vanhalenfanrob

wax on, wax off

I could never wash my car with dish soap

Then don't. Buy the expensive car wash stuff that's identical to Palmolive, but costs more. When you wash it before claying it, you want to get all of the crap off of the clearcoat to keep the clay cleaner. Regular dish soap works the best, or, as I said, you can buy the expensive pre-clay concentrate car wash soap. The same soap that smells identical to the green palmolive, and does the dishes, too.

Edited by FtLewis2002

I don't use wax. It builds up and you eventually have to strip it down or the paint dulls. I only use Zaino once a year, with a simple wipe down of Z6 every so often to keep the paint clean. It also doesn't turn black plastic white if you get it on it by mistake. I haven't tried the new item out, just the Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z8, and I get a perfect shine that no wax can beat. No rubbing, no buffing, just wipe it on, and wipe it off, and with each layer, you get a deeper gloss, and it really makes the metallic sparkle. It also helps protect against fine scratches, which on a dark or black car, really show up under bright light. I haven't done anything to my car since I put 4 coats on in September, and I can take it to the car wash right now and the water still beads up and the paint is slick and shiny.

Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Acdii, which Zaino product did you start with? I probably need to read more through the links that metallicred09 provided.

When I look at the Zaino products it's confusing (no pun intended). My car is really new so at this point I think I just need something to protect the finish.

So would that just be the Z-CS Clear Seal product? Several Zaino products are "polishes" and that makes me think fine abrasives are involved.

Thanks again...

What they refer to as a polish is the fact it puts such a shine on the paint that it looks like it was polished, but they don't use abrasives.

There is only one Zaino product that contains abrasives, and you normally would not need it, it is used to get out very noticeable swirl marks. That is the Z-PC, and I doubt you would ever need it. I recommend for those serious about getting the best possible finish and have the time to do it, get the starter kit. For $85 it includes everything you need to fully prep and apply the Zaino finish used on Show cars. It includes the clay bars, applicator pads, Z2 and accelerator kit, car wash, and the Z6 final Finish spray for upkeep. For those who just want a quick way to detail the car, and have a good finish with little upkeep, get the Z-Trip kit for $73, it has the all in one polish, Clear shield and Grand Finale spray. I can't comment on the AIO or CS as I never used it personally, but the Z8 really does put a glow on the car, and is a pretty good final step.

Disclaimer, I do not , nor have I ever worked for Zaino, I am just a firm believer in their product and the ease of use. This is what I am trying to get across to everyone, It is simply the EASIEST product you will ever use on a car, and puts a shine on it that competes with the best waxes that take hours of buffing with a machine to accomplish. It is well worth the money, and a little goes a very long way. I am just now on my second bottle of Z2 that I bought in 2001, and I have done 5 cars with at least 4 coats each, some had 6 to 8 coats.

Just remember this, perfect prep makes for a perfect polish. Clean the paint first, use a little bit of Dawn detergent when you first clay bar the car before you do anything, this removes all wax and grease and leaves the surface super slick. Then apply the Z2, or AIO, if you apply either one over a previously waxed surface without first removing the old wax, you will see the wax, and will not be able to get it out without having to wash the car down again with a strong dawn solution, Dawn is about the only thing that will remove Zaino from the paint other than chemicals like Thinner, or reducer. It also does NOT contain any silicone. Silicone is bad for your paint, if you ever needed to have body work done, Silicone can be a nightmare with fisheyes and very poor paint spread.

if you're going to clay it, use dish soap (Palmolive works best) to strip off any grease, fingerprints, and old wax (not ALL of the wax) before claying the car. Will save you a lot of time. I used to OWN a tinting and detail shop. Or, again, go spend the money on a pre-clay wash product of your choice, which will be Palmolive in another bottle.

Here's a link since I'm too lazy to type what boils down to common sense at the moment. this guy uses Ivory, and I use Palmolive before a new wax, or clay.

http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk7.html

if you're going to clay it, use dish soap (Palmolive works best) to strip off any grease, fingerprints, and old wax (not ALL of the wax) before claying the car. Will save you a lot of time. I used to OWN a tinting and detail shop. Or, again, go spend the money on a pre-clay wash product of your choice, which will be Palmolive in another bottle.

Here's a link since I'm too lazy to type what boils down to common sense at the moment. this guy uses Ivory, and I use Palmolive before a new wax, or clay.

http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk7.html

Great link, thanks. I read the entire archive, lots of great info there. I am still hesitant to use dish soap every time, but will use it before I clay and apply my spring wax in a couple of weeks. I just happen to have Palmolive under the kitchen sink.

Dish soap is only used when you want to strip off the old wax and finish before applying new wax or finish. You do not use it in between waxings.

I worded that response wrong. I agree, I'd never use dish soap for weekly washing, only once in the spring before claying.

