Bobo

Should I be worried? Transmission TSB I JUST noticed

So I bought a 2015 FFH SE last year. So far, it's been GREAT! I LOVE IT!

I was just perusing the forums here for the first time in a few months and noticed the post regarding the reliability of a 2013 FFH. I saw that someone had mentioned TSB (17-0039) and said that it affected 2013-2015 depending on the mfg date of the car. I went to the http://www.etis.ford.com/ site and entered my vehicle's VIN hoping to find the build date. It did not. It DID present me with a list of two issues (the airbags and the steering wheel) but nothing about the transmission.

How do I know if my car has a potentially vulnerable tranny? I've searched for 'how to find my vehicle build date' and have so far found 3 links that are unreliable and ZERO links that tell me how to find my build date. Also, how do I KNOW what the build-date cutoff is?

Thanks so much! You are correct. As it turns out, my car was built in February of 2015.
Now to try to find out if this means I have a potentially screwy transmission, or not....

I just found out that only certain 2013 and 2014's had a problem with transmission bearings and it had a recall on it that has expired. I think if you did not get a recall letter about it, your cars probably not affected. And depending on time and mileage it would be covered under hybrid warranty anyway.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2846/customer-satisfaction-program-14b07-transmission-inspection-and-repair-2013-2014-ford-c-max-fusion-hybrid

I have a 2014 and never received a letter and my trans has been quiet so far. But I have changed the trans fluid a few times already.

Edited by billford

Thanks! Mine hasn't made any noise either. I was just kinda taken aback when I saw this!

There wasn't a recall, only a TSB. Most 2013-15 owners don't know about the bearing problem and Ford never publicized it. Good luck.

There wasn't a recall, only a TSB. Most 2013-15 owners don't know about the bearing problem and Ford never publicized it. Good luck.

It was far more than just a TSB. It was a Customer Satisfaction Program that covered repairs on 2013/2014 C-Max and FFH transmissions regardless of mileage. It would be ridiculous for any auto manufacturer to issue a blanket recall on a transmission issue that affects less than one percent of the transmissions, does not involve a safety issue and where the transmission has very good or excellent reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. Those CR reliability ratings means the transmission has proven to be much more reliable than average. And Ford did publicize it via this Customer Satisfaction Program and encouraged its dealers to contact affected customers.

Get over it.

Just had a transmission failure on I35 south of Dallas. 2014 fusion hybrid se. Fortunately was able to exit safely. Car towed to ford dealer to assess problem. Transmission required to be replaced. 120k miles. Replacement cost exceeds value of car. Have to scrap it. No other issues. Perfect up to that point. Ford will do nil. Replacing fusion hybrid with honda product. Farewell to ford forever. So much for customer satisfaction program.

Amazing when perfect car for 120K miles is still not enough to satisfy people anymore.

Hah! Well, modern cars often get into the 200Ks. But, yeah, my first car was a '74 Chevy Impala that self destructed bluesmobile style right in front of my eyes at 70k. In the bad old days, warranty was 12 months/12,000 miles. After that, you were driving scrap metal, while still making car payments.

Our 2013 FFH is easily by far the best car I ever bought. 95k miles, fingers crossed.

Amazing when perfect car for 120K miles is still not enough to satisfy people anymore.

Failed transmission at 120K miles seems very bad to me. Smaller repairs, no, but the need to replace the transmission shouldn't happen.

Just had a transmission failure on I35 south of Dallas. 2014 fusion hybrid se. Fortunately was able to exit safely. Car towed to ford dealer to assess problem. Transmission required to be replaced. 120k miles. Replacement cost exceeds value of car. Have to scrap it. No other issues. Perfect up to that point. Ford will do nil. Replacing fusion hybrid with honda product. Farewell to ford forever. So much for customer satisfaction program.

If it failed on the road make a NHTSA report here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Failed transmission at 120K miles seems very bad to me. Smaller repairs, no, but the need to replace the transmission shouldn't happen.

Interesting point and makes me wonder - what is a reasonable expectation for the longevity of the transmission and ICE on modern cars? I'm old enough to remember when it was exceptional service for a car to last 100,000 miles. Our expectations appear to far exceed that now. So, how many miles is a reasonable expectation for a modern car?

