Sign in to follow this  
maiabee

Help Needed! Know issues first versus second generation?

When you read about "major" problems on a car forum, you're only seeing the stories of failures. The truth is these failure rates are less than 1%.

Thank you, Waldo. I have been wondering for a long time what the actual failure rate is on our transmissions. I am less worried now about the “sword of Damocles” we have been told is hanging over all of our heads.

The 2013 14 Ford Fusions and C-max's had a manufacturing defect mostly associated with transmission bearings that have caused premature failures from the beginning. The Japanese Aisin made transmissions Ford used from 2004 to 2012 had almost none. It's a fact.

Consider yourself lucky that you haven't had a problem.

If you went to a junkyard 50 years from now and took an Aisin transmission from the rusted heap of a 2004-2012 Ford hybrid it would probably still work like new. Ford brought the manufacture in house in 2013 and screwed it up. They are just waiting out the warranty expiration and will not issue a recall because it's not a safety issue. They make noise for a long time.

The 2013 14 Ford Fusions and C-max's had a manufacturing defect mostly associated with transmission bearings that have caused premature failures from the beginning. The Japanese Aisin made transmissions Ford used from 2004 to 2012 had almost none. It's a fact.

Consider yourself lucky that you haven't had a problem.

If you went to a junkyard 50 years from now and took an Aisin transmission from the rusted heap of a 2004-2012 Ford hybrid it would probably still work like new. Ford brought the manufacture in house in 2013 and screwed it up. They are just waiting out the warranty expiration and will not issue a recall because it's not a safety issue. They make noise for a long time.

Yes, you have repeated this irrational drama countless times on this forum. Pleaseeeeeze, just provide a link to any one of your numerous duplicate rants instead of droning on and on with even more duplicate posts. Several months ago I suggested one for your duplicate posts as a good candidate because it was a rarity in that it was surprisingly free of your irrational drama (e.g. “sword of Damocles”). Give your Aisin transmission a big hug, tuck it in at night, be happy and sleep peacefully with the knowledge that you don't own a second generation FFH.

Edited by Texasota

If I had a 2013 I would NOT be losing sleep over the eCVT.

But, if I'm the OP who is trying to deciding what year used car to buy, why would I choose a 2013 when Ford recognizes the eCVT had a manufacturing problem and issued a TSB and which Consumer Reports shows measurably higher major transmission problems than a 2012 or 2015?

Automate, can you post the CR data you are referencing? I subscribe to CR (print edition only) but I have not been able to find transmission reliability data broken out separately for the FFH.

Waldo, can you share anything about the failure rate of the conventional ICE fusion transmissions as compared to the FFH? I'm curious if it is significantly different/better?

Edited by Texasota

@Texasota

To replace the transmission TSB 16-0105

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10092366-5448.pdf

Later they started rebuilding rather than replace

Customer Satisfaction Program 14B07

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2846/customer-satisfaction-program-14b07-transmission-inspection-and-repair-2013-2014-ford-c-max-fusion-hybrid

Actually it looks like they have extended it to some 2015 and 2016s

Thanks very much for posting. That is the most detailed information I have seen on the actual cause of the transmission failure (transfer shaft gear assembly bearing). Nice to see that Ford offered a customer satisfaction program to repair the 2013 and 2014 transmissions with the problem regardless of mileage. To bad it expired in 2016. Given that it has been extended to some of the 2015s and 2016s it makes one wonder if they really have a fix for the problem other than replacing the failing parts (or entire transmission)?

If you have the Consumer Reports magazine data you mentioned, could you please post it?

One issue with the Consumer Reports data is they group all Fusions together so V6, I4 and Hybrid all get lumped together even through they have completely different transmissions.

The below data is for the C-max which in North America only comes with a eCVT. Model year is at the top.

attachicon.gif Cmax.PNG

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for and the first time I have seen CR reliability data specifically for the C-Max/Fusion eCVT. You are correct that the 2013 and the 2014 are not as good as the 2015. However, this data (reported by owners via the CR annual reliability survey) still earned a "Very Good" (single green up arrow) rating for transmission minor and major on the 2013 and 2014. The 2015+ model years earned a rating of "Excellent" (double green up arrow) for transmission minor and major.

This CR data appears to confirm what Waldo told us in post #5 (see above). The number of failures is a very small percentage and that the reliability of all years of this eCVT is way better than average. Waldo is also right that forums such as this can give the wrong impression given the irrational emotion/drama that has been repeated so many times.

I don't mean to be dismissive to the owners that have a FFH e-CVT that failed. It is a pain when it happens. Fortunately, it's a very small percentage and the overwhelming majority of those were replaced via the 8/100,000 warranty on the hybrid components.

So far, my FFH is the best car I have ever owned. Hope it continues.