Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Rattle/wind noise from both front doors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scott6k

scott6k

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

I have a 2017 Fusion Hybrid and have noticed for a while two distinct rattle or wind noises that comes from what sounds like the front part of both the driver and passenger front doors. I hear the noises at 40 mph or above. I also have noticed that I don't hear them when it's raining or the car is wet.

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to solve it? I have taken it to two different dealers and they have both confirmed the noise but have not been able to fix it.

• Jeff7630 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Jeff7630

Jeff7630

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

I have the same thing going on.  Today I removed the glovebox and cabin filter to see if it was coming from under the dash.  I will have my wife drive me so I can listen to the area.  Once I do I will update the issue.  If it isn't coming from under the dash I will take the door panel off and see what is causing the sound. There has to be soundproofing material that is loose and rattles when air moves in the area at higher speeds. I notice that is can get worse if it is windy and I am driving in a direction for the wind to get into the area where something is loose. I am going to solve this.  Most likely somebody forgot some adhesive when they assembled the car. 

#3 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 592 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

I have a wind noise from the right front door when I'm over 40 or so.  It's kind of irritating.  My guess is the weatherstripping is not right somehow but it sure looks it.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Grille - '17 Fusion Sport grille

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#4 OFFLINE   gmarshall

gmarshall

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2018 White Gold FFH Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2018

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:42 AM

I have the same noise and I believe that it is coming from beneath the car from the cover that seals the bottom of the car.  They have to loosen or remove this cover for oil changes and there are some plastic push in clips that hold this in place and I have found that some of these clips are broken or have come loose from having to be removed every time the oil is changed. You should be able to look under the car behind the front wheels on each side and see some of these clips that I am talking about. I also get this noise when going above 40 mph and it is greater as described when heading into a wind.  I have my car scheduled to go in next week to have this looked at I will let you all know what happens.

#5 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 592 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

I have the same noise and I believe that it is coming from beneath the car from the cover that seals the bottom of the car.  They have to loosen or remove this cover for oil changes and there are some plastic push in clips that hold this in place and I have found that some of these clips are broken or have come loose from having to be removed every time the oil is changed. You should be able to look under the car behind the front wheels on each side and see some of these clips that I am talking about. I also get this noise when going above 40 mph and it is greater as described when heading into a wind.  I have my car scheduled to go in next week to have this looked at I will let you all know what happens.

If you're right I'll have it checked July 1st.  I have an inspection scheduled and it'll be on the lift.  I had the loose panel issue on my '15 from this same reason ... but it was a low-pitched hum at 45+ that got louder or weaker as speed changed.  My issue is pretty steady after about 40.

Edited by Cobra348, 11 June 2019 - 11:53 AM.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Grille - '17 Fusion Sport grille

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#6 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 779 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:17 PM

I have the same noise and I believe that it is coming from beneath the car from the cover that seals the bottom of the car.  They have to loosen or remove this cover for oil changes and there are some plastic push in clips that hold this in place and I have found that some of these clips are broken or have come loose from having to be removed every time the oil is changed.

The shield under the engine is fastened with screws. They don't break and shouldn't just come out on their own. It's a coarse thread into thick plastic inserts in the frame. The only possible way I can imagine would be if they used a powered driver and drove them so hard they stripped. I always use a hand tool to remove and replace them and stripping them that way would be difficult. If any are missing, it's the fault of whoever is changing your oil. I've done my own oil changes on three of these vehicles every 10k miles with total miles across all three vehicles of nearly 300k miles. I've never had an issue with these screws.

244968.png

#7 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 779 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

Oh yes, I just remembered - there are actually two plastic clips - one on each side, but my guess is they were mainly for initial factory install. Once all the screws are in place, they don't seem to provide much in the way of structural support. I dare say you could even lose these and the shield would still remain unflappable.

244968.png

#8 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 283 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

The shield under the engine is fastened with screws. They don't break and shouldn't just come out on their own. It's a coarse thread into thick plastic inserts in the frame. The only possible way I can imagine would be if they used a powered driver and drove them so hard they stripped. I always use a hand tool to remove and replace them and stripping them that way would be difficult. If any are missing, it's the fault of whoever is changing your oil. I've done my own oil changes on three of these vehicles every 10k miles with total miles across all three vehicles of nearly 300k miles. I've never had an issue with these screws.

Exactly.

This is the way I do it also, with a torx screwdriver, be gentle with it, never power tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·