Edited by Texasota

I currently have 223K miles with no issues with the ICE, trans was changed at 98K miles, I think the ICE will easily out last the car. BTW I'm getting as good as MPG's as I have ever gotten. :)

Paul

Interesting point and makes me wonder - what is a reasonable expectation for the longevity of the transmission and ICE on modern cars? I'm old enough to remember when it was exceptional service for a car to last 100,000 miles. Our expectations appear to far exceed that now. So, how many miles is a reasonable expectation for a modern car?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2013/03/14/cars-that-can-last-for-250000-miles/#2242cce6323e

That article seems to indicate that 250,000 miles can be achieved by some of the top performers. Likely not typical for the average car without significant repairs. As "Jack106" stated his repair will cost more than the car is worth. Numerous repairs of a less catastrophic nature can also quickly add up and exceed the value of the car.

I typically average about 12,000 miles/year on a car. If I get 8-10 years without major repairs I am very happy and will be a repeat buyer from that manufacturer. But that's just me. Besides, after 8-10 years I get the itch for something new anyway. But, my 2015 FFH may be an exception - at almost five years and a little over 60,000 miles it is hands down the best and most satisfying car I have ever owned. But, when I get close to the end of the 8/100,000 hybrid warranty I might get itchy again.

Agreed that 250k+ miles is on top performers with diligent maintenance.

I remember years ago when new car manufacturers offered 12 month/12k miles warranty! Nowadays most offer 5 year/60k mile warranties on the drive train. So, 100k miles on a new vehicle with normal maintenance is pretty much expected. 200k miles is doable as long as you perform required maintenance and take care of the vehicle.

But all this is moot if your vehicle has a major failure. And whether it's 90k or 120k miles, I have a hard time accepting that my vehicle it that small percentage of units where they failed prematurely. But it happens.

My 2010 FFH was the best vehicle I've ever owned. Low maintenance costs and drove flawlessly. For 9 and a half years no issues. Love that car and wanted to keep it for another 10 years. Read on these forums that the older models we having battery issues, but what the heck, mine wasn't. So good to know but not applicable to me. Or so I thought.

Last fall the vehicle wouldn't stay in EV mode except at idle once it got cold outside. Did more research online and what was initially thought to be a few vehicles having battery issues now is looking like many more. Ford seems unwilling to do anything and aftermarket batteries were around $3-4k. Not exactly a small sum and not really smart to put into a 10 year old vehicle when other parts may start to wear out.

So my 2010 FFH went from favorite to junk is a short time. Decided after 10 years while it still had some trade in value and the battery issue wasn't widely known yet time to get a new vehicle. If it wasn't for the information gleaned off these forums, form folks that were experiencing problems early on, I would have know this battery issue looks to be a potential major problem. It's good to have a heads up on a problem even if you aren't experiencing it yet.

Here's my situation. And it seems like there was a recent (about 8 months ago) update to the TSB 17-0035 What the hell!!! The reason for the October 2018 update? "Incorrect procedure"

I just purchased a 2014 Fusion hybrid that makes a slight rubbing/rasping sound on acceleration and deceleration...like the brake pads rubbing. But according to several of the fusion forums I've visited on line, this is indicative of the transaxle bearing problem associated with the transmission ford switched to in 2013 (Basically it was the same tranny, but instead of being Japanese produced (Aislan), Ford made it. Check out the TSB on this. or the fusion forums. For anyone reading this now...if you still have the car under warranty and you suspect a sound might be something like any of those described in the forum (and my car's sound is exactly as one of the forum members described), you'll want to get the dealer to check it for Transmission problems. The TSB calls for a quick test that essentially says, "Drive the car until operating temp. is achieved. Accelerate to 40mph, press brakes. Do you hear rubbing, thumping, grating noise? If yes, and car is within the correct model years, it calls for Transmission replacement.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9913-2014-ffh-transmission-replacement/ https://ford.oemdtc.com/3394/thumping-rubbing-or-grinding-noise-from-transmission-2013-2016-ford-c-max-fusion-lincoln-mkz

The latest TSB (superseeds the one in the link immediately above this): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148717-9999.pdf

If there are no noises now, to prolong the trans life, I'd suggest changing the trans fluid every few years. It's only 5 quarts of fluid.

And don't block airflow through the trans cooler as some people here do...Clean fluid and cool temperatures will prevent fluid breaking down, can only help prolong the trans life.

Edited by billford