hhwswn

Is 2019 the last model year for FFH?

Does Ford's unfortunate decision to stop developing small cars mean that next year will be the last chance to buy a new Ford Fusion Hybrid?

Does Ford's unfortunate decision to stop developing small cars mean that next year will be the last chance to buy a new Ford Fusion Hybrid?

I've only been able to find vague comments regarding when the Fusion sedan will stop being made. "There isn't a specific timeline for the end of Fusion production", "The mid-size Fusion will stick around a bit longer [than mid-2019]", and "The Fusion sedan seems to be retiring some time in 2021".

Ford is not stopping development of small cars. They are just not going to sell them in North America because nobody wants them.

Ford is not stopping development of small cars. They are just not going to sell them in North America because nobody wants them.

That is consistent with my understanding. Nobody in the Cote d'Azure wants an SUV or an F150. All the roads are 1.5 cars wide, not 2, by American standards.

If American buyers come back to their senses, Ford can spool up thoughtful sedans for us in short order. After 50 years of trying to make a "world" car, Ford is pretty darn close. Gin up a few more stamps for body panels, download plans for the frame to the robot, everything else is the same.

I am in south east PA and I don't want an SUV or an F-150. I am an ex Ford employee and it looks like my 2013 Fusion Energi will be my last Ford.

I already have an SUV for hauling. I want a sedan for everyday driving and my Energi is perfect. I planed to purchase a new one when I part with my 2015, but I guess that isn't going to happen. I don't get why Ford thinks everyone wants an SUV or Truck. Like murphy, this too will be my last Ford, based on their decision to part with this car.

I don't get why Ford thinks everyone wants an SUV or Truck.

Its simple economics. Sedan sales are poor compared to trucks and SUVs. It is not what "Ford thinks" but rather what U.S. motorists are purchasing. It would be foolish for Ford to invest limited development dollars in products that sell poorly when they can invest in products that will have a far better return on that investment.

Take a look at your neighbor's driveways/garages, the parking lots at your local malls, Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home depot and apartment complexes. While many of us may not be happy with this trend there is no mystery why Ford is making these investment decisions. There are many legitimate reasons why people love SUVs.

When I look at my neighbor's driveways, most are like me. They own both types of vehicles. Ford is banking on you purchasing one of their trucks/suv's once they stop selling cars. I don't need two SUV's. We shall see how that works out. Do all of your neighbor's have 2 trucks or SUV's in their driveways?

When I look at my neighbor's driveways, most are like me. They own both types of vehicles. Ford is banking on you purchasing one of their trucks/suv's once they stop selling cars. I don't need two SUV's. We shall see how that works out. Do all of your neighbor's have 2 trucks or SUV's in their driveways?

Some of my neighbors have an SUV and a truck, some have two SUVs and some have sedans mixed in. Take a close look at the parking lots as I mentioned and the trend is obvious. SUV and truck sales far exceed sedan sales.

People like SUVs because of their utility. If I was limited to only one vehicle it would likely be an SUV because they are far more versatile than a sedan. Much better in the snow, hauls bulky items better, tows trailers better, and far easier entry/exit. The newest cross overs ride nicely and the MPG is improving. I like sedans, but I get why people love SUVs and are buying them.

Ford is doing the right thing for Ford and that is exactly what they should be doing if they want to remain in business.

. The newest cross overs ride nicely and the MPG is improving.

I'm getting 95.2 lifetime MPG from my Fusion Energi. Show me an SUV in this price range with this millage and you have me. My commute is 26 miles one way. Ford obviously knows what they are doing, but they have lost me as a customer based on their decision. I will just end up getting a Chevy or Honda until they follow Ford's line of thinking.

A good business won't bet their future based on the evidence of people's purchasing habits 3-4 years ago. After all, I'm sure the sedans in your neighbor's driveways aren't all brand new. Ford is trying to predict the future based on current trends, not based on history.

