Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

wax on, wax off

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

I gave my Sport a quick once over with Z6 on Saturday, took me 20 minutes. Car shines like the day I first cleaned it. Zaino recommends Dawn, and it really is good shtuff. I few drops in a spray bottle is all I use, and I first wash teh car with regular car wash soap, and clay the car with the Dawn solution, then wash the car again, and polish it after that. This method guarantees the wax is gone and the paint is clean enough to accept the polish.
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   FtLewis2002

FtLewis2002

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

It's known that dish soap strips wax, therefore the only appropriate use of it as a car wash is prior to re-applying the wax or other protectorant. If you use it as a regular car wash it will leave the paint unprotected.

Any time you wash your car, you remove wax, no matter what soap you are using, and even if you don't use soap. That clear coat is what protects the paint. When we're waxing our cars, we're only waxing the clear coat. I haven't seen a "paint" that gets waxed in many years.

#43 OFFLINE   bbf2530

bbf2530

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

Any time you wash your car, you remove wax, no matter what soap you are using, and even if you don't use soap. That clear coat is what protects the paint. When we're waxing our cars, we're only waxing the clear coat. I haven't seen a "paint" that gets waxed in many years.

Hi FtLewis. :D While what you are saying is not completely wrong, it will be confusing for others. So, just to clarify: "The clearcoat" on our cars is paint. It is clearcoat paint. "Clearcoat" paint is simply a paint with no color pigment.

And that clearcoat paint must be protected, just like the non-clearcoat paints on older cars. Now, whether that protection is a traditional wax or the newer polymer "waxes" is up to individual preference. But either way, we are still "waxing paint", it is just clearcoat paint being waxed.

As far as wax being removed when we wash, you are partially correct. That goes without saying, as wax is not as hard as paint. Even a rain storm removes minute layers of wax. However, car wash shampoos are specifically formulated for cars paint finishes. Therefore, they are less harsh and remove very little wax protection each time we wash, thus still leaving the paint finish protected.. On the other hand, dish-washing soaps will remove all wax protection in one washing, leaving our cars paint finish (yes, clearcoat paint) completely unprotected.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530, 09 April 2010 - 12:23 PM.

2007 Lincoln MKZ - 3.5 liter V-6/6 Speed ATX - Alloy Clearcoat Metallic/Light Stone Leather with Dark Ebony Wood

#44 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

bbf2530 is absolutely correct - clear coat IS paint, it just doesn't have any pigment. Dishwashing soap will remove ALL of the wax at one time, that's why it's recommended prior to applying a new wax or other type of protectant. Car wash soaps are very mild and remove very little (if any) wax - that's why they're highly recommended. You can use car wash soap once every week or two for several months (or longer) without having to reapply wax or protectant. One time with Dawn and it's gone.
Allen - Atlanta, GA
2006 Fusion SEL V6 fully loaded
Tungsten/Med. Light Stone

#45 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

I gave my Sport a quick once over with Z6 on Saturday, took me 20 minutes. Car shines like the day I first cleaned it. Zaino recommends Dawn, and it really is good shtuff. I few drops in a spray bottle is all I use, and I first wash teh car with regular car wash soap, and clay the car with the Dawn solution, then wash the car again, and polish it after that. This method guarantees the wax is gone and the paint is clean enough to accept the polish.

I'm a "Zainiac" too but I'm a little puzzled as to why you feel the need to restrip. Dawn is only supposed to be used before the initial application of Zaino. As Sal Zaino states on the website :

Leave Dawn in the kitchen since you'll never use it again on your car.

There's no need to strip Zaino. In fact, the beauty of Zaino is that the more layers you put on, the better it is. Besides, Dawn does nothing to remove Zaino anyway. The only thing that removes Zaino is isopropyl alcohol.

If you feel that your paint is that contaminated that you need to clay, then you would use Z-AIO. This serves two purposes. It cleans the paint and lays down a base coat for Z-2, etc. This eliminates the need for the old Z-1 as well. You can even stop after the application of Z-AIO and leave it as a last-step product (LSP), but I never leave it at that :D It's addicting. I top that with Z-5, Z-2, Z-CS and Z-8.

BTW, if you haven't tried Z-CS, you must. Amazing. Spray, wipe and walk away. Lasts me 6-8 months, but my car is garaged.

Happy "Zainoing." And no, I don't work for Zaino. Just a satisfied customer for many years. Whenever my kids ask me what I want for Father's day or B'days, I just tell them to get me Zaino gift certificates. Easy for them, great for me.

Edited by drolds1, 09 April 2010 - 12:48 PM.

