Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Bugs---I hate bugs!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lrymal

lrymal

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

I have vowed for decades to not tolerate bugs on my latest new vehicle. I say that every time I purchase a vehicle. They etch the paint. The little critters bodies are full of acid. Now (summer 2009) is the time for big bugs, little bugs, love bugs. The squished innards dry fast on the car body, cooking in the heat coming from the road. This year is different--they will not etch the paint of my new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. This is war.

I have used Bug and Tar Remover, Turtle Wax stuff, McQuire stuff, Ford bug remover stuff, GM bug remover stuff. Motorcyclists will drape a wet towel over the bug-encrusted windshield. The water hydrates the bug carcasses and are easy to come off. I have even tried that with an old bed spread on the car, but no real luck. I have even tried these solutions:

http://www.stretcher...ies/990614c.cfm

So, this is the year I am going to conquer the bugs.

In the past--I have tried prevention--I have tried soaking the front end with WD-40 before long road trips. Helps, but messy, and the bugs still get through, sticking determinedly to the paint.

Tried Rain-X. Some New Yorkers claim that will help. Apparently they don't know Texas bugs.

Tried Pam, the cook spray. Sounded like a good idea, but didn't work.

So, I think I have a two-part solution. I keep the front end well-waxed--that's part one. That does help. But, to really remove the bugs, I have found an easier way than my previous attempts. Part two: Using Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner for Cars, and literally soaking it an auto detailer's rag (micro fibre), I can remove the bugs. I liberally spray the cleaner as I'm cleaning on the buggy area.

So, if you have summer bug problems, and previous methods have never worked, give this a try.
Silver Ford Fusion HYBRID

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rfruth

rfruth

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 601 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion hybrid

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

Great post, I'd add get the bugs off ASAP and don't use a high pressure wand at a self serv car wash ...

current = 2014 Focus Titanium hatch

#3 OFFLINE   bbf2530

bbf2530

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hi guys. :D Another good product for removing bug splat, bird droppings, etc, etc, is "Meguiar's Quick Detailer Spray".

I keep a bottle of it and a 100% cotton or microfiber towel in my trunk. Then I can clean them off at any time or place.

Good luck. :beerchug:
  • hybridbear likes this
2007 Lincoln MKZ - 3.5 liter V-6/6 Speed ATX - Alloy Clearcoat Metallic/Light Stone Leather with Dark Ebony Wood

#4 OFFLINE   wstcoaster07

wstcoaster07

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

Great post, I'd add get the bugs off ASAP and don't use a high pressure wand at a self serv car wash ...

My question will show my ignorance.... but...... what is wrong with the high pressure wand? (I guess I always figured high pressure soap.water couldn't hurt like a brush)
-2010 FFH Tuxedo Black, Med Light Stone, 502A package, 30% Madico Wincos tint (F/B/R)
-2001 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

"Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam"

#5 OFFLINE   bbf2530

bbf2530

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

My question will show my ignorance.... but...... what is wrong with the high pressure wand? (I guess I always figured high pressure soap.water couldn't hurt like a brush)

Hi wstcoaster. :D Not an ignorant question at all.

Short story: Set to a high enough pressure, or held too close/close enough to the paint finish and/or trim, and a high pressure wand can damage the paint and trim pieces.

2007 Lincoln MKZ - 3.5 liter V-6/6 Speed ATX - Alloy Clearcoat Metallic/Light Stone Leather with Dark Ebony Wood

#6 OFFLINE   2010SEL

2010SEL

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:27 AM

Turtle Wax "Ice" works great to protect the finish. Bugs just don't stick anymore!
  • mokee likes this

#7 OFFLINE   wstcoaster07

wstcoaster07

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

Turtle Wax "Ice" works great to protect the finish. Bugs just don't stick anymore!

Was waxing my car the other night and after 3 hours between cleaning, claying, waxing (1 coat) I was spent.... However, I really wanted more protection for the car because of the harsh TX sun +horrible bugs down here on the roads. So, it got me thinking and this is where my question comes in...

Is it a good idea to give your hood/front bumper an extra couple coats even if you only have time to give the WHOLE car only 1?
-2010 FFH Tuxedo Black, Med Light Stone, 502A package, 30% Madico Wincos tint (F/B/R)
-2001 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

"Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam"

#8 OFFLINE   bbf2530

bbf2530

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

Was waxing my car the other night and after 3 hours between cleaning, claying, waxing (1 coat) I was spent.... However, I really wanted more protection for the car because of the harsh TX sun +horrible bugs down here on the roads. So, it got me thinking and this is where my question comes in...

