markwilson66

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

I am frustrated that Ford after all the owners complaints and finally recognizing the problem months ago is taking so long to come up with a fix.  It would appear that the fix is of low priority.  Meanwhile an increasingly number of owners now get lower gas mileage and increased engine wear from the increase engine on time.  It appear that all 2010 to 2012 Ford hybrids have this problem.  I wonder if the newer models also have this computer programming flaw that will curtail hybrid use after nine years.  

On 1/9/2020 at 11:47 AM, Kwm_55 said:

I have the same problem with my 2010 Milan. My car was stored for a year and was driven only occasionally. I started driving the car again daily in Dec of 2017. However I didn’t have this problem until after I had the air bag replaced in June of 2019. If the problem was from improper storage, why did it take a year and a half to manifest? The car has 144,000 miles so maybe the info above about shorted cells applies. What is the average HVB life?

You need to do the software HVB age reset as described in several threads. There's probably nothing wrong with the HVB. 

You need the license to implement the change needed to reset the age of the HV battery.  Without the license you will not be able to do it. 

Just a quick update, I reset the battery age back to 0 years about 15 months ago.  Things seemed OK for a while and any reduced MPG I noticed I attributed to letting my teenager drive the car on a regular basis.

The past several months my fuel economy has been down around 33MPG.  No problem going into EV mode and staying there up to 47 MPH with a light foot.

Now today the car will not go into EV mode at all!  Not at idle, not in Park, not in Neutral, nothing.  The ICE is on 100% of the time and seems to idle pretty high, around 100RPM.

I'm at a loss for what to look at and have zero confidence in my local Ford service department.

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I forget, does the hybrid have oil maintenance mode?  My 2013 Energi does and once it goes into that mode the engine runs until the maintenance process is complete.

I don't believe so.  I've gone through 3 drive cycles and the HVB is at full charge.  
Might try the battery age reset again.

1 hour ago, Automate said:

How long has it been doing this?  It may be doing an automatic battery reconditioning

I tried it again last night and it seems to be back to normal so I think you are right about the reconditioning. 

Although in the past when it went through the reconditioning cycle, I recall that it made a lot of clicking noises from behind the back seat. I didn't hear that this time but I'm not the only one who drives the car.