Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Swollen Lug Nuts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scottm

Scottm

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:52 PM

2015 FFH with 46700 miles. Just did the second Winter/Summer tire switch over. 3 lug nuts had to be beaten off with a hammer. Was told I should think about replacing all of them soon. In my almost 50 years of driving, several makes, and models, some with almost 200,000 miles on them I HAVE NEVER HAD TO REP,ACE "SWOLLEN" lug nuts. I filed a report with NHTSA. Ford will do nothing for me. However, the service advisor said this had happened a ton!! How about you?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,037 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

2015 FFH with 46700 miles. Just did the second Winter/Summer tire switch over. 3 lug nuts had to be beaten off with a hammer. Was told I should think about replacing all of them soon. In my almost 50 years of driving, several makes, and models, some with almost 200,000 miles on them I HAVE NEVER HAD TO REP,ACE "SWOLLEN" lug nuts. I filed a report with NHTSA. Ford will do nothing for me. However, the service advisor said this had happened a ton!! How about you?

Yes, I had to replace mine also. These lug nuts are a two piece affair and many of us have had to replace them. Quick Lane had to chisel some of mine off around 55,000 miles. They replaced them with single piece lug nuts and I don't expect further problems. Can't remember how much they cost but it was not that big of a deal. This lug nut issue is not a Ford only issue. GM and other manufactures have used the same crappy lug nuts.

Other than normal/routine maintenance this lug nut issue is the only problem I've had with my 2015 FFH.

#3 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 751 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:14 PM

Yes, I had to replace mine also. These lug nuts are a two piece affair and many of us have had to replace them. Quick Lane had to chisel some of mine off around 55,000 miles. They replaced them with single piece lug nuts and I don't expect further problems. Can't remember how much they cost but it was not that big of a deal. This lug nut issue is not a Ford only issue. GM and other manufactures have used the same crappy lug nuts.

Other than normal/routine maintenance this lug nut issue is the only problem I've had with my 2015 FFH.

When/how does it show up? I have my 2015 FFF serviced each 10K miles at the dealer (so far 6 services) and they rotate the tires/wheels, which means that the lug nuts are removed and replaced on all wheels each time.

Edited by mwr, 12 April 2019 - 02:14 PM.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,567 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

In my experience this happens when the lug wrench is not fully seated on the nut before it is turned.  The result is a deformed cap.  Once the deformation begins it is harder to fully seat the lug wrench so it gets worse with time. 

I replaced all of mine with solid lug nuts.

#5 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,037 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

When/how does it show up? I have my 2015 FFF serviced each 10K miles at the dealer (so far 6 services) and they rotate the tires/wheels, which means that the lug nuts are removed and replaced on all wheels each time.

I rotate my tires at every around 5000-6000 miles (each oil change). I'm guessing the more frequently they are removed and put back on the faster they fail.

#6 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 268 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

In my experience this happens when the lug wrench is not fully seated on the nut before it is turned.  The result is a deformed cap.  Once the deformation begins it is harder to fully seat the lug wrench so it gets worse with time. 

I would agree, the internal depth of the socket, if its not machined deep enough, the left socket in the picture, damages the lug nuts. 

Attached File  Broach+depth+Deep+sockets+can+have+a+variety+of+broach+depths.jpg   108.93KB   0 downloads

Edited by billford, 13 April 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Scottm

Scottm

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

My dealership is the only one that has touched the lugnuts. Just asking for enough compensation for 1 piece lugnuts...crickets from them.

#8 OFFLINE   Scottm

Scottm

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

Where did you buy them? Part number?

#9 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,567 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

Where did you buy them? Part number?

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic