Quincy

2010 Fusion Hybrid at the LA Auto Show!

Check it out! http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/19/la-2008...ke-their-debut/

I'm particularly excited about the 2010 Fusion Hybrid. This is a very promising car.

I've always been a big fan of the Power Split Device drivetrain developed by Ford and Toyota for use in their hybrids. The PSD system just makes so much sense-- A very simple planetary gearset that combines power from the gasoline engine and two electric motors, no gear-shifting wear-and-tear, no clutch, no hot-running torque converter, no CVT belts.

The PSD also allows the car to run on electric alone at low speeds, regenerates electricity for later use when you brake (which also saves brake pad wear tremendously), and because the PSD is such a simple device it is darn near indestructible (i.e. very low-maintenance).

(for those techy gearheads, here's how the PSD transmission works: http://www.eahart.com/prius/psd )

And now we got word that the Fusion Hybrid will out-Camry the Camry Hybrid in fuel efficiency and power because of its more efficient battery pack and bigger traction motor. WOW.

For the past 10 years Toyota has seen success with its PSD-powered Hybrid Synergy Drive (particularly in the Prius). I think it's about time Ford gets a chance to showcase its PSD car and grab its share of the limelight!

And the Fusion Hybrid will qualify for at least a $2300 Federal Tax Credit refund for hybrid vehicles. Yes, Uncle Sam will actually help pay for it when you buy the car!

Where do I sign up to buy one! :wub:

And the Fusion Hybrid will qualify for at least a $2300 Federal Tax Credit refund for hybrid vehicles.

Where did you see this? I'll be getting a 2010 Milan Hybrid as soon as they are available so any info that you can provide would be appreciated :)

Hey Milan,

The Federal Tax Credit depends on the total number of hybrid vehicles a particular carmaker has sold to private buyers. Once a particular carmaker sold 60,000 total hybrid cars of all models in their lineup, the tax credit is phased out.

Toyota reached their 60,000-cars-sold limit back in 2006, which is why now no Toyota or Lexus hybrids can receive a tax credit.

Honda reached their 60,000 limit this December. After December 1, no Honda hybrids are eligible for federal tax credits anymore.

Ford hasn't reached the 60,000 limit yet. It is projected that the IRS will start phasing out the tax credit for Ford hybrids in December 2009 when they approach the 60,000-cars-sold limit.

The typical Federal Tax Credit for a hybrid car with a 2.5L engine is between $2,000 to $3,000. The Nissan Altima Hybrid qualifies for $2,300 (Nissan is also nowhere near their 60,000-car-sold limit). Considering the similarities between the Altima Hybrid and the Ford Fusion Hybrid, that's most likely what the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Mercury Milan Hybrid will receive when it goes on sale in 2009 before the Phase-Out in December 2009.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Yes this helps a lot! So how does the refund work? Do you get it applied to the cost of the car when you buy it, or do you get it afterward (like a rebate)?

Hi Milan,

Here's the Internal Revenue Service webpage on Federal Tax Credit for hybrid vehicles: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html

They started a page for model-year 2009 vehicles that qualify for the tax credit (the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrids are already on there), and the IRS should be updating the 2009 page as the new model-year hybrids reach the market.

You claim the tax credit by filing a Form 8910 with your 1040 Tax Return come April 15, 2010 (when the tax return for Fiscal Year 2009 is due). The tax credit amount will be applied to your tax return total, so if you have a balance in your favor on the 1040, you will get it in the tax refund check from Uncle Sam. :)

Hope this helps!