Sign in to follow this  
rhizian00

Collision Quirks

Hi guys, I recently made a mistake an rear-ended someone last week in my 2011 fusion hybrid. The damage to the front of my car is pretty bad, and my insurance company is evaluating the costs.

About 15 minutes after the accident (before which the electricity to my car was normal), the airbag light started going off blinking rapidly and clicking, and shortly after the car had no power and wouldn't start. I was wondering if anybody on this forum was knowledgeable enough to know where the reset switch is in order to restore power to the car? I can imagine why the power was cut in the event of an accident for safety reasons, but being as it is a hybrid, lots of mechanics act like the car came from outer space and I'm worried I'll be paying extra for their ignorance.

Additionally, the tow driver discovered that there was no manual override in order to get the car into neutral, which is a HUGE inconvenience because nobody will be able to move the car, especially without it being able to start. Anyone that knows how to set the car to neutral without power, or how to restore power to the car would be greatly appreciated.

There are instructions in the Owner's manual on how to manually shift the car out of Park. It involves taking off the passenger side console panel and using a screwdriver in a slot to release the shift lever. I no longer have the Owner's Manual for my traded in 2010 Fusion Hybrid but I seem to remember a procedure to reset the collision switch. That should only kill power to the fuel pump though. Possibly the collision caused a short to the battery cable and drained the 12 volt battery.

Thanks for the response, I have found the instructions in the manual for shifting into neutral now. I didn't know what the terminology was until now for the "brake-shift interlock". The tow truck driver couldn't seem to find the switch when he looked under the console, but maybe it was an honest mistake.

I think you might be right about the the collision causing the 12 volt battery to drain though, because the car had power for several minutes after the impact, even after I turned it off, but I left the hazard lights blinking and maybe that caused it to drain. Maybe that's why it won't start.

Without 12 volts the high voltage battery is disconnected.

A front end collision could have damaged the 12 volt wiring since the battery is as far forward as is possible in the engine compartment.