lrymal

Bugs---I hate bugs!

I have vowed for decades to not tolerate bugs on my latest new vehicle. I say that every time I purchase a vehicle. They etch the paint. The little critters bodies are full of acid. Now (summer 2009) is the time for big bugs, little bugs, love bugs. The squished innards dry fast on the car body, cooking in the heat coming from the road. This year is different--they will not etch the paint of my new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. This is war.

I have used Bug and Tar Remover, Turtle Wax stuff, McQuire stuff, Ford bug remover stuff, GM bug remover stuff. Motorcyclists will drape a wet towel over the bug-encrusted windshield. The water hydrates the bug carcasses and are easy to come off. I have even tried that with an old bed spread on the car, but no real luck. I have even tried these solutions:

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990614c.cfm

So, this is the year I am going to conquer the bugs.

In the past--I have tried prevention--I have tried soaking the front end with WD-40 before long road trips. Helps, but messy, and the bugs still get through, sticking determinedly to the paint.

Tried Rain-X. Some New Yorkers claim that will help. Apparently they don't know Texas bugs.

Tried Pam, the cook spray. Sounded like a good idea, but didn't work.

So, I think I have a two-part solution. I keep the front end well-waxed--that's part one. That does help. But, to really remove the bugs, I have found an easier way than my previous attempts. Part two: Using Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner for Cars, and literally soaking it an auto detailer's rag (micro fibre), I can remove the bugs. I liberally spray the cleaner as I'm cleaning on the buggy area.

So, if you have summer bug problems, and previous methods have never worked, give this a try.

Great post, I'd add get the bugs off ASAP and don't use a high pressure wand at a self serv car wash ...

Great post, I'd add get the bugs off ASAP and don't use a high pressure wand at a self serv car wash ...

My question will show my ignorance.... but...... what is wrong with the high pressure wand? (I guess I always figured high pressure soap.water couldn't hurt like a brush)

Turtle Wax "Ice" works great to protect the finish. Bugs just don't stick anymore!

Was waxing my car the other night and after 3 hours between cleaning, claying, waxing (1 coat) I was spent.... However, I really wanted more protection for the car because of the harsh TX sun +horrible bugs down here on the roads. So, it got me thinking and this is where my question comes in...

Is it a good idea to give your hood/front bumper an extra couple coats even if you only have time to give the WHOLE car only 1?

Dude just buy a bugdeflector

Dude... deflector on the hood? What about the grill, headlights, fog lights?

Zaino Z2 works on everything, bugs come right off. The Zaino Fusion (yes, that's what it is called) swirl remover works wonders for getting the marks left behind in the clear coat from bugs and tree sap, without damaging the paint. When I was working on te car yesterday, there was something on the right front fender that left a noticeable blemish in the paint, and a few swipes with the Fusion, the blemish was gone, with no rub marks.