Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

EV Mode ICE MPG

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   PaulGo

PaulGo

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:56 AM

The hybrid warranty is different for the hybrid components.
  • markwilson66 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#122 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 145 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

From 2010 Fusion Hybrid Warranty Guide (dated June 2009).  Other states may have changed their laws since then.

"Vehicles Eligible for Standard California Emission Warranty Coverage Standard California emission warranty coverage applies if your vehicle meets the following two requirements: • Your vehicle is registered in Pennsylvania, Oregon and Washington, and • Your vehicle is certified for sale in California as indicated on the vehicle emission control information label. (NOTE: Oregon has adopted the California AT PZEV battery warranty (10 yrs/150,000 miles) in addition to the standard California emissions warranty coverage that applies to all emissions components. Otherwise, vehicles in Pennsylvania, Oregon, and Washington do not receive the California AT PZEV extended emission warranty coverage.)"

#123 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

Also some owners have stated a rebalance works so maybe it is software or maybe it is something else.

It is a combination of battery age and battery "health"  The car's computer monitors the battery health by looking at the variation in voltage in each section of the battery.  When the voltage in different sections of the battery starts to become unequal, the computer says the battery is degrading and will limit how much power is drawn from the battery.  A re-balance may rejuvenate the battery health but it can't do anything about the battery age. 

#124 OFFLINE   PaulGo

PaulGo

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

My two cars (2010) both had 43,000 miles when put into storage due to the air bag recall.  Before the recall they were both working perfectly.  After seven months of storage (which made it past the nine year mark) I had the HV problems.  The dealership stated they can  can find nothing wrong in the diagnostics and rebalanced one car.  It did not work.  I have to assume either the storage screwed up the cars or it is a computer software problem. 

#125 OFFLINE   beastrow

beastrow

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

Really interested to see if anyone gets this definitively sorted out in terms of what it takes to set the monitor's clock back, as it were. I just bought a 2010 FFH at a fleet vehicle auction in Southern California (it was a Cal Ed vehicle) and have "the problem" (only on "E" when stopped and it disappears immediately after pressing the accelerator). Otherwise, the car is in terrific shape and I REALLY like it. It's just this darned HV that's so frustrating.

What would, ultimately, REALLY be terrific is to know if the dealer that supposedly did this one-year reset did it with an OBD II unit or if they were using more complex Ford diagnostic systems. If it was OBD, there may very well be some home-brew hope for all of us.

Edited by beastrow, 21 April 2019 - 01:20 PM.

#126 OFFLINE   KDWyman

KDWyman

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 AM

My 2010 Fusion Hybrid ran as designed for about 9 years (only 87,600 miles) with a few hiccups along the way, then this year It has stopped working as designed in Hybrid EV mode...now ICE only stops when foot on brake at red light in warmer weather, Battery remains full unless getting motor assists at highway speeds then it might drain to half full and you can see that charging of battery is occurring...  Ford reconfigured the HEV batteries and retrained the car which worked for about two days abnormally in colder weather, ICE never stopped. (Car has never been in storage unless you consider the two weeks recently that it was at Ford while they tried to figure out the problem) Engine only now stops at red light when warmer weather has arrived this spring but never works as EV mode at any speed now...  Had to take car back to Ford when recently got the red triangle "of engine death"  ie pull safely over when you can, because the engine doesn't work, this is abit harder and less safe when the EV doesn't work, and I had to pull over on a bridge with no shoulder one time that was not fun.  Car has already had the throttle body replaced.  Ford has determined that the batteries no longer can provide the power to run the vehicle in EV mode, but say they haven't "failed", so they will not honor the 10 year /150K mile warranty that the batteries are suppose to have in the state of New Jersey.  Very disappointing to say the least.  Ford says they can configure the EV system to "think" that the batteries are like 2 years old and the car then runs in EV mode as designed, but whats remaining of the batteries will fail if left in this 2yr mode, and don't recommend it.  My battery warranty ends at the end of July this year so I don't want to do anything Ford recommends against.   Apparently, Ford has fixed my engine problem that caused my car to stop on the road,  saying that some control valve had to be replaced...we will see if it is really fixed or not.

#127 OFFLINE   beastrow

beastrow

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone played around with Forscan to see if it has the ability to perform the re-balancing that the Autel MD 808 can supposedly do? I have a new USB OBD scanner coming this week that can toggle between MS-CAN & HS-CAN to open up more of the Ford specific diagnostics and tools and I'd love to initiate a re-balancing if it's in there somewhere. Otherwise, I'll do some digging and report back on what I find.

#128 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 145 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:41 PM

Forscan can't currently do a re-balance on 2010-2012 Fusion Hybrids.  It does support re-balance on older Escape Hybrids.  The developers are working on adding this functionality to the Fusion.

• beastrow likes this

#129 OFFLINE   PaulGo

PaulGo

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:31 PM

My 2010 Fusion Hybrid ran as designed for about 9 years (only 87,600 miles) with a few hiccups along the way, then this year It has stopped working as designed in Hybrid EV mode...now ICE only stops when foot on brake at red light in warmer weather, Battery remains full unless getting motor assists at highway speeds then it might drain to half full and you can see that charging of battery is occurring...  Ford reconfigured the HEV batteries and retrained the car which worked for about two days abnormally in colder weather, ICE never stopped. (Car has never been in storage unless you consider the two weeks recently that it was at Ford while they tried to figure out the problem) Engine only now stops at red light when warmer weather has arrived this spring but never works as EV mode at any speed now...  Had to take car back to Ford when recently got the red triangle "of engine death"  ie pull safely over when you can, because the engine doesn't work, this is abit harder and less safe when the EV doesn't work, and I had to pull over on a bridge with no shoulder one time that was not fun.  Car has already had the throttle body replaced.  Ford has determined that the batteries no longer can provide the power to run the vehicle in EV mode, but say they haven't "failed", so they will not honor the 10 year /150K mile warranty that the batteries are suppose to have in the state of New Jersey.  Very disappointing to say the least.  Ford says they can configure the EV system to "think" that the batteries are like 2 years old and the car then runs in EV mode as designed, but whats remaining of the batteries will fail if left in this 2yr mode, and don't recommend it.  My battery warranty ends at the end of July this year so I don't want to do anything Ford recommends against.   Apparently, Ford has fixed my engine problem that caused my car to stop on the road,  saying that some control valve had to be replaced...we will see if it is really fixed or not.

I believe it is a programming error on the part of Ford. According to the owners manual the HV battery should last the life of the car.  The HV battery on many Ford Fusion (and Milan) cars seem to go into this mode after 9 years.  This does not seem logical. As I previously stated on this forum my two 2101 Mercury Milans with 43,000 miles each have the same problem after coming out of storage due to the air bag recall.  Since your car is still under warranty I believe you should contact your state officials (and perhaps through your Congressman) about Ford not honoring their warranty.  Another option is to PM me and I will give you the name of my attorney who is in the process of filing a class action lawsuit.   

#130 OFFLINE   beastrow

beastrow

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:48 PM

Forscan can't currently do a re-balance on 2010-2012 Fusion Hybrids.  It does support re-balance on older Escape Hybrids.  The developers are working on adding this functionality to the Fusion.

Great info, thank you! Will keep an eye out for the add, but it's at least nice to know it may be coming.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EV Mode, ICE, MPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·