2 devices reading from the CD at the same time like a hard drive.

Not quite true, it will copy and play at the same time. I don't know how exactly, but I usually find that it finishes recording the entire CD at about the same time as it's playing the 4th track.

Not quite true, it will copy and play at the same time. I don't know how exactly, but I usually find that it finishes recording the entire CD at about the same time as it's playing the 4th track.

Interesting - did not know that was possible.

Not quite true, it will copy and play at the same time. I don't know how exactly

It is a two head system. One for playback and one for recording to Jukebox. Ford needs to allow the AUX input to be allowed to copy to Jukebox, as CD only is painfully slow :(

I am not sure why the only way to add music is with a CD. The only thing I can think of is copyright issues? Just seems silly you can play mp3s off a flash drive but can't copy them. Plus you can only add music CDs to the internal drive not MP3 CDs.

I am not sure why the only way to add music is with a CD. The only thing I can think of is copyright issues? Just seems silly you can play mp3s off a flash drive but can't copy them. Plus you can only add music CDs to the internal drive not MP3 CDs.

Because the usb port is connected to the sync module and the hard drive is part of the navigation/cd player. The nav system doesn't have access to the usb port.

The nav system doesn't have access to the usb port.

Not true. Both USB and the Audio Input jack go directly to the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM).

Not true. Both USB and the Audio Input jack go directly to the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM).

I assumed the usb port went directly to the Sync module. But even so, the bottom line is the software to read mp3s from the usb drive is in Sync and not in the Navigation system and I don't believe Sync has access to the Nav hard drive.

I assumed the usb port went directly to the Sync module.

As mentioned above USB goes directly to the APIM. I will look deeper into the Ford service manual to verify how the nav ties into the system.

What really surprised me when copying a bunch of CD's to the HD in my FFH was that for 90+ percent of them they actually acted like a MP3 when done. What I mean by that is that I could see the name of the artist, name of the song, plus it even had a small picture of the album front on the Nav display. What was really shocking was a number of these albums were from the early 80's or maybe even older before they even had MP3's or anyway of displaying the songs, artists and albums. For the couple of CD's that didn't display this Sync allows you to program in the artist, song, and type of music manually.

My understanding it that sync uses an online database of music for the info.

Whatever they use it stinks! I'm always finding CD's that come up as "unknown" when they are actually well known and very popular titles.

My understanding it that sync uses an online database of music for the info.

I kind of doubt that as most of the CD's I loaded were from those oldies but goodies types of CD's that were advertised off TV way back when. Since there is all random different popular songs of a certain 60's year starting in 1962 and going up I find it hard that they would have the CD album cover online with each song since they were not even from a name brand studio just a bunch of number one songs through out the 60's by year. For example I have 3 CD's from 1962, and so on through1969. Now for example I got one cd that is the sound track for Saturday Night Fever, that I could understand but these off brand CD's with famous name artists I don't know.

I kind of doubt that as most of the CD's I loaded were from those oldies but goodies types of CD's that were advertised off TV way back when. Since there is all random different popular songs of a certain 60's year starting in 1962 and going up I find it hard that they would have the CD album cover online with each song since they were not even from a name brand studio just a bunch of number one songs through out the 60's by year. For example I have 3 CD's from 1962, and so on through1969. Now for example I got one cd that is the sound track for Saturday Night Fever, that I could understand but these off brand CD's with famous name artists I don't know.

http://www.gracenote.com

B. How does the Gracenote Recognition service work?

Gracenote is primarily a music recognition service; the search engine on this Web site is just a view into one part of our database.

As a recognition service, we work with software and hardware developers from all over the world, and when they license and develop with the right code, we enable their applications to access our database and recognition services. On most commercial music compact discs, there is no disc title, artist, track title, credits, or other information that a player running on your computer can extract and display for you.

Because this information is generally not on the CD itself, without such a database these applications could only display text such as "Untitled" or "Track 1, Track 2." However, a licensed application can lookup the CD in the database and return the title and track information to the application for display by the time you hear the first notes of the album.

http://www.gracenote.com

B. How does the Gracenote Recognition service work?

Gracenote is primarily a music recognition service; the search engine on this Web site is just a view into one part of our database.

As a recognition service, we work with software and hardware developers from all over the world, and when they license and develop with the right code, we enable their applications to access our database and recognition services. On most commercial music compact discs, there is no disc title, artist, track title, credits, or other information that a player running on your computer can extract and display for you.

Because this information is generally not on the CD itself, without such a database these applications could only display text such as "Untitled" or "Track 1, Track 2." However, a licensed application can lookup the CD in the database and return the title and track information to the application for display by the time you hear the first notes of the album.

So how does it look up this information? I don't have a cell hooked up and I was in a closed garage with the door closes so no Sirius nor Nav. signal. I find it hard to believe that all that info is stored onboard my car.

So how does it look up this information? I don't have a cell hooked up and I was in a closed garage with the door closes so no Sirius nor Nav. signal. I find it hard to believe that all that info is stored onboard my car.

You may not believe it, but it's true. That's why you can only use 10GB of the 40GB hard disc. The other 30GBs is holding album art of every commercial CD ever produced and the location of every McDonalds in North America.

You may not believe it, but it's true. That's why you can only use 10GB of the 40GB hard disc. The other 30GBs is holding album art of every commercial CD ever produced and the location of every McDonalds in North America.

So how do you update it for newly released CD's? What was Ford thinking? :doh:

So how do you update it for newly released CD's? What was Ford thinking? :doh:

Same way you update the maps for newly built McDonald's.