Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Disappointing MPG results

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Justblan1984

Justblan1984

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

I drive about 100 miles to work and back home everyday, about 70% of the trip is highway the other 30% is split between curvy hills back road country and city. My mpg goes from 34 - 37 which is kind of disappointing being what the car is advertised to do. I’ve had the car for about 2 months and have tried different grades of gas which doesn’t seem to change anything. I run my tire pressure at 40 psi. Any tips or insight into getting better gas mileage?

2017 FFH

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:00 PM

The higher the highway speed the more it impacts the car computed MPG.  However, run cruise as much as possible because even at high speeds there are times the car will run on battery.  Also in the hills and stuff, make sure cruise is on ... even going downhill.  It's the downhill runs that can recharge the HVB with little trouble and zero ICE usage.

I too am getting some disappointing numbers as based on receipts, but the computed mileage is now climbing some.  Still has a way to go, but up is a good ting.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare,

blacked out grille

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#3 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 715 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

I drive about 100 miles to work and back home everyday, about 70% of the trip is highway

What speed do you drive on the highway?

• jeff_h likes this

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 771 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Do you have the Michelin OEM tires? Personally I've raise them upto 50PSI if you have the Michelin tires. You will gain 1-2 mpg with Premium and If you use a smooth Grill Cover should be worth 1-2 mpg.  If you have any other tire your mileage will be less. ;(  I made Lexan wheel covers and they're worth  2mpg have you watched MY you tube video's? http://fordfusionhyb...-mileage/page-1 will give you more ideas. I get 52 to 56 mph on the HWY. :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#5 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'01 Cougar

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

Wouldn't be so quick to go 50psi on stock tires.  It will affect tire wear (bald centers) and all around traction, handling and ride quality.  And dramatically increase the risk of a blowout in a vehicle that has no spare tire.  Tires are high tech balloons.  At higher psi, they change shape (bad) and at some point will pop.

I see no sense in running premium if the car doesn't call for it.  Frankly, it can't tell the difference and is just a waste of money.

There are a bucket load of smart people at Ford.  If there were easy tips for meaningful mpg improvements without downsides, they would have done it long before this thread.  I got a check from Ford for my '13 FFH not getting their advertised mpg ratings.  $750 I'm thinking?  Something like that.  I'm sure Ford would have been delighted to send a letter suggesting 50psi and premium gas and offering smooth grill covers and wheel covers.

Beware a free lunch.

• Texasota and JeffC like this

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

Wouldn't be so quick to go 50psi on stock tires.  It will affect tire wear (bald centers) and all around traction, handling and ride quality.  And dramatically increase the risk of a blowout in a vehicle that has no spare tire.  Tires are high tech balloons.  At higher psi, they change shape (bad) and at some point will pop. All this is misinformation and not true. Tires Blow out from to low of tire pressure.

I see no sense in running premium if the car doesn't call for it.  Frankly, it can't tell the difference and is just a waste of money.

There are a bucket load of smart people at Ford.  If there were easy tips for meaningful mpg improvements without downsides, they would have done it long before this thread.  I got a check from Ford for my '13 FFH not getting their advertised mpg ratings.  $750 I'm thinking?  Something like that.  I'm sure Ford would have been delighted to send a letter suggesting 50psi and premium gas and offering smooth grill covers and wheel covers. And yet they used my info to reprogram ECM to keep the shutters closed to a higher WT temperature to improve MPG's.  Smooth Grill Covers shorten the time to get to operating temperature for better MPG's/ aerodynamic improvement along with wheel covers. FORD cars are a compromise between capabilities and price, they don't make the most Hytech Cars, just the most cost vs performance cars. 

Beware a free lunch. ​ I say beware of Misinformation, It's important to verify info before posting it.  It's easy for members to get confused. IMO :)   

"ethermion"  You didn't watch MY You Tube videos where all your statements are explained. I talked to Michelin Customer Service and told them that I was getting even tire wear at 50psi.(MAX psi 51psi) and they said then that would be the tire pressure they would recommend. From what I heard tires don't blow up until around 200psi. :) I got 64k miles out of first two sets Michelin's and have 72k on third set. with 80% HWY miles. :) 

From the 2017 FFH OM "

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. We do not recommend these fuels. For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather."

BTW I have 200k miles on my car and getting the best MPG's ever. :yahoo: 

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 26 June 2018 - 02:56 PM.

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#7 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Ford Fusion Owners Manual - version 1 (3/2016) states on page 153:

"Choosing the Right Fuel

We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some fuel stations offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an  octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87.

For vehicles with EcoBoost engines, to provide improved performance, we recommend premium fuel for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.

