markwilson66

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

Ah yes, looking back through this thread, it's automate and iolder discussing. Now I understand what he meant about 1/2 division vs. 2.5-3 divisions. So perhaps people see 3 divisions of power sometimes with a new battery pack. I'm seeing up to 1 right now, so a little better than automate's image, but still not great.

Iolder says this is symptomatic of aging battery. Boo. I guess we're coming up on a 10 year old battery pack. What can I do?

Now that mine seems to be showing aging and performance down to 1 division or less I am considering some of these shops that claim off vehicle reconditioning. One shop wants about $500 for a 2-3 day recondition process. This shop also offers recondition plus cell replacement should they come across one or more bad ones. The shop also has brand new packs available for considerably more.

As I mentioned before mine came on all of a sudden after it set barely used for 6 months during the airbag recall.

Has anyone taken this step of a 3rd party reconditioning or reconditioning and repair? How about any shareable experience going with an entirely new pack or maybe even one from a salvage yard?

When I had my FFH 2010 last Dec, I contacted a company that looks to have nationwide coverage, with installers that will come to your site and install the replacement. They offered two choices: new and remanufactured. Neither was an OEM battery. The new had a 36 month warranty and reman had 18 month. Cost was $3400 new and $2700 reman. If you took it to their install locations. They said installation would take a couple of hours. Onsite installation was more.

What made be decide to trade it in on a new 2019 FFH, which I absolutely love, instead of getting the battery replaced was a couple of things. Fist the vehicle was almost 10 years old and had no serious issues. Actually was the least expensive vehicle I have ever owned. But at 10 year things we going to start to go. And all are not inexpensive. But the key issue that made me decide to not change the battery was in talking to the tech support person he pointed out these were not FORD OEM battery but a less expensive replacement. He said OEM batteries were very expensive. And second, if any other electrical components needed replacement that would be an added cost.

My thought process was, if I get a replacement and have an electrical issue, they may say it's a Ford issue, and when I take it to Ford, they will tell me it's a replacement battery issue. So I cut my loses and traded it in. Some may argue that Ford is getting out of the car business and that wasn't a very good idea. While true they will not be selling many cars in the future, they still are into hybrids. I believe they will be coming out with a F150 hybrid based upon some articles I've read. Time will tell if it was a bad decision.

Dan

When I had my FFH 2010 last Dec, I contacted a company that looks to have nationwide coverage, with installers that will come to your site and install the replacement. They offered two choices: new and remanufactured. Neither was an OEM battery. The new had a 36 month warranty and reman had 18 month. Cost was $3400 new and $2700 reman. If you took it to their install locations. They said installation would take a couple of hours. Onsite installation was more.

What made be decide to trade it in on a new 2019 FFH, which I absolutely love, instead of getting the battery replaced was a couple of things. Fist the vehicle was almost 10 years old and had no serious issues. Actually was the least expensive vehicle I have ever owned. But at 10 year things we going to start to go. And all are not inexpensive. But the key issue that made me decide to not change the battery was in talking to the tech support person he pointed out these were not FORD OEM battery but a less expensive replacement. He said OEM batteries were very expensive. And second, if any other electrical components needed replacement that would be an added cost.

My thought process was, if I get a replacement and have an electrical issue, they may say it's a Ford issue, and when I take it to Ford, they will tell me it's a replacement battery issue. So I cut my loses and traded it in. Some may argue that Ford is getting out of the car business and that wasn't a very good idea. While true they will not be selling many cars in the future, they still are into hybrids. I believe they will be coming out with a F150 hybrid based upon some articles I've read. Time will tell if it was a bad decision.

Dan

The same thoughts also crossed my mind when thinking about how things might go down hill even further being almost 10 years and counting. I am pretty sure I would not go the aftermarket new or reman route at this point due to cost. Not looking forward to what happens if the battery fails completely eventually.

Same exact symptoms here (w/2010 model). No EV in ANY acceleration, even mild on level ground.

Sounds like the rebalancing of HV battery may be the solution. It did start the problem during air bag recall, but I DROVE it regularly (modest miles). EV problem started about the 6th month waiting for air bags.

