thomas91169

2017 FFH w/40k good buy?

Hey everyone,

Whats the reliability of these cars? Doing alot of reading over the past few days (finally found a good forum/resource here).

Looking at spending around ~$15k to replace my 2010 Fusion 2.5 SE which has been the most incredibly durable and rock solid vehicle I've ever owned, has 190k on it and only recently has it started to show signs of aging, mostly being poor mpg (18mpg city 21 fwy if driven conservatively, even with recent tuneup) and aging clunky/loose suspension. I'm going to hate to see this car go but wifey went from having a 5min drive to work to a 35min commute each way, plus we drive this car on the weekends to keep miles off my other car ('13 Gen Coupe), plus this type of car is just way more practical to get around in. And living in an apt complex in San Diego isnt too keen on us having a fleet of cars....

I've been finding a bunch of '16 and '17 FFH with around 40-45k on them for $15k. This is perfect, and wouldnt be the first time ive purchased a year old car with already high mileage (I bought my '10 in '11 with 66k on it already), but just a bit curious with the batteries and hybrid system if this sort of miles on it in its first year or so are a good or bad thing. I see most people say the batteries and such are good to go for the life of the car. Just seeing if anyone else was in the same or similar boat and how they felt about their purchase.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have 140K on my '14. I've replaced two front wheel bearings and one axle. License plate bulb harness needed to be replaced too. Other than that it's been very solid.

My engine is now making a loud noise (I'm not sure it's the engine but it's in the engine compartment) that I've not had time to have the dealer look at yet. It started around 100K and has gotten progessively louder - it's very loud now.

Depending on that outcome, I'm considering replacing mine with the Lincoln MKZ hybrid equivalent - my daughter gets the Fusion next year.

My engine is now making a loud noise (I'm not sure it's the engine but it's in the engine compartment) that I've not had time to have the dealer look at yet. It started around 100K and has gotten progessively louder - it's very loud now.

I'd be very interested to know what it causing that noise.

My brother just traded a '13 FFH SE with about 100K miles for an '18 FFH Platinum. The SE was his first Ford - ever - and he loved it.

My current FFH is about 35K as of today (purchase Aug '16) and no issues other than a DOA keypad that was replaced under warranty. My prior '15 FFH had no real issues over 38.6K miles.

Me too! Will probably be another couple of weeks before I can get it to the dealer.

In case you're still interested, it's the transmission. Dealer quoting $6300 to replace.

The transmission is covered by the 8/100,0000 hybrid warranty. Oh, I see you have 140K. Too bad.

Edited by lolder

The transmission is cowvered by the 8/100,0000 hybrid warranty. Oh, I see you have 140K. Too bad.

Yes it is too bad. It's been a good car overall. I have an appointment with a local transmission shop next week. They said they would not attempt to repair it and there may not be many remanufactured or used units on the market yet as the car is not that old.

Does anyone know if a transmission from the '15 or later years will work on a '14?

Yes it is too bad. It's been a good car overall. I have an appointment with a local transmission shop next week. They said they would not attempt to repair it and there may not be many remanufactured or used units on the market yet as the car is not that old.

Does anyone know if a transmission from the '15 or later years will work on a '14?

I went through this too. The transmission repair shop I went to looked for a few weeks and found none available. I was leery about used, especially if it would have been from an older model. Frustrating we have to deal with this. My car had under 100k when I first noticed a problem, but dealer couldn't or wouldn't acknowledge it. Of course, once I was over 100k, they diagnosed it as needing a new transmission.

If you have a record of discussing it with your dealer prior to 100K shouldn't you still be able to get warranty coverage on it?

I heard the noise before 100K too but it was not very loud then and just attributed it to age.

I was going to be buying another vehicle next year and letting my daughter use this one but she doesn't get her license for another year. Looks like I'll have to accelerate that plan now. I'll probably pull it off the road soon and hope we can find a reman transmission in the next year.

The reasons I bought this particular car in the first place haven't changed and because I've taken care of it I'd like to hold onto it. The car is worth more to me than its trade in or private sale value. I guess I'd have to look at it as it would be a very good used car for $6300 (and hopefully I can do better than that) but it stinks having to shell out that kind of money while still making payments.

I had considered an MKZ hybrid as my replacement but that's off the table now.

If you have a record of discussing it with your dealer prior to 100K shouldn't you still be able to get warranty coverage on it?

+1. Don't let them get by with that.

Dealers are independent businesses and will do anything to maximize their profit.

They still keep trying to convince me the oil needs to be changed every 3000 miles in spite of the Ford requirement of 20,000 miles or 2 years (it's an Energi). In 2 years I will put less than 200 miles on the engine. I drive it electric only, with the electric coming from my PV solar panels.

The allocation from Ford for warranty work assumes it will be done by an expert trained mechanic.

+1. Don't let them get by with that.

I've been through this on here before. Dealer wouldn't admit it. When they returned it to me and said nothing was wrong, I should have fought harder. It was subtle, but I knew what I was hearing. Whether it was incompetence or intentional, I can't ever prove. After 100k, they refused to discuss it. Ford took the dealer's word, but offered $1500 off the $7k repair estimate. Not enough, in my opinion, but I didn't have the energy to keep fighting and arguing.

Dealer and Ford won, I lost. But the fact is, except for this flaw, I loved the car. Traded it in on a 2018 FFH.

Finally pulled the trigger after keeping my eye out for a few months.

Found a '17 SE with the 601A package, which I liked much better than the base as the added features like better wheels, fog lights, leather and sunroof were a plus, and got it for $15k with 38k on the clock, whereas most the ones with that package are going for $17-18k with 45-50k on them still.

Its funny, I'm a horsepower fanatic but now find myself chasing the edge of the electric motor to see how quickly I can get up to speed without the ICE kicking in, like its a game.

That's not the most efficient use of the car. Use the ICE for acceleration.

That's not the most efficient use of the car. Use the ICE for acceleration.

Actually I use electric up to about 20 then kick in ICE to desired speed. But, I also use the cruise whenever I can to allow the car to do its thing as much as possible. On a good day, I can get up to 30, hit cruise and then use a 1/4 mile downhill street to boost SOC from regen.