Do not use any fuel other than those recommended because they could lead to engine damage that may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.  Note: Use of any fuel other than those recommended can impair the emission control system and cause a loss of vehicle performance.
Do not use:
• Diesel fuel.
• Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
• Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
• Fuels containing methanol.
• Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
• Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
• Leaded fuel (using leaded fuel is prohibited by law).

The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage."

Sooo, the usage of high-grade gas only drains your wallet and can potentially harm your auto - it's not recommended.  Note the bold/red portion.

And as for tire pressure, OEM Michelin tires run just nicely at 40 PSI as the OP states he does.  While under-inflated tread can blow out, so can dangerously over-inflated ones.  Your pressure over-inflates too much.

Larry - aka Cobra

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare,

blacked out grille

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

"Cobra348" Your info isn't up to date. Here is a Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017-Fusion-Hybrid-Owner-Manual-version-3_OM_EN-US_02_2017.pdf This is version 3 page 154 "  For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather."  I guess you are smarter than FORD too. :) 

And as for tire pressure, OEM Michelin tires run just nicely at 40 PSI as the OP states he does.  While under-inflated tread can blow out, so can dangerously over-inflated ones.  Your pressure over-inflates too much."  Here we go with misinformation again, anyone can look at the side of their Michelin tire and see MAX pressure is 51 psi cold so at 50 psi it is ridiculous to say "Your pressure over-inflates too much" and that's the Tire pressure the Manufacturer recommended for it.  Call Michelin like I did and tell them you're getting even tread ware at 50 psi and see what they say.  How did you manage to get smarter than Michelin on their own tires?

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#9 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

Tire tech info from TireRack ... underinflation and overinflation.  BTW, I've been driving for over 50 years on properly inflated tires and never experienced a blowout due to that factor.  You take your life in your hands by overinflating as much as you do.  You cannot go wrong by sticking close to manufacturer recommended settings, materials, etc.  I believe you were misled.

= = = = = =

Disadvantages of Underinflation

An underinflated tire can't maintain its shape and becomes flatter than intended while in contact with the road. If a vehicle's tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could lead to tire failure. Additionally, the tire's tread life could be reduced by as much as 25%. Lower inflation pressure will allow the tire to deflect (bend) more as it rolls. This will build up internal heat, increase rolling resistance and cause a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%. You would experience a significant loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn't seem excessively low, remember, it usually represents about 20% of the tire's recommended pressure.

Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher. However, higher inflation pressures usually provide an improvement in steering response and cornering stability up to a point. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures. The pressure must be checked with a quality air gauge as the inflation pressure cannot be accurately estimated through visual inspection.

Edited by Cobra348, 26 June 2018 - 06:29 PM.

Larry - aka Cobra

blacked out grille

#10 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 748 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

Do you have the Michelin OEM tires? Personally I've raise them upto 50PSI if you have the Michelin tires. You will gain 1-2 mpg with Premium and If you use a smooth Grill Cover should be worth 1-2 mpg.  If you have any other tire your mileage will be less. ;(  I made Lexan wheel covers and they're worth  2mpg have you watched MY you tube video's? http://fordfusionhyb...-mileage/page-1 will give you more ideas. I get 52 to 56 mph on the HWY. :)

Paul

Your constant recommendation to increase tire pressure is not a cure-all, and probably somewhat irresponsible. Some drivers will not understand the effects this could have... unintended consequences and all that.

Yeah, Michelin rep, blah, blah, blah.

244968.png

#11 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

For like the millionth time, a Michelin customer service rep is not a Michelin engineer.  They just have canned lines like "even tire wear is good".  Call again and ask a different Michelin rep, I'll bet you get a different answer.  Call an actual Michelin engineer and I guarantee you'll get a different answer.

Running 50psi gives you a higher chance of crashing your car into something.  That's just a fact.

#12 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

I have been to the track dozens of times (in other vehicles).  We all drop the pressure in the tires.  Not completely sure why, but I do and everyone else does.  Might just be that the tires get so hot (too hot to touch sometimes) that they inflate back to a reasonable psi, or maybe because under inflation give a fatter footprint for better grip.  Dunno, but we all do it.  Nuts to be in the pit with everyone checking psi between runs, but that is what happens.

But that is just track day, and at track day they have ambulances and fire trucks on site.  Just in case.  And, I have seen such cases.

Many of us replace tires after a track day.

If your FFH (or PEH) is not at the track, factory PSI is your friend.  If some braniac thinks better, he should apply for a job at Ford.  I am sure they are more than interested in someone who has a "secret" to better mpg, without causing customers to walk home or die.  Everything is a balance.