As far as life of battery. I came across a taxi company in NY that had 200 Fusion (2010) hybrids. The guy told me that at 9 years, there have been NO failures of any HV batteries, and they are running just fine. That doesn't mean that 1 in 500 won't have our problem. But no actual failures for that many is pretty good.

Local dealer here is clueless. Just put $2,000 on car at dealer to replace a couple of valves I've never heard of, and a brake job. Gonna be hard to put another $500 in it.

Edited by wmayo

I have two 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrids that were in storage for seven months because of the air bag recall. Ford gave me two rental vehicles while it was in storage. I made sure to start the cars every four weeks and run them for 20 to thirty minutes. I also disconnected the 12v battery as directed in the owner's manual. The HV batteries now like to stay in the fully charged state instead of staying in the middle on the gauge and the cars stay mostly in the ICE mode except, when braking and maybe a little in the hybrid mode after traveling over 15 miles (even after fully warmed up). Ford had me sign a statement that I would not use my cars while I had the rental vehicles. Both cars have only 43,000 miles on them. I called Ford and they refused to pay for the hybrid repair. I am waiting for a call back from a Ford supervisor. I feel since I followed the directions in the manual and kept the cars in storage as directed by Ford they should be responsible. I contacted an attorney who is willing to set up a class action to get me reimbursement for getting my two cars repaired. Send me a message if you would like to participle and I will give you his contact information.

Yes, I might be interested.

I've noticed a very minor MPG improvement since the weather is beginning to warm up.
38 MPG vs 37 MPG in cooler temps. Still not the same as the 41 MPG I was averaging before without even trying. If I worked at it (hypermiling) I could get 46 MPG.

Yes, I might be interested.

I left you a PM with the name of my attorney.

So far Ford has not found a solution to fixing my two cars. I brought one into my local Ford dealer and the service manager test drove the car after the service people reprogrammed the computer to Fords recommendations and verified the problem was not fixed. The dealership test equipment shows no errors in the HV system. (The one car that the Ford dealer has tried to fix has been at the dealer three time of a total of twelve days). Now that the weather has warmed up my two cars are also performing better in the hybrid mode. However the HV battery level indicator stays above the normal mid-range level which indicates the storage has degraded the HV battery. It also take more driving before it goes into the somewhat normal hybrid mode.

Cold weather appears to further degrade the ability of the HV battery to reach its normal charge level so I assume that is why it will not go into the hybrid mode during the winter months. It is very frustrating that my two cars with low mileage were both performing perfectly as hybrids before it went into storage for seven months and because of this air bag related storage the HV battery seems to have been degraded.

@mmtphoto What is the feature of the Autel MD 808 that performs the High Voltage Battery rebalancing? I scanned the online user's manual and it appears the only battery features are related to the 12v battery.

Here's an interesting product. It's used to rebalance the HVB on hybrid vehicles. They don't specifically mention a unit for the Ford Fusion but there is some decent information on the need for this type of reconditioning.
https://hybridautomotive.com/

BTW, I contacted Ford Customer Care the other day and was told to take my Fusion to another Ford dealer for a second opinion after being told it was a "normal characteristic of vehicle".

Ask Ford if they will pay for the second opinion. My dealership has contacted Ford Motor Company several times for assistance. The only assistance they gave was to program the computer so it knows it is a 10 year old vehicle. That did not work. I have also called Ford many times asking them to give assistance to my dealer. During the last call they also suggested I bring the cars to another dealer. I told them that the other dealer would also be calling Ford for assistance so what good would it do. Ford is either unwilling or unable to provide any additional assistance to my dealership. I believe Ford knows it is responsible for this because of the long term storage that my two cars were subjected to because of the airbag recall but does not want to admit liability.

They told me that any additional diagnosis would be my responsibility. Ford is trying to wash their hands of this, hoping we all just go away.
Anyone here on Twitter, I encourage you to tweet @FordService and complain, it will probably fall on deaf ears but you never know.

I even sent a letter to the head of Ford Motor Company, as expected it was never answered. I think our only option is a class action lawsuit.