Is it a good idea to give your hood/front bumper an extra couple coats even if you only have time to give the WHOLE car only 1?

Hi wstcoaster. :D A second coat certainly won't hurt. In general, if you are going to throw an extra coat anywhere it would be the front end and horizontal surfaces (hood, roof and top of trunk) of your car. They see more environmental contamination, rain and sun exposure than the vertical sections (sides) of the car.

However, more than two applications/coats is really a waste of time. After the second coat, the "Law of Diminishing Returns" certainly applies.

#9 OFFLINE   metallicred09

metallicred09

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

I have vowed for decades to not tolerate bugs on my latest new vehicle. I say that every time I purchase a vehicle. They etch the paint. The little critters bodies are full of acid. Now (summer 2009) is the time for big bugs, little bugs, love bugs. The squished innards dry fast on the car body, cooking in the heat coming from the road. This year is different--they will not etch the paint of my new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. This is war.

I have used Bug and Tar Remover, Turtle Wax stuff, McQuire stuff, Ford bug remover stuff, GM bug remover stuff. Motorcyclists will drape a wet towel over the bug-encrusted windshield. The water hydrates the bug carcasses and are easy to come off. I have even tried that with an old bed spread on the car, but no real luck. I have even tried these solutions:

http://www.stretcher...ies/990614c.cfm

So, this is the year I am going to conquer the bugs.

In the past--I have tried prevention--I have tried soaking the front end with WD-40 before long road trips. Helps, but messy, and the bugs still get through, sticking determinedly to the paint.

Tried Rain-X. Some New Yorkers claim that will help. Apparently they don't know Texas bugs.

Tried Pam, the cook spray. Sounded like a good idea, but didn't work.

So, I think I have a two-part solution. I keep the front end well-waxed--that's part one. That does help. But, to really remove the bugs, I have found an easier way than my previous attempts. Part two: Using Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner for Cars, and literally soaking it an auto detailer's rag (micro fibre), I can remove the bugs. I liberally spray the cleaner as I'm cleaning on the buggy area.

So, if you have summer bug problems, and previous methods have never worked, give this a try.

Dude just buy a bugdeflector
2009 SE 2.3 L4
Redfire
Rear spoiler

#10 OFFLINE   lrymal

lrymal

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:28 AM

Dude just buy a bugdeflector

Dude... deflector on the hood? What about the grill, headlights, fog lights?
Silver Ford Fusion HYBRID

#11 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

Zaino Z2 works on everything, bugs come right off. The Zaino Fusion (yes, that's what it is called) swirl remover works wonders for getting the marks left behind in the clear coat from bugs and tree sap, without damaging the paint. When I was working on te car yesterday, there was something on the right front fender that left a noticeable blemish in the paint, and a few swipes with the Fusion, the blemish was gone, with no rub marks.
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#12 OFFLINE   mmorri12

mmorri12

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

the best bug scrubber I have found to date is this one below. it's like a magic eraser for bugs. It does not do anything for bugs that have already etched the paint on my old car but I found it to safely and quickly remove any bugs I have picked up since my last washing. so far on my new FFH, I've put on 3500 miles and have no bug etching to the front at all.

my cleaning process so far has been using a low PSI electric pressure washer (from lowes) attached to a foam cannon and foam wash products from chemical guys with the bug scrubber used as needed. there has been one coat of polish and wax applied since purchasing the car.

http://www.autogeek....insafscrub.html

#13 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

the best bug scrubber I have found to date is this one below.

http://www.autogeek....insafscrub.html

I'll have to get one of those scrubbers, thanks for the link.

I had my car detailed and 'sealed' before I picked it up and 'most' bugs come off easily with a simple car shampoo wash and a microfiber rag.

On the road I carry Ice or Mequiar's Detailer spray and several microfiber towels and clean the car daily if I can, easier than letting them build up.

I think AZ has a few of those Texas bugs and I just got back from a PHX round trip, desert bugs are nasty. 

At one gas stop there were sparrows flying from car to car pecking off the bugs that were still soft - smart birds.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·