scott6k

Rattle/wind noise from both front doors

I have a 2017 Fusion Hybrid and have noticed for a while two distinct rattle or wind noises that comes from what sounds like the front part of both the driver and passenger front doors. I hear the noises at 40 mph or above. I also have noticed that I don't hear them when it's raining or the car is wet.

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to solve it? I have taken it to two different dealers and they have both confirmed the noise but have not been able to fix it.

I have the same thing going on. Today I removed the glovebox and cabin filter to see if it was coming from under the dash. I will have my wife drive me so I can listen to the area. Once I do I will update the issue. If it isn't coming from under the dash I will take the door panel off and see what is causing the sound. There has to be soundproofing material that is loose and rattles when air moves in the area at higher speeds. I notice that is can get worse if it is windy and I am driving in a direction for the wind to get into the area where something is loose. I am going to solve this. Most likely somebody forgot some adhesive when they assembled the car.

I have a wind noise from the right front door when I'm over 40 or so. It's kind of irritating. My guess is the weatherstripping is not right somehow but it sure looks it.

I have the same noise and I believe that it is coming from beneath the car from the cover that seals the bottom of the car. They have to loosen or remove this cover for oil changes and there are some plastic push in clips that hold this in place and I have found that some of these clips are broken or have come loose from having to be removed every time the oil is changed. You should be able to look under the car behind the front wheels on each side and see some of these clips that I am talking about. I also get this noise when going above 40 mph and it is greater as described when heading into a wind. I have my car scheduled to go in next week to have this looked at I will let you all know what happens.

I have the same noise and I believe that it is coming from beneath the car from the cover that seals the bottom of the car. They have to loosen or remove this cover for oil changes and there are some plastic push in clips that hold this in place and I have found that some of these clips are broken or have come loose from having to be removed every time the oil is changed. You should be able to look under the car behind the front wheels on each side and see some of these clips that I am talking about. I also get this noise when going above 40 mph and it is greater as described when heading into a wind. I have my car scheduled to go in next week to have this looked at I will let you all know what happens.

If you're right I'll have it checked July 1st. I have an inspection scheduled and it'll be on the lift. I had the loose panel issue on my '15 from this same reason ... but it was a low-pitched hum at 45+ that got louder or weaker as speed changed. My issue is pretty steady after about 40.

Edited by Cobra348

I have the same noise and I believe that it is coming from beneath the car from the cover that seals the bottom of the car. They have to loosen or remove this cover for oil changes and there are some plastic push in clips that hold this in place and I have found that some of these clips are broken or have come loose from having to be removed every time the oil is changed.

The shield under the engine is fastened with screws. They don't break and shouldn't just come out on their own. It's a coarse thread into thick plastic inserts in the frame. The only possible way I can imagine would be if they used a powered driver and drove them so hard they stripped. I always use a hand tool to remove and replace them and stripping them that way would be difficult. If any are missing, it's the fault of whoever is changing your oil. I've done my own oil changes on three of these vehicles every 10k miles with total miles across all three vehicles of nearly 300k miles. I've never had an issue with these screws.

Oh yes, I just remembered - there are actually two plastic clips - one on each side, but my guess is they were mainly for initial factory install. Once all the screws are in place, they don't seem to provide much in the way of structural support. I dare say you could even lose these and the shield would still remain unflappable.

The shield under the engine is fastened with screws. They don't break and shouldn't just come out on their own. It's a coarse thread into thick plastic inserts in the frame. The only possible way I can imagine would be if they used a powered driver and drove them so hard they stripped. I always use a hand tool to remove and replace them and stripping them that way would be difficult. If any are missing, it's the fault of whoever is changing your oil. I've done my own oil changes on three of these vehicles every 10k miles with total miles across all three vehicles of nearly 300k miles. I've never had an issue with these screws.

Exactly.

This is the way I do it also, with a torx screwdriver, be gentle with it, never power tools.

Just wondering if anyone ever solved the noise issue? I am going to take a look at the underside panel on mine as suggested.

I have a 2017 Fusion Hybrid and have noticed for a while two distinct rattle or wind noises that comes from what sounds like the front part of both the driver and passenger front doors. I hear the noises at 40 mph or above. I also have noticed that I don't hear them when it's raining or the car is wet.

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to solve it? I have taken it to two different dealers and they have both confirmed the noise but have not been able to fix it.

For Titanium Fusion, it may come from the LED fixture inside the door panel. See http://wwqw.you2repeat.com/watch/?v=gj5ivtbHvXA

I think I may have figured it out. I came across this video about a rattle on a Ford Edge from the left and right underbody shields (not the engine shield, these are further back).:

Check under my Fusion and sure enough, it has the same panels and two "buttons" on each side. I tried the quick fix in the video and put some wire in the gap between the buttons and shields. Took it for a quick test drive on the highway and didn't hear any noise! I am going to continue monitoring for the next couple drives but hopefully this solves it. If so, I might take it to the dealer and see if they have a more permanent fix. I am just under 36000 miles so it could still be covered under warranty.