jpmire11

need help conviencing wife!!!

So about a year ago my wife and I bought the v6 fusion. It is a great car and really has some get up and go compared to the 99 corolla we traded in for the fusion. So now that gas prices are going up and the car being her only mode of transportation, I am trying to do some things that will improve MPG. So I know that an intake can help, BUT WHAT ABOUT A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM? I heard a fusion with the flowmaster mufflers and it sounded good. Will changing the mufflers help with MPG? If so should I change just the mufflers are the entire system. KEEP IN MIND I HAVE A 7 WEEK OLD BABY. So I can't spend to much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So about a year ago my wife and I bought the v6 fusion. It is a great car and really has some get up and go compared to the 99 corolla we traded in for the fusion. So now that gas prices are going up and the car being her only mode of transportation, I am trying to do some things that will improve MPG. So I know that an intake can help, BUT WHAT ABOUT A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM? I heard a fusion with the flowmaster mufflers and it sounded good. Will changing the mufflers help with MPG? If so should I change just the mufflers are the entire system. KEEP IN MIND I HAVE A 7 WEEK OLD BABY. So I can't spend to much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi jpmire11. :D Adding an exhaust, even a cat back exhaust, will do absolutely nothing to improve your gas mileage.

The short explanation goes like this: The choke point in a modern cars exhaust system is the catalytic converters. Anything you do after the catalytic converters does nothing to open up that choke point, so is a waste of money, both MPG and performance wise. If you want to do it for the "better sound", then go ahead. Just do not do it for any MPG or performance gain, as it will not happen. Also, the Fusion already has a very high quality exhaust system, so you would be wasting that much more money.

I know some will disagree with this opinion. However, the fact that the catalytic converters are the choke point in a modern exhaust system is not debatable, and if you do not open the choke point, you can not see any benefits.

I realize this is not what you wanted to hear, but better to know the truth than waste your money.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Cool. I appreciate the info. I just added a flowmaster exhaust on my Silverado and love it. Sounds really good. So if you would have to choose, would you go with a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow? I may try to talk my wife into it anyway. Just for the hell of it. I figure if we just replace the mufflers, it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Does anyone have sound clips of the two or know where I can find some?

Any improvement in mileage needs to be looked at in terms of the cost of the improvement. a 2mpg increase that costs 500.00 will take a long time to make up. Better to check your tire pressure and coast to stop lights when safe. Take the highway or avoid traffice tie ups. look at you mileage and the avergae MPH you will be amazed how slow you average speed is. My wife drives around town a bit and gets about 20-25 MPH whehc she started taking the highway more her average speed went up and mileage increaed 2 MPG she is now getting 22 with AWD

Go to www.youtube.com and type in 'ford fusion exhaust' and several videos (with sound) are available with the Magnaflow exhaust. The kit for the V6 models does not work with the AWD Fusions.

Go to www.youtube.com and type in 'ford fusion exhaust' and several videos (with sound) are available with the Magnaflow exhaust. The kit for the V6 models does not work with the AWD Fusions.

Totally correct, does not work with AWD

Well than, I was really looking forward to changing my exhaust but since the magnaflow exhaust will not work with the AWD SEL V6 I have I guess I just take off the resinator and pretend......lol