Edited by 2010 Sport Blue SEL

Great link, thanks. I read the entire archive, lots of great info there. I am still hesitant to use dish soap every time, but will use it before I clay and apply my spring wax in a couple of weeks. I just happen to have Palmolive under the kitchen sink.

Personally, I wouldn't use dish soap every time either, and never have. However, the people who are saying they'd never use it, have never USED it before. It's like my wife whenever I cook up some tasty deer meat. She's like "ewwwww"... she's never tried it, but she's convinced it tastes wrong.

I gave my Sport a quick once over with Z6 on Saturday, took me 20 minutes. Car shines like the day I first cleaned it. Zaino recommends Dawn, and it really is good shtuff. I few drops in a spray bottle is all I use, and I first wash teh car with regular car wash soap, and clay the car with the Dawn solution, then wash the car again, and polish it after that. This method guarantees the wax is gone and the paint is clean enough to accept the polish.

It's known that dish soap strips wax, therefore the only appropriate use of it as a car wash is prior to re-applying the wax or other protectorant. If you use it as a regular car wash it will leave the paint unprotected.

Any time you wash your car, you remove wax, no matter what soap you are using, and even if you don't use soap. That clear coat is what protects the paint. When we're waxing our cars, we're only waxing the clear coat. I haven't seen a "paint" that gets waxed in many years.

I gave my Sport a quick once over with Z6 on Saturday, took me 20 minutes. Car shines like the day I first cleaned it. Zaino recommends Dawn, and it really is good shtuff. I few drops in a spray bottle is all I use, and I first wash teh car with regular car wash soap, and clay the car with the Dawn solution, then wash the car again, and polish it after that. This method guarantees the wax is gone and the paint is clean enough to accept the polish.

I'm a "Zainiac" too but I'm a little puzzled as to why you feel the need to restrip. Dawn is only supposed to be used before the initial application of Zaino. As Sal Zaino states on the website :

Leave Dawn in the kitchen since you'll never use it again on your car.
There's no need to strip Zaino. In fact, the beauty of Zaino is that the more layers you put on, the better it is. Besides, Dawn does nothing to remove Zaino anyway. The only thing that removes Zaino is isopropyl alcohol.

If you feel that your paint is that contaminated that you need to clay, then you would use Z-AIO. This serves two purposes. It cleans the paint and lays down a base coat for Z-2, etc. This eliminates the need for the old Z-1 as well. You can even stop after the application of Z-AIO and leave it as a last-step product (LSP), but I never leave it at that :D It's addicting. I top that with Z-5, Z-2, Z-CS and Z-8.

BTW, if you haven't tried Z-CS, you must. Amazing. Spray, wipe and walk away. Lasts me 6-8 months, but my car is garaged.

Happy "Zainoing." And no, I don't work for Zaino. Just a satisfied customer for many years. Whenever my kids ask me what I want for Father's day or B'days, I just tell them to get me Zaino gift certificates. Easy for them, great for me.

Edited by drolds1

I'm a "Zainiac" too but I'm a little puzzled as to why you feel the need to restrip. Dawn is only supposed to be used before the initial application of Zaino. As Sal Zaino states on the website : There's no need to strip Zaino. In fact, the beauty of Zaino is that the more layers you put on, the better it is. Besides, Dawn does nothing to remove Zaino anyway. The only thing that removes Zaino is isopropyl alcohol.

If you feel that your paint is that contaminated that you need to clay, then you would use Z-AIO. This serves two purposes. It cleans the paint and lays down a base coat for Z-2, etc. This eliminates the need for the old Z-1 as well. You can even stop after the application of Z-AIO and leave it as a last-step product (LSP), but I never leave it at that :D It's addicting. I top that with Z-5, Z-2, Z-CS and Z-8.

BTW, if you haven't tried Z-CS, you must. Amazing. Spray, wipe and walk away. Lasts me 6-8 months, but my car is garaged.

Happy "Zainoing." And no, I don't work for Zaino. Just a satisfied customer for many years. Whenever my kids ask me what I want for Father's day or B'days, I just tell them to get me Zaino gift certificates. Easy for them, great for me.

I don't, only before I apply the first coat of Zaino to any car, after that, anytime I clay the car is with Mothers detail spray, then apply additional Zaino as needed. Once I have the first coat of the Z on, Dawn doesn't touch the car unless there is something on it that will not come off.

BTW, soon I will post some pics I took of the Grand Marquis that I recently painted. The paint is still soft, so a complete polish with Zaino is going slow. I first need to remove the swirls from when they buffed the paint out. I started on the hood yesterday and got a few shots that show the swirls, but by the time I got the first coat of Z5 removed and Z6 applied, the sun had moved to shadow, and clouds came in, so the light wasn't right. What I did get shows a vast difference, from 10 minutes work. I spent 10 minutes of clay, wipe, apply Z5, wipe, apply Z6, and wipe, but had to wait 30 minutes after the Z5 for it to cure.