Justblan1984

Disappointing MPG results

Do you have the Michelin OEM tires? Personally I've raise them upto 50PSI if you have the Michelin tires. You will gain 1-2 mpg with Premium and If you use a smooth Grill Cover should be worth 1-2 mpg. If you have any other tire your mileage will be less. ;( I made Lexan wheel covers and they're worth 2mpg have you watched MY you tube video's? http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/11745-how-to-drive-a-ford-fusion-hybrid-to-get-great-gas-mileage/page-1 will give you more ideas. I get 52 to 56 mph on the HWY. :)

Paul

Your constant recommendation to increase tire pressure is not a cure-all, and probably somewhat irresponsible. Some drivers will not understand the effects this could have... unintended consequences and all that.

Yeah, Michelin rep, blah, blah, blah.

You are all wasting your breath. These rebuttals to PT's ill-advised and often dangerous nonsense have been made many times in the past. He is going to believe what he wants to believe and there ain't nothing that is ever going to change that.

"Cobra348" Your info isn't up to date. Here is a Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017-Fusion-Hybrid-Owner-Manual-version-3_OM_EN-US_02_2017.pdf This is version 3 page 154 " For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather." I guess you are smarter than FORD too. :)

And as for tire pressure, OEM Michelin tires run just nicely at 40 PSI as the OP states he does. While under-inflated tread can blow out, so can dangerously over-inflated ones. Your pressure over-inflates too much." Here we go with misinformation again, anyone can look at the side of their Michelin tire and see MAX pressure is 51 psi cold so at 50 psi it is ridiculous to say "Your pressure over-inflates too much" and that's the Tire pressure the Manufacturer recommended for it. Call Michelin like I did and tell them you're getting even tread ware at 50 psi and see what they say. How did you manage to get smarter than Michelin on their own tires?

Paul

That link about the Fordservicecontent yields a "404" error for me.

I found the reference to the 91 octane in the 2017 owners guide. I can't imagine why they put that in. Putting higher octane in an engine designed for 87 will absolutely not produce more performance unless the engine can increase the compression ratio. To my knowledge the method of mimicking Atkinson cycle operation with these engines by variable valve timing can only "lower" compression ratio. There is no more chemical energy in 91 than 87 but by raising the combustion temperature and pressure you can improve the thermal efficiency slightly within the confines of engine material temperature tolerance. The added cost of 91 cannot be justified by the efficiency gained.

Now let's talk about politics.

I drive about 100 miles to work and back home everyday, about 70% of the trip is highway the other 30% is split between curvy hills back road country and city. My mpg goes from 34 - 37 which is kind of disappointing being what the car is advertised to do. I’ve had the car for about 2 months and have tried different grades of gas which doesn’t seem to change anything. I run my tire pressure at 40 psi. Any tips or insight into getting better gas mileage?

2017 FFH

If it was reversed, 30% highway, 70% city, mpg's will increase.

If you want maximum mpg's, you have the wrong car for your type of driving.

How fast is the OP driving on the highway? If you're going close to 80 that's the problem.

For the 2010-12 FFHs, from a reference point of 46 mpg at 50 mph and 60º F, mpg decreases 6 mpg per 10 mph speed increase. For every 10º F. temperature increase up to about 95º, the mpg increases 2 mpg. The 2013+ FFHs starting figure is about 50 mpg instead of 46, I think.