Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Disappointing MPG results

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 55 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'01 Cougar
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

If it was reversed, 30% highway, 70% city, mpg's will increase.

If you want maximum mpg's, you have the wrong car for your type of driving.

True words.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,827 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

How fast is the OP driving on the highway? If you're going close to 80 that's the problem.

#23 OFFLINE   My2cents

My2cents

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

How fast is the OP driving on the highway? If you're going close to 80 that's the problem.

Exactly, by comparison my lifetime MPG is 45.5 (Total miles driven/total gals of fuel purchased). About 25% of my total miles driven (23,500 miles) are Interstate miles. The other 75% of the miles are country backroads and small town (I don’t live in a big city). I seldom exceed 65-70 MPH even on the Interstates.

#24 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

For the 2010-12 FFHs, from a reference point of 46 mpg at 50 mph and 60º F, mpg decreases 6 mpg per 10 mph speed increase. For every 10º F. temperature increase up to about 95º, the mpg increases 2 mpg. The 2013+ FFHs starting figure is about 50 mpg instead of 46, I think.

#25 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,498 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:13 AM

The 6 mpg decrease per 10 mph speed increase doesn't make sense.  That is a linear progression.  Air drag increases with the square of the velocity (speed).  It is a lot worse than that rule would indicate.

• ptjones likes this

#26 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 737 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

The 6 mpg decrease per 10 mph speed increase doesn't make sense.  That is a linear progression.  Air drag increases with the square of the velocity (speed).  It is a lot worse than that rule would indicate.

BINGO! Too simplistic. I get the generalization, but to pin specific numbers to it is misleading. You can't generalize like that and apply it to drivers in Maine, Florida, Nevada, Michigan, mountains, cities, etc... So many variables in play with these cars, which btw, are awesome. ;)

244968.png

#27 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 502 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

BINGO! Too simplistic. I get the generalization, but to pin specific numbers to it is misleading. You can't generalize like that and apply it to drivers in Maine, Florida, Nevada, Michigan, mountains, cities, etc... So many variables in play with these cars, which btw, are awesome. ;)

<chuckle>  Prime example - computer average MPG when I started my run to FL and back a month ago was about 42.+.  Hit Georgia and it was 43.8 and cllimbing.  Dropped like a rock on the flatlands in GA and FL then climbed back up when I got into hills and stuff.  Speeds were 65+ most of the time, with darn little city or <45 driving.  My estimate would be 96/4 split highway/city.

I always base my MPG on the calculated actual from gas receipts.  And the car is super generous anyway (2 to as much as 4+ MPG).  I have a compact spare which by all the gurus should drop my MPG because of the weight (30-35 pounds) but it doesn't even seem to bother the car.

Edited by Cobra348, 02 July 2018 - 10:09 AM.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#28 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:23 PM

Yes, the wind resistance goes up as the square and my numbers are approximations. Sun light air conditioning load goes down slightly with increasing speed as the car exterior is cooled by the airflow. The ICE is also operating at higher power in a lower specific fuel consumption area. Between 50 and 80 mph you can bank on that 6 mpg/10mph loss. I've watched this for nine years. Headwinds and tailwinds are -/+ 3 mpg/10 mph wind speed. When you speed against headwinds in cold weather you'll run out of gas before the car warms up.

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 700 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

For the 2010-12 FFHs, from a reference point of 46 mpg at 50 mph and 60º F, mpg decreases 6 mpg per 10 mph speed increase. For every 10º F. temperature increase up to about 95º, the mpg increases 2 mpg. The 2013+ FFHs starting figure is about 50 mpg instead of 46, I think.

I tested for this 5.5 yrs. ago.  This shows the difference between MPG vs OT and with Grill Covers on and off. It's about 2 mpg for each 10*F change in OT.

Grill Cover Temp/ MPG Testing

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#30 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

No it's not a linear progression, because MPG drop is not a linear progression.  The difference in actual fuel consumed dropping from 36mpg to 30mpg is much more than the difference between 46mpg and 40mpg.  So that somewhat balances the exponential increase in drag.

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 700 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

BTW my test was going on the FWY for 7 mi. and back at 70mph to make everything the same, just temperature changing.

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 07 July 2018 - 07:22 PM.

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·