Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Issue getting out of Parking brake maintenance mode - RR brake job

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl2646

Earl2646

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

Just completed a Rear Brake Job on a 2017 Fusion Hybrid SE ( pads and rotors - 30K Miles ).   Used the Parking brake disengagement procedure (and then compressed the piston), but when tying to use the procedure to engage the parking brake a dash warning appeared that noting " parking brake partially engaged and take in for service immediately".  I tried the parking brake procedure a number of times but no changed. Started driving the vehicle but  the rear parking brakes was partly engaged and rear brakes were getting hot.  Ready to tow the vehicle but a friend noted to pump the brakes 10 times.   Tried it and then engage/ disengaged the braking brake lever and it worked to remove Brake service light and the warning on dash "parking brake partially engage".   Drove the Vehicle and rear brakes were cool with no issues/ no lights.  I did not see this issues on any of prior post so has any one had this issue?  Is pumping the brakes at completion part of the procedure?  Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 132 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:20 PM

I have always pumped the breaks a few times after compressing the piston (front or rear).  Otherwise the pad may be too far from the disc and the first time you try and use the brakes the car will not stop.

Edited by Automate, 13 February 2019 - 02:21 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl2646

Earl2646

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the tip.  I suspect you pump the brakes before going thru the procedure to get out of the parking brake maintenance mode. There must be a caliper piston position check prior to getting out of the maintenance mode.      

#4 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 265 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

If you had any warning messages, you should check for any fault codes

Maybe the procedure was not followed exactly?

This is the procedure from the service manual:

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Service Mode Activation and Deactivation

Activation

WARNING: Service actions on vehicles equipped with electronic parking brakes may cause unexpected parking brake application, which could result in injury to hands or fingers. Put the electronic parking brake system into service mode prior to servicing or removing rear brake components. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: EPB service mode is also known as EPB maintenance mode.

NOTE: Carry out the following service mode activation procedure to deactivate the EPB system.

1. Set the ignition to ON.
  1. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch to the RELEASE (downward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and EPB.
  1. Set the ignition to OFF then set the ignition to ON within 5 seconds. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
  1. NOTE: The EPB system will be deactivated, preventing parking brake application until service has been completed and service (maintenance) mode has been deactivated. The yellow EPB indicator will be illuminated and Maintenance Mode will display on the message center.

NOTE: When replacing rear brake pads in service (maintenance) mode, the brake caliper piston must be compressed into the caliper housing. The brake caliper piston does not have to be rotated while compressing the piston.

Set the ignition to OFF then release the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.

Deactivation

NOTE: Carry out the following service mode deactivation procedure to activate the EPB system.

1. Set the ignition to ON.
  1. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch in the APPLY (upward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
  1. Set the ignition to OFF then set the ignition to ON within 5 seconds. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
  1. NOTE: The EPB system will fully apply and release the parking brake to guarantee sufficient air gap between the rear brake pads and brake disc.

Release the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.

Edited by billford, 16 February 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#5 ONLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 741 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:35 AM

Just completed a Rear Brake Job on a 2017 Fusion Hybrid SE ( pads and rotors - 30K Miles

I'm curious why your FFH needed new rear brakes at 30K miles.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   Earl2646

Earl2646

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

To answer your question on the EPB maintenance mode: We did following the procedure you noted above but the brake pedal was not touched prior to attempting to place the Parking brake out of service mode.   There were a series noises from the engine compartment doing checks during each EPB attempt to get it out of service mode, but the warning that the parking brake was engaged still remained. until the brakes were pumped about 8- 10 times.   

The rr brakes could have gone another 3K miles but I had time and did not want to have to do at a bad time.       

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·