Art
Long Island, NY
2010 MKZ Sport AWD

#46 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

I'm a "Zainiac" too but I'm a little puzzled as to why you feel the need to restrip. Dawn is only supposed to be used before the initial application of Zaino. As Sal Zaino states on the website : There's no need to strip Zaino. In fact, the beauty of Zaino is that the more layers you put on, the better it is. Besides, Dawn does nothing to remove Zaino anyway. The only thing that removes Zaino is isopropyl alcohol.

If you feel that your paint is that contaminated that you need to clay, then you would use Z-AIO. This serves two purposes. It cleans the paint and lays down a base coat for Z-2, etc. This eliminates the need for the old Z-1 as well. You can even stop after the application of Z-AIO and leave it as a last-step product (LSP), but I never leave it at that :D It's addicting. I top that with Z-5, Z-2, Z-CS and Z-8.

BTW, if you haven't tried Z-CS, you must. Amazing. Spray, wipe and walk away. Lasts me 6-8 months, but my car is garaged.

Happy "Zainoing." And no, I don't work for Zaino. Just a satisfied customer for many years. Whenever my kids ask me what I want for Father's day or B'days, I just tell them to get me Zaino gift certificates. Easy for them, great for me.

I don't, only before I apply the first coat of Zaino to any car, after that, anytime I clay the car is with Mothers detail spray, then apply additional Zaino as needed. Once I have the first coat of the Z on, Dawn doesn't touch the car unless there is something on it that will not come off.

BTW, soon I will post some pics I took of the Grand Marquis that I recently painted. The paint is still soft, so a complete polish with Zaino is going slow. I first need to remove the swirls from when they buffed the paint out. I started on the hood yesterday and got a few shots that show the swirls, but by the time I got the first coat of Z5 removed and Z6 applied, the sun had moved to shadow, and clouds came in, so the light wasn't right. What I did get shows a vast difference, from 10 minutes work. I spent 10 minutes of clay, wipe, apply Z5, wipe, apply Z6, and wipe, but had to wait 30 minutes after the Z5 for it to cure.

Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   modular

modular

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

For years I have used Collonite Insulator Wax #845. One coat.....wait 24 hours.......second coat. I do this twice a year it lasts that long. Super easy on and off and not much needed.

Linky: http://www.collinite...s.htm#liquid845

#48 OFFLINE   neevers1

neevers1

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 39 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm using Collonite 915 and it's really good, I was using autoglym HD wax, and it's good, but I like the collonite better, and it's cheaper, so there's that.

#49 OFFLINE   coach81

coach81

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 609 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'13 FFH Silver Ingot / Black Leather Tech, Nav, Moon, Rev Sens, Lane Keep Asst. I love it!!!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Haven't seen any references to "turtle wax" or "armor all" yet :tease:

'13 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ordered 10-26-12 Picked up 1-10-13
Luxury, Moon, Navi, Driver Assist, Rev Sense
Ingot Silver, Black Leather

Current Favorite Feature- Lane keep assist
First full tank MPG- over 53!!!

#50 OFFLINE   coach81

coach81

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 609 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'13 FFH Silver Ingot / Black Leather Tech, Nav, Moon, Rev Sens, Lane Keep Asst. I love it!!!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Bought some "name brand" products and treated the leather and dash today....(Meguiar's or something like that?)

'13 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ordered 10-26-12 Picked up 1-10-13
Luxury, Moon, Navi, Driver Assist, Rev Sense
Ingot Silver, Black Leather

Current Favorite Feature- Lane keep assist
First full tank MPG- over 53!!!

#51 OFFLINE   HenryVIII

HenryVIII

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 164 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0T AWD- All options
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

I no longer use waxes. Instead I use sealants.

Sealants provides a MUCH LONGER lasting gloss over waxes. I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant from Autogeek.net: http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html and http://www.autogeek....tz-sealant.html for when I'm lazy. It lasts months! Especially when I use the buffer w/pour bottle on my first major strip and detail and then use the spray bottle for maintenance after a few weeks.

Just using 1 coat of sealant it will keep your car looking like new for about a month without washing (winter roads [salty roads] being the exception).

I recommend Autogeek as their service and shipping are top notch. Even if you don't use Wolfgang, they offer other alternatives at different price margins. Highly recommended!

Edited by HenryVIII, 22 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

202851.png

#52 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Zaino does the same thing, seals, protects, and leaves a very slick glossy surface. I havent used wax in over a decade! :)  Best part is it lasts for well over a year with one 2 coat application that can be done in one day. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·