rmzh_2507

Humming sound coming from the front

I have a 2016 Fusion Hybrid that is having a humming sound and is getting louder.

First we thought it could be the tires. The dealer rotated and balanced the tires but the sound stayed. Then I drove with the mechanic to show him the sound. He noticed and said it it was the wheel bearings. The car stayed in the dealer for 2 days to have them replaced. However the sound is still present. The weird things is that the sound is minor and low speed, the I feel a small vibration between 45-50 mph. The sound keeps low until 70-75 mph and then begins very loud and can feel a vibration in the shifting gear and gas pedal. The sound and vibration disappears around 82-83 mph and then the car is very smooth. When the speed comes back down to 80-81 mph then it begins again. No matter if coasting, breaking or accelerating.

I normally do not drive at high speed (Max 75 mph in highway) but wanted to check if the sound got worse with higher speed.

Other thing: I notice the humming stops for a fraction of a second when the car changes from acceleration to coast/breaking or vice-versa... That transition between stages.

BTW: The sound began before I had to change tires and I put continental low resistance tires which are fairly new.

Any idea what could it be? I looked thru the forum and there was some topics about issues with the transmission.. could it be that?

Any help is appreciated.

It sounds similar to an issue I had about a year ago, when my 2013 HyTi was approaching 60k miles. Irritating hum/whine at highway speeds, only heard between about 50mph and 80mph. Seems to intermittently stop when the car switches between electric drive and ICE.

I took it to the dealership and they replaced the entire front axle under warranty, because a crack had formed that they thought was causing the whine/hum at higher speeds. When that didn't fix the issue, they replaced the transmission (again under warranty) and the sound was gone.

I've read in the forums that early 2013 models like mine have transmission issues at 75k miles. I guess mine just went early.

You need to add your car to the Trans Failure list on the CMAX Forum, there are several FFH there, BTW most Trans failed before 75k mi. http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/5288-mileage-and-build-date-for-ecvt-that-have-failed/page-1

If you hear a humming sound up front the first thing to look at is the trans IMO if you have 2013 FORD Hybrid.

Paul

They finally fixed the problem. The transmission had no issues, the problem was on the support bearing and hub bearing on the right side, but the also decided to change the wheel right bearing again. As the car axle is not symmetric, the right axle is longer and need a support. That support was giving all the problems and damaging the wheel / hub bearing.

After that the car is so quiet again. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.