Also remember sales don't always equal profit. It makes far more sense to sell a few SUVs at large margins than tons of sedans at low to zero margin.

In the autonomous driving world that's coming, I predict people are going to downsize from two cars to just one. Commutes/errands will be handled by autonomous car-sharing while the SUV will be the family weekend/adventure vehicle. There will be no place for sedans.

I'm getting 95.2 lifetime MPG from my Fusion Energi. Show me an SUV in this price range with this millage and you have me. My commute is 26 miles one way. Ford obviously knows what they are doing, but they have lost me as a customer based on their decision. I will just end up getting a Chevy or Honda until they follow Ford's line of thinking.

Show me how much profit Ford made off you when you bought your Energi!

Hint the answer is not positive!

Show me how much profit Ford made off you when you bought your Energi!

Hint the answer is not positive!

It did allow them to sell less efficient/higher profit vehicles without penalty. :) They needed to meet CAFE requirements.

Paul

The good folks here on this forum, like you, are motivated to purchase high mileage vehicles. Many of us then drive them in a manner (sometimes in an OCD manner) to obtain the best possible MPG often at the expense of creature comforts and other motorists on the road. The overwhelming majority of U.S. car buyers are not at all interested in maximizing MPG the way many members on this forum are. SUV buyers want a vehicle that is flexible, roomy, tows/hauls well and is reasonably efficient. Many SUVs and crossovers do a very good job of meeting those requirements.

Here is a good example of this: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/12530-2013-ford-fusion-hybrid-reliability/?p=108519

I like Ford. I want Ford to survive. I want Ford to be profitable. To do that Ford must build profitable vehicles that appeal to the masses.

Edited by Texasota

I contacted a FORD Dealer in Atlanta area and he said he could get a 2019 FFE could get one from another Dealer in a day or two. Not sure if I believe it or not but did say they have 2019 Fusion SE's now.

Paul

I contacted a FORD Dealer in Atlanta area and he said he could get a 2019 FFE could get one from another Dealer in a day or two. Not sure if I believe it or not but did say they have 2019 Fusion SE's now.

Paul

Seems about the right time. I bought my 2015 FFH in October 2014.

Indications are that Fusion as a product line will discontinue with '19. BUT ... my dealer says that gas models will die and FFH/FFE lines will continue. Considering it's known that Ford is investing in electric/hybrid technologies that statement could be true.

Then again the reports did all state that the true end of Fusion was unclear ... meaning even Ford doesn't know.

I read from Ford they will drop all cars except Fusion and also keep Trucks and SUVs.

I suspect they keep only the most fuel efficient Hybrid to improve fleet mpg.

Have they made any recent changes to the base Fusion Hybrid in last 5 yrs?

I read from Ford they will drop all cars except Fusion and also keep Trucks and SUVs.

I suspect they keep only the most fuel efficient Hybrid to improve fleet mpg.

Have they made any recent changes to the base Fusion Hybrid in last 5 yrs?

From my understanding they are not dropping the Mustang. Have not heard anything about keeping the FFH/FFE but I hope it is true.

There was talk about bringing a fusion crossover here, they already have a mondeo estate (fusion wagon) in other contries and that is what I would want, I just don't want the stupid plastic fender armor like the subarus have, just a regular wagon.

03_26.jpg?itok=P03HMkAt

My dream fusion above and its hybrid!

Edited by devon

There was talk about bringing a fusion crossover here, they already have a mondeo estate (fusion wagon) in other contries and that is what I would want, I just don't want the stupid plastic fender armor like the subarus have, just a regular wagon.

03_26.jpg?itok=P03HMkAt

Station wagons (and that is what it is - no matter the naming) have gone the way of the Dodo. Nope ... not for me.

03_26.jpg?itok=P03HMkAt

Heck yeah! I would buy that in a heartbeat!

In answer to the original question. The 2019 MY for Fusion is NOT the last year. There will be a 2020 model but it will essentially be a '19. Orders can be placed starting in July according to my dealer.