mwr

Rubber door molding split

I noticed today that the rubber molding at the bottom of the driver's door frame is split. I think I may brush my shoe across it when I get out of the car. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know what it would cost to replace that molding? I'm also thinking I could just put some black duct tape over it.

post-13031-0-21852400-1525058098_thumb.jpg

It looks like something abrasive has been rubbing or catching on it right above the split (it looks roughed up). I don't know what it would cost to replace the molding but I recently purchased adhesive (specifically for this kind of auto molding) at an auto parts store. I needed it to glue molding on my truck's door back into place and it worked very well for that purpose. Maybe you could try the adhesive on the split to seal it up. But you will need to figure out a way to keep your shoe from rubbing on it in the future assuming that is the cause.

Edited by Texasota

I noticed the exact same thing a few months ago . I was just going to put some silicone caulk in the broken area, but I like the idea of something specifically made for rubber molding, I’ll probably pick up some of that.

Oh yeah, mine is totally split. Its kind of a cheap rubber, Ford take note! The drivers seal should be reinforced.... I like the tape idea! Some black duct tape just on the bottom part would be perf.

I had the first one replaced under warranty. I immediately placed a strip of black electricians tape on - just about the width of the frame - and it has worked great ever since. Not very noticeable either.

It's now more than a year later and the molding is (of course) in worse shape. My right shoe hits it every time I exit the car. So today I finally got some black tape and put it there. It looks better than in the large photo below. Time will tell how it holds up.

Hmm, I've not been successful in attaching photos for viewing. I've done that many times before but can't get it to work now. So I inserted photos from a web host instead. I don't like that as well.

DSC02202_DxO_1200w.jpg

DSC02206_DxO_1200w.jpg

DSC02204_DxO_800h.jpg

Edited by mwr