Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Get a $70 Rebate from Michelin for buying a set of tires by Sept. 20

Michelin\ tires

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 747 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

My FORD Dealer can get Michelin Energy Savers set of four for $730 out the door and then add in $70 MasterCard rebate from Michelin takes it down to $660 which is a real good deal, but it is over Sept. 20  smile.png  I have 78k mi. on my Michelin's, but I think I can go to 85k mi. before I need to change.  I'm going to buy them now, but wait to change them till I need too. Normally it is a real good idea to have the alignment done to, but I'm getting such good wear I don't think the Dealer can do better. smile.png

I picked up the tires today and it came to $730.17 Total. I applied for a rebate at FordOwner.com and was notetied that I would get my $70 rebate in 6-8 weeks. smile.png

Paul

• i.Love.my.fusion likes this

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   i.Love.my.fusion

i.Love.my.fusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:06 PM

Hi, I'm new to the site, so go easy on me  ;) :worship: 

I am looking into getting new tires for my 2014 FFH and I've been scouring the forum for everyone's preference on tires. I saw that you had mentioned the Michelin Energy Savers in multiple posts as being your favorite.

So I went on tirerack.com and checked them out. The total rating for them is 3.5 stars, but when I read the reviews, they are so mixed! People either love them or hate them.... Even the reviews of just Fusions or C-maxes there doesn't seem to be any consensus....

This will be my first tire change on this car. I don't mind paying the extra money for good tires, but it's hard to have high confidence now if people don't seem to like them.

My current tires (from previous owner/dealer) are cheap Fuzion UHP Sport A/S. The 57 reviews on tirerack pretty much agree that they (fuzion) are cheap and terrible. But I have ridden them extra hard (Driving it like a stock car :shift:  :rockon: .... apex cornering onto freeway, high speeds, rough roads/lots of potholes, etc) and I haven't had any complaints [besides a minor annoyance that started recently that they squeal when i am driving/turning in a parking lot going 5-10 mph (what the heck), probably because they are nearing the end of their tread life].

What are your thoughts? Are their bad ratings due to petty reasons, or lack of knowledge of tires...? What am I missing...

What are other good choices for tires for the FFH?

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

The Michelin's will give you the best MPG's and I run 50 psi in the tires.  I got 64k mi. on two sets and they weren't worn out, but I was going on long trips in the snow so I wanted maximum tread depth. On third set I just replaced two at 78k mi. and think I will make 90K mi. on other two. They handle real good at 50 psi  and get better as the tread wears down :shift:  :)

Paul 

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#4 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 75 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'01 Cougar

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

Also, checkout discounttiredirect.com.  Discounttire.com may be local to you.

Michelin is making 100k+ of those tires a year, so don't get worked up about 7 reviews (or whatever number it is).  Ford seems to like them, and they know more about tires than every body else on this forum combined.

And, please do not run 50 psi in your tires.  Check the sticker in the driver's side door jam, or the owner's manual and inflate to that psi.  We hate losing members...

#5 OFFLINE   thavil

thavil

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 166 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm FFH FE w/Luxury Package

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:39 PM

Also look at reviews on tirerack.com for Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus tires. They are also energy saver tires. My dealer had this as an option along with the Michelin's. I'm on my 2nd set and love them. I run mine at 38psi with great results.

Mods/accessories:
Tint 35%
LED license plate and trunk lights
Husky WeatherBeaters floor mats
Covercraft sun screen
Proclip cell phone holder
Stubby antenna (4")
LED puddle lamps (DaytimeBrightLites)
AVS in-channel window vents
Mud flaps (OEM) front/rear
(Shhh, the wife only knows about half of them!)

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

We have been this way before but I will mention it again.  I talked to Michelin Customer Service and he said the best tire pressure is where you get even tire ware. The Michelin OEM tire has a Max pressure of 51 psi and he said he didn't have problem with me using 50 psi cold tire pressure.  Another lesser know fact is you should change the tire pressure depending on the load in the car.  You should have a higher pressure at gross weight as compared to empty weight. 

How long did your tires last running 38 psi? 80k - 90k miles?  Running 50 psi also improves MPG's. :)  I don't see any down side to this, but your choice to waste money on buying expensive tires more often.

Paul 

163299.png 600 Club

#7 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 994 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:42 PM

I replaced the original Michelin Energy Savers with Michelin Energy Savers. I am happy with them. I shopped around and found the best price and then took that to my Ford Quick Lane and as they claim in their advertisements they beat the price. They rotate the tires for free when I go for my Quick Lane oil change. Makes it convenient and easy.

• ptjones likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

We have been this way before but I will mention it again.  I talked to Michelin Customer Service and he said the best tire pressure is where you get even tire ware. The Michelin OEM tire has a Max pressure of 51 psi and he said he didn't have problem with me using 50 psi cold tire pressure.  Another lesser know fact is you should change the tire pressure depending on the load in the car.  You should have a higher pressure at gross weight as compared to empty weight. 

How long did your tires last running 38 psi? 80k - 90k miles?  Running 50 psi also improves MPG's. :)  I don't see any down side to this, but your choice to waste money on buying expensive tires more often.

Paul 

Yes we have been through this before and you still haven't followed up with my suggestion to call and talk to a different Michelin rep and see if they give the same advice!

It's true in Europe they recommend raising pressures for high load conditions, but that's because they drive at much higher speeds.  In North America, the manufacturers account for those high load conditions in the recommended pressure.  Although the physics would say that higher pressures increase load capacity, the "little known fact" is that the industry conventions in North America do not allow tire manufacturers to increase the load rating on tires beyond a certain PSI (it used to be 35psi on P-metric tires, not sure if that's been updated).

The down side is reduced grip in emergency situations, especially braking.  I still haven't seen you acknowledge that, let alone test it!

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:29 PM

Yes we have been through this before and you still haven't followed up with my suggestion to call and talk to a different Michelin rep and see if they give the same advice!

It's true in Europe they recommend raising pressures for high load conditions, but that's because they drive at much higher speeds.  In North America, the manufacturers account for those high load conditions in the recommended pressure.  Although the physics would say that higher pressures increase load capacity, the "little known fact" is that the industry conventions in North America do not allow tire manufacturers to increase the load rating on tires beyond a certain PSI (it used to be 35psi on P-metric tires, not sure if that's been updated).

The down side is reduced grip in emergency situations, especially braking.  I still haven't seen you acknowledge that, let alone test it!

The right tire pressure will increase how long your tires will last, also with even tire wear you are getting the best handling and breaking because you are getting even pressure psi all over the contact surface.  I'm at 83K mi. so far, how many did you get on your tires?  Interesting that the FFH and CMAX weigh close to the same(CMAX is slightly lighter) yet Fusion door says 35 psi and CMAX is 38psi for the same Michelin OEM tire.  I Also checked with my local Discount Tire Mgr and he also agrees with me, it just plain makes sense. :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Michelin\, tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·