How many people use ECO mode?

If so do you use it highway, local driving or both?

I've just done back to back tanks with the same driving for each, 40 mile round trip 50% local highway, and got 1mpg worse in ECO mode.

The driveability seems worse in ECO mode as well. I particularly don't like the delay in starting the ICE when pulling away from lights. It makes for an unsmooth start.

Just looking for other opinions.

I use it 100% of the time. There are too many other variables over the course of any tank to attribute a 1 mpg difference to just one factor, but I may try turning it off for my next tank, just for kicks.

The driveability seems worse in ECO mode as well. I particularly don't like the delay in starting the ICE when pulling away from lights. It makes for an unsmooth start.

I may have this wrong, but I think ECO mode only affects the behavior of the cruise control. With ECO mode off the FFH will be more aggressive in maintaining the speed set for the cruise control. With ECO mode on the FFH will be less aggressive in maintaining the selected speed.

That's what I've always thought, that "ECO" was simply a type of cruise control (which I don't use).

That's what it was in my previous 2013 and my wife's 2014, a setting for cruise control. In my 2018, it's different. There's an actual button on the center console to engage/disengage Eco mode. When engaged, it seems to lower the threshold for regenerative braking, which can make the car seem sluggish at times. That doesn't really bother me, as I bought this car for economy, not performance. It'll still go when I push harder on the accelerator pedal. I've left Eco mode engaged, with seemingly good results.

That's what it was in my previous 2013 and my wife's 2014, a setting for cruise control. In my 2018, it's different. There's an actual button on the center console to engage/disengage Eco mode. When engaged, it seems to lower the threshold for regenerative braking, which can make the car seem sluggish at times. That doesn't really bother me, as I bought this car for economy, not performance. It'll still go when I push harder on the accelerator pedal. I've left Eco mode engaged, with seemingly good results.

I was not aware of that, interesting. Does it still have the ECO mode setting for the cruise control that my 2015 has?

I was not aware of that, interesting. Does it still have the ECO mode setting for the cruise control that my 2015 has?

No. It does seem to operate the same way when using cruise control, though. Unlike with the older setting, I guess the idea is that it also provides a benefit when not using cruise control. At this point, I can only assume it does. I'll have to do some experimenting.

yeah when i first got my car i always had it on eco-mode. then for kicks i tried non-eco mode and never will go back. i feel like im getting way better MPG because the car becomes much easier to drive. eco mode is not worth it.

I'm curious how it becomes easier to drive when it is in non-eco mode?

According to the 2019 manual, Eco mode:
EcoSelect is a drive mode for non plug-in vehicles designed to offer the best possible fuel economy with tradeoffs in vehicle performance and comfort.
To switch EcoSelect on, press the ECO button.
A graphic displays on your information display when EcoSelect is on.
Your vehicle will remember the last selected mode whenever you start your vehicle.

EcoSelect allows your vehicle to operate more efficiently. You will notice:

• Less aggressive cooling.
  • Softer acceleration.
  • Increased deceleration when coasting.
  • Changes in engine behavior.
  • ECO cruise control activation.

I have used both. When it's off I notice the car is more responsive in acceleration but overall mileage suffers. I've found keeping Eco on boosts my mileage by 5-7 mpg and all I've lost is a bit of pickup. So instead of my getting 37-38 mpg, I'll get 42-45 mpg. Plus it's easy enough to turn off if I need to go quicker.

Plus it's easy enough to turn off if I need to go quicker.

Or just give the gas pedal a little extra push if traffic warrants. I frequently do that if I have impatient traffic behind me. If no traffic behind me, I let the car do what it wants.

how to enable this mode, I have a button and when I press it nothing happens, the icon on the panel does not light up