newfordowner83

High Voltage Battery Miraculously Charging

I'm not sure if this an appropriate spot to put this post but I have a concern: I am confident my car is running in the garage all by itself because my high voltage battery is almost fully charged the next time I get in my vehicle when it is usually below half charged when I get home. I started taking pictures of the battery gauge when I get out and compare it to when I get in.

I bought a tent and was camping in the yard next to the garage with my twin nephews (they are 3 and love to camp) and I woke up sometime in the night and heard something running. I thought my air conditioner compressor was going out (it was loud) because I didn't think it would be my car running in the garage with no one in it and I fell back asleep (and the air conditioner is fine). The next time I got in my car the high voltage battery was almost entirely charged. It's not a plug-in Energi, just a Hybrid so there is no reason the engine needs to run for oil maintenance or anything like that.

Anyone else with this issue?

2014 Hybrid Titanium, push-button ignition, 103,000 miles

I find that if you stop the car and let it sit for an hour or over night if it was at 45% or more after the HVB cools off the SOC will go up and I have seen 80% SOC on my ScanGaugeII. I have also seen if you stop the car with 40% SOC or less if it sits over night it drops to as low as 27% SOC and the ICE will automatically turn on when you start the car to charge the HVB. Normal SOC range is 32 - 65% and only deviates from that with the cooling down of the HVB. :)

Paul

Are you sure you're turning the car off?

Yes, from what I have heard the battery controller will balance cells out in the battery with Lion battery. Using a ScanGaugeII it is amassing what you see. :)

Paul