Sign in to follow this  
RMiller83

2014 FFH New Transmission?

I'm looking for some guidance or suggestions for a situation with my FFH. I purchased it new in May of 2014 and haven't had any major issues with this car. The dealer I purchased the vehicle is the only place that has ever worked on this vehicle. I've kept up on scheduled oil changes at the dealer since new.

Last month I took it to the service department for it's second set of new tires and an oil change at 132,000 miles. I also wanted them to check the car over for any other issues as I was getting ready to pass this car down to my son. They called and told me that the left front axle was leaking and needed to be replaced at a cost of $500. Less than 2 weeks after the axle replacement I noticed a few drops of fluid on the garage floor under the car. I had never noticed any drops or leaks prior to the axle replacement, even though they said it was leaking.

So, I took the vehicle back to the dealership for them to fix this new leak. They tried to put a new seal on the axle in an attempt to fix the leak but it still leaked. They then ordered another new axle to see if that would correct the leaking. There was still a leak after the second left front axle replacement. The service department said they were going to contact a Ford engineer for help determine the issue. After a week of hearing nothing from dealership, they called me yesterday and said the transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of around $6500. They said that parts of the transmission had worn down which is causing the fluid to leak.

Would a leak be caused by worn transmission parts?

Could the service department have done something incorrectly in the first axle replacement that caused a transmission issue? I did put about 1000 miles on the car in the two weeks since first replacement.

Obviously the cost of a new transmision is more than the cars value, should I even consider moving forward with the transmission replacement.

Was I just unlucky that the transmission issue wasn't found before 100,000 mile warranty? Would it do any good to complain to Ford?

TIA for any suggestions or comments. Help!

My usual guidance for any estimate above $500 is to call around and get a second opinion.

Sometimes, there are dealers (they are businesses after all) trying to make some money on a small job. Sometimes, their repairs lead to other repairs. I'm conservative with my vehicle repairs and I don't usually ask mechanics to do anything unless it's a serious issue.

Call around and take it to another dealer or mechanic for a second opinion.

Im in the same boat. I got an oil change at 109k at the dealership and they said the axle seal was leaking. The new driver cv axle is $125 plus labor to install. I will look around for better pricing. I heard its a common problem they say the original design was flawed.