markwilson66

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

I've noticed the same problem on my 2010 Fusion Hyb. (owned since June '09) It came on rather suddenly, starting in Oct. '18. Local dealer can't find any fault codes related to the EV function. I notice that high voltage battery takes and holds charge but can't supply enough power to drive the electric motor in EV mode. I also note it can assist the ICE mode.

May I ask how many miles you have on your FFH?

Rob

Yeah that's 1/2 a division about what mine was doing before it went to my grandson last year. I could coax it up to about 35 mph tops. Maybe 2-21/2 divisions when new. I forget. This is symptomatic of shorted cells/lower voltage. The system still tends to keep the HVB at about 1/2 charged on the gauge. As long as the car runs you can still use it. The mpg will degrade somewhat mostly at lower speeds where it won't cycle between ICE and EV much.

Edited by lolder

I replaced the 12v battery last year. Didn't make any difference. It was 8+ years old so was about time.

The wrench light at highway speed/warm temps is a separate issue from hybrid battery problem. There's a TSB that I had my dealer apply, I have not had that problem since but it has been pretty cool here in CA.

The EV mode seems to be getting worse. It's almost impossible for me to stay in EV mode for more than a few seconds. My fuel econony is at about 38MPG but it usually goes down a little in winter.

Add me to the growing list of FFH owners experiencing this problem. Mine also started to act up after sitting for the airbag recall for months. No acceleration in EV at all with some very limited EV cruising at slower speeds. I have about 62k on mine (2010). Seems a potential leading theory is the HVB pack that has potentially degraded significantly and rebalancing might not or may no longer be able to cure it.

I went to the dealer a couple days ago just for an initial inquiry. I already have a routine P2450 and intermittent tire pressure sensor failure that they said would need fixed before they would even try to diagnose the EV mode problem. I had the P2450 prior to the airbag recall timeout and the EV mode was working just fine then.

I have yet to begin research on how to diagnose and repair the TPS failure. Unfortunately it did not set a code or my OBD reader is just too old. Since it tends to come on after several miles then after several more miles of driving goes off maybe I need to check codes while the MIL is lit.

It seems that even with those fixed then going back to the dealer might still result in their inability to figure it out.

Maybe I should just ask them to force a rebalancing and go from there. Does anyone know of a particular brand OBD tool or software plus adapter that can force a rebalance?

There are two electric motors. Either can be a motor or a generator. In normal operation if the engine is running it drives one electric motor as a generator and the current flow is to the other electric motor driving the wheels. If there is excess current available it also charges the battery. There are very few conditions where the engine is directly connected to the wheels. Reverse is not possible from the engine. It is always from an electric motor. Under full throttle acceleration the engine and an electric motor can combine to drive the wheels directly. I no longer have the link but search for the Toyota hybrid drive explanation. The Ford system is almost exactly the same.

It is impossible to charge and discharge a battery at the same time.

Here is a great little article along with working image that you can adjust on how they work together:

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

I only noticed the battery reconditioning 2 or 3 times since I've owned it. The most recent was probably a couple years ago and under 60k miles.

The engine was run constantly while driving and no EV mode at all. Also it would make these clicking noises from under the back seat.

Battery reconditioning is noted by the ICE not turning off for about 15-20 minutes and the HVB charging to above the normal H level. When finished it goes back to the normal 1/2 charged level. If you were cruising above 46 mph you might not notice it. The HVB systems in these older cars are obviously having a problem. Don't count on Ford finding the problem or telling you if they do. They're getting out of the car business so you won;t be a repeat customer.