dlubin

Coolant leak near exhaust

My 2013 FFH has developed a small leak near the exhaust port on the driver's side of the engine. It started out being very small, only perceptible when a drop would fall on the exhaust and produce a puff of steam that might be seen if stopped. Now I'd say it is probably using a quart every 500 miles.

This is not a location I would expect to see coolant unless there was a serious problem (photos attached).

Anyone with any experience or knowledge on the subject?

post-12171-0-69602100-1532898362_thumb.jpgpost-12171-0-95656500-1532898391_thumb.jpgpost-12171-0-80500000-1532898403_thumb.jpgpost-12171-0-00877000-1532898415_thumb.jpg

I have not determined the source of the leak but after replacing the cap on the overflow tank, the coolant consumption went down at least 10X.  As far as the inverter coolant goes, mine has always seeped a bit around the push on reservoir cap.  It does not leak very much.  I top it off less than once a year.

On 7/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, dlubin said:

My 2013 FFH has developed a small leak near the exhaust port on the driver's side of the engine. It started out being very small, only perceptible when a drop would fall on the exhaust and produce a puff of steam that might be seen if stopped. Now I'd say it is probably using a quart every 500 miles.

The exhaust manifold has a coolant passage in it. Its used to speed up the interior heater temperature. 

The manifold comes in an assembly with the catalytic convertor. 

Expensive.

You can probably bypass the manifold by joining the 2 heater hoses together. 

Thanks for the tip.  If it starts leaking again, I'll check it out.  Perhaps one of the hose clamps is loose.  Whatever it was, it seemed to have something to do with the radiator cap.  After this problem had been going on for a while, I went to unscrew the cap and it fell apart.  I got a replacement cap and the problem mostly went away.  It currently is using the amount of coolant it takes to go from the MIN mark to the MAX mark every 2,500 - 3,000 miles.