If you really want to improve your mpg, empty your trunk (easy with an PEH), run with 1/2 tank (gas is heavy), remove the back seat, and leave your wife home.  Reducing weight in this manner WILL improve your mpg, but might upset the balance in your life.

Edited by ethermion, 27 June 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

For like the millionth time, a Michelin customer service rep is not a Michelin engineer.  They just have canned lines like "even tire wear is good".  Call again and ask a different Michelin rep, I'll bet you get a different answer.  Call an actual Michelin engineer and I guarantee you'll get a different answer.

Running 50psi gives you a higher chance of crashing your car into something.  That's just a fact.

And, facts matter.

#14 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,003 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

You are all wasting your breath. These rebuttals to PT's ill-advised and often dangerous nonsense have been made many times in the past. He is going to believe what he wants to believe and there ain't nothing that is ever going to change that.

#15 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,846 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

"Cobra348" Your info isn't up to date. Here is a Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017-Fusion-Hybrid-Owner-Manual-version-3_OM_EN-US_02_2017.pdf This is version 3 page 154 "  For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather."  I guess you are smarter than FORD too. :) 

And as for tire pressure, OEM Michelin tires run just nicely at 40 PSI as the OP states he does.  While under-inflated tread can blow out, so can dangerously over-inflated ones.  Your pressure over-inflates too much."  Here we go with misinformation again, anyone can look at the side of their Michelin tire and see MAX pressure is 51 psi cold so at 50 psi it is ridiculous to say "Your pressure over-inflates too much" and that's the Tire pressure the Manufacturer recommended for it.  Call Michelin like I did and tell them you're getting even tread ware at 50 psi and see what they say.  How did you manage to get smarter than Michelin on their own tires?

Paul

That link about the Fordservicecontent yields a "404" error for me.

#16 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

You are all wasting your breath. These rebuttals to PT's ill-advised and often dangerous nonsense have been made many times in the past. He is going to believe what he wants to believe and there ain't nothing that is ever going to change that.

But, there are lurkers as are new users.  Need to keep the record straight for the benefit of all.  Trolls are everywhere, and you can only do so much.  But, if I can stop someone from putting 50 psi in their tires, even just one, I did something good and the world is a better place.

Haven't tried, but I would also advise against clicking the links for his youtube vids.  Can't be a good idea.

Maybe a moderator, if there is one, could shut him down.  Or the forum could take up a collection to refill his medications.  Dunno, but there are options available to us. 

Most important thing, is that this forum does no harm.

• Texasota likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

But, there are lurkers as are new users.  Need to keep the record straight for the benefit of all.  Trolls are everywhere, and you can only do so much.  But, if I can stop someone from putting 50 psi in their tires, even just one, I did something good and the world is a better place.

Haven't tried, but I would also advise against clicking the links for his youtube vids.  Can't be a good idea.

Maybe a moderator, if there is one, could shut him down.  Or the forum could take up a collection to refill his medications.  Dunno, but there are options available to us. 

Most important thing, is that this forum does no harm.

<grins>  The only mistake I think I made was responding to the absurdity in the first place.

For those wanting an updated manual go to FordOwner DOT com and simply search for your year/model.  No need to log in or anything.

Larry - aka Cobra

blacked out grille

#18 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,846 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

I found the reference to the 91 octane in the 2017 owners guide. I can't imagine why they put that in. Putting higher octane in an engine designed for 87 will absolutely not produce more performance unless the engine can increase the compression ratio. To my knowledge the method of mimicking Atkinson cycle operation with these engines by variable valve timing can only "lower" compression ratio. There is no more chemical energy in 91 than 87 but by raising the combustion temperature and pressure you can improve the thermal efficiency slightly within the confines of engine material temperature tolerance. The added cost of 91 cannot be justified by the efficiency gained.

Now let's talk about politics.

#19 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:19 PM

... <snip> ...

Now let's talk about politics.

Ummm, I have found that that topic and religion always gets me in trouble. ;) 

Larry - aka Cobra

blacked out grille

#20 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 255 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:07 PM

I drive about 100 miles to work and back home everyday, about 70% of the trip is highway the other 30% is split between curvy hills back road country and city. My mpg goes from 34 - 37 which is kind of disappointing being what the car is advertised to do. I’ve had the car for about 2 months and have tried different grades of gas which doesn’t seem to change anything. I run my tire pressure at 40 psi. Any tips or insight into getting better gas mileage?

2017 FFH

If it was reversed, 30% highway, 70% city, mpg's will increase.

If you want maximum mpg's, you have the wrong car for your type of driving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·