markwilson66

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

Huh. I was looking at a great deal on a 2012 when we were shopping. I decided to pause, and pre-order a 2013. lithium ion instead of nickel metal sold me. So far, we are good, good, good.

2013-15s have a transmission problem. Don't get one unless the transmission has been repaired or replaced.

2013-15s have a transmission problem. Don't get one unless the transmission has been repaired or replaced.

Consumer Reports reliability data does not back up this statement. Your drama grows very tiresome.

Unless there is a separate category for 2013 Fusion Hybrids all 2013 Fusion Hybrids are lumped together on the CR ratings and the 2013 non-hybrid models have a different transmission. Anyway you are in the wrong part of the forum to ask about a 2013.

Edited by PaulGo

Unless there is a separate category for 2013 Fusion Hybrids all 2013 Fusion Hybrids are lumped together on the CR ratings and the 2013 non-hybrid models have a different transmission.

Consumer Reports has reliability data for the C-Max which is the exact same transmission as in the FFH. Automate provided that information here:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/12698-help-needed-know-issues-first-versus-second-generation/?p=109143

It can be viewed in the April Issue of Consumer Reports.

I recall that someone on this forum posted that the "rebalancing" procedure is different for the 2010 FFH with a Ni battery than with the newer FFH with the Li battery. When I pointed this our to my Ford dealer who had performed a rebalancing without success, the Tech told me that Ford Motor had instructed the dealer to use the same procedure on the 2010 as for the later models.

Does anyone have a reference to a Ford Tech bulletin or other source that indicates the need to rebalance differently for the 2010? I'd like to pass it on to the dealer.

From my owners manual:

How long will my high voltage battery last? Does it need maintenance?

The high voltage battery system is designed to last the life of the vehicle and requires no maintenance.

From everyone who owns a 2010 FFH: The High Voltage Battery lasts exactly ten years from the day it came off the assembly line, then craps out.

That certainly seems to be the case. We bought ours in 2009.

From everyone who owns a 2010 FFH: The High Voltage Battery lasts exactly ten years from the day it came off the assembly line, then craps out.

That certainly seems to be the case. We bought ours in 2009.

Facts

From my owners manual:

How long will my high voltage battery last? Does it need maintenance?

The high voltage battery system is designed to last the life of the vehicle and requires no maintenance.

Apparently Ford thinks that ten years is the life of the vehicle!

This may be a solution!

Ford Fusion Hybrid Battery Age Sensor

Asked by GuruCBYLP Feb 15, 2019 at 06:02 PM about the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

My hybrid system stopped working a month ago. I took it into a dealership and eventually it was discovered that the computer sensed the battery to be over 9 years old and instructed the hybrid system not to work. If the sensor was told that the battery was only 1 year old (over riding the system), the hybrid components worked again. Is this normal? What is the reason for this?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c28475_ds1000144

That certainly would make sense as to why all 2010 models are suddenly seeing this issue, while we haven't heard from 2011 or 2012's. It will be interesting to see if the 2011's start to do the same thing. If this is an actual design that was put in place, hopefully someone will share the necessary information to override the setting. I assume it was designed this way to prolong the life of the battery at the expense of performance.

This behavior as far as I know does not happen on any other hybrids. On multiple occasions I have spoken to Ford Hybrid Customer Relations and they were unaware of this behavior. If it was designed this way it should have been in the owners manual or a technical bulletin for Ford dealers. My dealer has been in contact many times with Ford and they also did not seem aware this was a "design" feature. I am hoping that this may be a software "bug" that Ford needs to fix. It does not seem to make any sense that at nine years there should be such a drastic change in hybrid performance. My two hybrid vehicles now show the charging state of the HV battery on the high level instead of in the middle where is should be.

In most states it is eight years. Also some owners have stated a rebalance works so maybe it is software or maybe it is something else. Again from my interaction with Ford they don't have a clue!

My two cars (2010) both had 43,000 miles when put into storage due to the air bag recall. Before the recall they were both working perfectly. After seven months of storage (which made it past the nine year mark) I had the HV problems. The dealership stated they can can find nothing wrong in the diagnostics and rebalanced one car. It did not work. I have to assume either the storage screwed up the cars or it is a computer software problem.