ptjones

How Many Miles did You Get From Your Michelin Energy Savor Tires

If anyone is interested, I've documented my success on here with the OEM Michelin tires. 75-80k, IIRC. And, it was not necessary to overinflate to that extent. Yes, I tried it briefly, and the car lost stability, and seemed inherently less safe to me. I do not recommend following ptjones' advice regarding overinflation.

I'm on my second set of Michelin Energy Savers. Replaced the first set around 47,000 miles because of Minnesota winter driving conditions (need healthy tread). Typically inflate 2-3 pounds above door sticker because day vs night temperatures vary a lot in Minnesota. In Florida (warm and flat) trip computer is consistently between 50-55 per tank with mixed driving. A lot of parkway driving where speed limit is 45 MPH. MPG would be less at highway speeds.

And no, I will not endanger myself or my wife by inflating to 50 PSI.

Because you under inflated your tires they lasted 10k miles less than mine so with tires costing $800 it cost you $100 more than mine plus $43 in extra gas for the loss in MPG's. Tire Manufacture recommends using tire pressure that gives you even tire wear for maximum range. As you can see I'm getting even as shown in post#2. BTW tires are more stable at higher pressures, because it takes out some sidewall flex, the cause for instability. I like responsive steering, less spongy felling when you are changing directions.

Have Fun Improving MPG's :)

Paul

Uh, yeah. I forgot you're the resident expert here... I under inflated my tires? Your recommendations regarding tire pressure are out of line and irresponsible. You're recommending a pressure 40% higher than the car manufacturer. Come on man, give it up.