sschnath

Whirring noise from ICE

It's a bearing quality or lubrication problem. It's a "Sword of Damocles" hanging over all those models.

Have the check engine and other warning lights gone out? You talked about the generator earlier. The "Generator" is one of the two big motor/generators that are part of the transmission. It controls the transmission ratio which is continuously variable. It can act as a a motor or a generator turning in either direction while controlling the transmission. Sometimes it is not turning at all when the car is in motion or when parked and the ICE is off. In "P", you can make the ICE start by pushing down on the go peddle about 1/3. You can vary the rpm a little by pushing the peddle to the floor. When you do that does the noise sync with the RPM? I think only Ford may be able to diagnose this.

Change the transmission fluid every 2 or 3 years to get maximum life out of it. Only uses about 5 quarts, so the parts are cheap. There is a filter inside, but it can't be replaced without removing and disassembling the trans. The final drive, ring, pinion, differential gears are also in the transmission and metal will flake off due to normal wear. The drain and fill plugs are not magnetized and won't catch any metal floating around. So keeping the fluid clean is important

I think the owners manual spec of a fluid change at 150,000 miles is way too long.

It's a bearing quality or lubrication problem. It's a "Sword of Damocles" hanging over all those models.

Stay calm. The sky is not falling and the world is not ending. Slow deep breaths and keep reminding yourself that you don't own one.

The transmission is all one unit and would not normally be apart when installing. There is no way to know if transmissions made as late as 2016 will have the bearing problem. The TSB would not have been done unless it was taken in. I think you would have to have the VIN number of the car it was in to check the TSB. If you can't verify you should probably take it apart and do it. These transmissions should have lasted forever but for Ford screwing up a bearing.

On 4/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, Sychie said:

What are the recommendations for replacing the water pump?

I would think when it fails.

Edited by lolder