Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

2017 MKZ hybrid transmission replacement DIY

2017 MKZ hybrid transmission

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Foot_2_Floor

Foot_2_Floor

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:38 AM

Its a bit of a long story but thought I would touch in with some of the people on this form who may have advice on a DIY transmission replacement in a 2017 Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

I purchased this car and wrecked condition with a salvage title. The damage was minimal. No frame damage. Just sheet-metal and headlights. One thing that did go unnoticed however was crack in a transmission cooler line right where it enters the transmission. The crack was so minor it was not noticed for about 500 miles before it bleed itself dry. Even with basically no fluid the car ran and drove fine but made a very nasty scrapie Whirley sound. Upon discovering the problem I replaced the lines and put new fluid in and the sound volume decreased by 50% however the whirling sounds are still so aggressive I am quite confident the bearings are toast. The car actually runs and drives fine even while making all of the sounds. This car is something we are going to use as a family cruiser so I know I need to fix it soon.

My first question is what are the risks of driving it in this condition to doing any further damage to anything else?

I already have a replacement transmission from a wrecking yard and plan to make the swap over the next few weeks. Ive had years of repairing and restoring cars but this is my first electric. I am looking for anyone who has service instructions on replacing the transmission that could be shared? Or real world first hand experience in replacing the transmission.

Im also interested in learning from anyone who has used a android scan tool to be able to interface with the obd2 functionality related to transmission operations, temperatures, etc.

Edited by Foot_2_Floor, 22 December 2018 - 04:22 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,541 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:15 AM

The first step is to pull the plug that completely isolates the HVB.  In my 2013 Energi it is behind the right rear fold down seat back.  You do not want to accidentally touch 350 volts DC.

• Timewellspent likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Foot_2_Floor

Foot_2_Floor

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:23 AM

The first step is to pull the plug that completely isolates the HVB.  In my 2013 Energi it is behind the right rear fold down seat back.  You do not want to accidentally touch 350 volts DC.

Indeed.  Has anyone on the forum personally taken on of these transmissions our before?

#4 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,012 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

I think the majority of transmission failures occurred while the hybrid components were still under warranty. Only a small handful failed outside of the warranty. Not aware of anyone that has done it themselves.

#5 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 115 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

How is the replacement going?  Got any pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·