Scottm

Swollen Lug Nuts

2015 FFH with 46700 miles. Just did the second Winter/Summer tire switch over. 3 lug nuts had to be beaten off with a hammer. Was told I should think about replacing all of them soon. In my almost 50 years of driving, several makes, and models, some with almost 200,000 miles on them I HAVE NEVER HAD TO REP,ACE "SWOLLEN" lug nuts. I filed a report with NHTSA. Ford will do nothing for me. However, the service advisor said this had happened a ton!! How about you?

2015 FFH with 46700 miles. Just did the second Winter/Summer tire switch over. 3 lug nuts had to be beaten off with a hammer. Was told I should think about replacing all of them soon. In my almost 50 years of driving, several makes, and models, some with almost 200,000 miles on them I HAVE NEVER HAD TO REP,ACE "SWOLLEN" lug nuts. I filed a report with NHTSA. Ford will do nothing for me. However, the service advisor said this had happened a ton!! How about you?

Yes, I had to replace mine also. These lug nuts are a two piece affair and many of us have had to replace them. Quick Lane had to chisel some of mine off around 55,000 miles. They replaced them with single piece lug nuts and I don't expect further problems. Can't remember how much they cost but it was not that big of a deal. This lug nut issue is not a Ford only issue. GM and other manufactures have used the same crappy lug nuts.

Other than normal/routine maintenance this lug nut issue is the only problem I've had with my 2015 FFH.

Yes, I had to replace mine also. These lug nuts are a two piece affair and many of us have had to replace them. Quick Lane had to chisel some of mine off around 55,000 miles. They replaced them with single piece lug nuts and I don't expect further problems. Can't remember how much they cost but it was not that big of a deal. This lug nut issue is not a Ford only issue. GM and other manufactures have used the same crappy lug nuts.

Other than normal/routine maintenance this lug nut issue is the only problem I've had with my 2015 FFH.

When/how does it show up? I have my 2015 FFF serviced each 10K miles at the dealer (so far 6 services) and they rotate the tires/wheels, which means that the lug nuts are removed and replaced on all wheels each time.

Edited by mwr

In my experience this happens when the lug wrench is not fully seated on the nut before it is turned. The result is a deformed cap. Once the deformation begins it is harder to fully seat the lug wrench so it gets worse with time.

I replaced all of mine with solid lug nuts.

When/how does it show up? I have my 2015 FFF serviced each 10K miles at the dealer (so far 6 services) and they rotate the tires/wheels, which means that the lug nuts are removed and replaced on all wheels each time.

I rotate my tires at every around 5000-6000 miles (each oil change). I'm guessing the more frequently they are removed and put back on the faster they fail.

In my experience this happens when the lug wrench is not fully seated on the nut before it is turned. The result is a deformed cap. Once the deformation begins it is harder to fully seat the lug wrench so it gets worse with time.

I would agree, the internal depth of the socket, if its not machined deep enough, the left socket in the picture, damages the lug nuts.

post-12252-0-85397100-1555177628_thumb.jpg

Edited by billford

My dealership is the only one that has touched the lugnuts. Just asking for enough compensation for 1 piece lugnuts...crickets from them.

Where did you buy them? Part number?