Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

What are the Amplifier Limitations due to Hybrid Technology?

audio amplifier sound system speakers after market stereo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drewsker

drewsker

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2018

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to upgrade the sound on my 2018 Ford Fusion.  It has the 11-speaker system that comes with the Tech package.  The speakers are quite substandard.

My difficulty comes in figuring out what are the limitations in adding an amplifier.  Specifically, I need two questions addressed:

1) Will adding an amplifier lead to sound distortion due to microphone placement and/or noise cancellation technology?

2) What are the limitations in choosing an amplifier with regards to power, current, fuses, etc.? I've heard of people installing amplifiers in hybrid vehicles, only to have their hybrid batteries blown out.  So this is a very serious issue, and frankly I'm a bit dissapointed that Ford does not make this information readily available.

Thanks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

If you add an amplifier you will have to disable the active noise cancellation because the amplifier will unbalance it.  It is usually done by disconnecting all three microphones.

The car does not have an alternator.  When the car is on the 12 volt power for all of the cabin systems comes from a DC to DC converter that converts the HVB 350 volts DC to 12 volts DC.  If that converter is overloaded it may die.  You also can't connect directly to the 12 volt battery terminals since that will bypass the circuitry the car uses to monitor the charge level in the 12 volt battery.

#3 OFFLINE   drewsker

drewsker

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2018

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the information, Murphy. A little bit of a follow up on the active noise cancellation: if these three microphones are disconnected, what features other than active noise cancellation are disabled?

I have placed a call in to my dealer's technicians with hopes that they can answer my questions. Somehow, Ford figured out how to put a Sony amplifier in to power their 12-speaker premium system.  I am highly disappointed that this is not offerred as a stand-alone upgrade given how difficult it's been to upgrade the sound of my car.

#4 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

None that I am aware of.  I have not done it, only read about what other people have done.

The Sony amplifier is part of the balanced ANC system.

Have you considered finding a wrecked car and removing the parts that you need from it?

#5 OFFLINE   Justblan1984

Justblan1984

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:58 AM

I have a 2500w Power Acoustik Razor RZR1-2500D (650w RMS @ 2ohms) Mono Block Amplifier connected straight to the 12v battery with a SCOSCHE 500k MicroFarad Capacitor running 1 12” Pheonix Gold Ti312D4 Dual 4ohm Subwoofer (600w RMS). Have had the car for about 4 months and have had the system in the car for about 3 months now without a single issue. I had the Kicker 12” Sub (43CWR122) & Enclosure combo being pushed by a MTX Terminator TN250/1 Amp, upgraded to the Razor Amp and it blew through 3 Kicker Subs so bought the Pheonix Gold Sub put it in the kicker enclosure and it’s been bumpin ever since.

My car car has the 4” Radio with SYNC no navigation no stock amplifier, I disconnected the 3 ANC mics just because but so not sure if the different systems get different results.

Kicker Sub site https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=4969000

MTX Amplifier site https://www.crutchfi...or-TN250-1.html

My Budget friendly build

Amplifier site http://www.walmart.c...pc-Box/52626243

Capacitor site http://www.walmart.c...acitor/46997835

Pheonix Sub site https://phoenixgold....2-ohm-subwoofer

Edited by Justblan1984, 01 August 2018 - 06:24 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Darkside

Darkside

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 89 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

And I have added 1000 watts to my 2014. I added a second battery that is charged from the 12v. I have the Sony head. Look for my writing on it. It's in this section.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audio, amplifier, sound system, speakers, after market stereo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·