10basetom

How to fix a broken overhead console lid

If you have a broken peg in your overhead console lid (photo1.jpg), your Ford dealership will charge you close to $300 to fix it ($200 for the overhead console + labor). Here's how I fixed it for $35:

1. Buy a used overhead console from eBay.
  2. Remove the lid from the overhead consoles. To remove the lid, take a flat-head screwdriver and give it a hard push against the left tab (photo2.jpg) as you firmly pull the left side of the lid towards you. To make the job easier (albeit more time consuming) when removing the lid inside your car, you can remove the entire console before pushing against the tab.
  3. Replace the broken lid with the lid that came with the item you purchased in step 1. Be careful when inserting the right peg into the hole -- each half of the peg needs to be slotted into the corresponding half of the spring (photo3.jpg). You can inspect the replacement lid to see how it's put together.

post-16878-0-42269700-1536117762_thumb.jpg

post-16878-0-44264900-1536117776_thumb.jpg

post-16878-0-43250500-1536117789_thumb.jpg

Edited by 10basetom

Way Cool!

Maybe this should be in the maintenance and diy sub-forum. I don't need to do this now, but if/when my time comes, that is where I would first look.

Way Cool!

Maybe this should be in the maintenance and diy sub-forum. I don't need to do this now, but if/when my time comes, that is where I would first look.

Thanks for the feedback! I couldn't find a way to move the post, so I will re-post it instead.