Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

First Fusion Rear Brake Job

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vangonebuy

vangonebuy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 204 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid,14 Subaru Outback, LIRR & my 2 feet
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

63K+ miles and the rear brake pads looked very thin...

Rotors were grooved  also on all 4 wheels.

But the front pads were barely worn at all.

Prices on rear replacement  pads weren't bad. $64

But the parts store rotors price were high.  $72 a rotor and out of stock.

Since the rotor didn't look too worn.. I thought cutting them would be the way to go.

Interesting with the new Electric E Brakes.

There is a service mode procedure to wind the E tension back into the caliber.

Reverse procedure with the Brake Pedal to undo the service mode.

Look it up on You tube for step by step.

Disassembly was e z.

But noticed many pit holes in the back side of the rotor.

Changing rotor would be mandatory now.

Called a 2nd parts store. Same chain and part #...... $34 a rotor..... SOLD.

Observations:

Wire tension clips on caliber is a PITA to put back in. Not awful though.

And there is no squealing clip on the original pads to let you know they are worn.

Since the rear rotors were so pitted. I will probably do the fronts soon. Pads look perfect, But they will go too.

Front rotors are lightly grooved also and I'm guessing they are pitted also on the inside.

Maybe 1 hour total.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

Vangonebuy, I was trying to find a past thread where I remember it being discussed about the front rotor/pads having far less wear than the read rotor/pads. I use to believe that the front brakes typically wear faster than the rears largely because of the physics involved (braking shifts weight to the front tires and the rear tires become less loaded) and from what I was taught in my auto shop classes many decades ago.

Was that just incorrect old school thinking on my part, or has there been a design change in modern cars that gives a braking bias to the rears, or is this a peculiarity of our hybrids? Maybe Waldo could help explain this if you don't know.

Also wondering if the pitting and grooving is peculiar to our hybrids? Would periodically braking hard reduce the pitting and grooving?

• vangonebuy likes this

#3 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,829 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

Since all the regen is done on the front wheels, the system balances it for stability by applying rear mechanical brakes unless you are very light on the braking. Brake score may be the gauge and 100% may mean no mechanical braking.

Edited by lolder, 10 March 2018 - 02:01 PM.

• vangonebuy and Texasota like this

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:05 AM

I just had to have my 2014 in for a safety check (bought out the lease) and was amazed that they failed the rear brakes at only 50K kms (~30K miles).  I confirmed that the pads were thin and the rotors were pitted and grooved as well.  The mechanic made a comment that "You just had the fronts changed recently, right?"  But of course the fronts are original and still look brand new.

I know of two factors involved, one is the regen as lolder describes but also on all vehicles now the EBD (electronic brake distribution) system will use a higher rear bias on lighter brake loads. In other words the system will start by sending pressure to the rear and then bring in the front only as needed.  I've had similar issues on my MKT and reports on the Flex forum also note that rear brakes seem to wear much faster than rears.

#5 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 699 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

That does seem excessive rear brake wear. My last service at 40K miles on my 2015 FFH showed front brake pads with 10mm and 11mm remaining and rear were both 9mm. "Good" is shown as over 5mm. I do take care to be "easy" on the braking.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

I know of two factors involved, one is the regen as lolder describes but also on all vehicles now the EBD (electronic brake distribution) system will use a higher rear bias on lighter brake loads. In other words the system will start by sending pressure to the rear and then bring in the front only as needed.  I've had similar issues on my MKT and reports on the Flex forum also note that rear brakes seem to wear much faster than rears.

Very interesting. Now I am wondering why modern EBD puts a higher bias to the rears (on light brake loads). My gut tells me it is connected to stability and steering control? What causes the increased grooving and pitting and is that also peculiar to our hybrids?

#7 OFFLINE   vangonebuy

vangonebuy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

The light grooves were consistent on all 4 wheels.

My guess is the light braking of driving a hybrid.  Less vibration = Less pad movements.. more grooves.

Noticed it when I changed tires a year ago.

<<As for Texasota's idea of hard braking to eliminate the grooves.>>  It might help.  But the lifespan of my pads is pretty normal. Why waste the gas.

I'd like to see a non hybrid Fusion to see their wear pattern.

Pitting is typical of the solid disc brake. My other cars have had similar pitting.  Surprising that its always on the inside of the disc.

At 63K,  I have no complaints. I live in stop light country.

I'll do the front brakes soon. (warmer weather)  I will throw out the barely worn front pads. Just to clear up the groovy discs.

Interested to see if the non hybrid Fusions front discs have less grooving.

#8 OFFLINE   Luron

Luron

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

Prices on rear replacement  pads weren't bad. $64

But the parts store rotors price were high.  $72 a rotor and out of stock.

Since the rotor didn't look too worn.. I thought cutting them would be the way to go.

Interesting with the new Electric E Brakes.

There is a service mode procedure to wind the E tension back into the caliber.

Reverse procedure with the Brake Pedal to undo the service mode.

Look it up on You tube for step by step.

Disassembly was e z.

But noticed many pit holes in the back side of the rotor.

Changing rotor would be mandatory now.

Called a 2nd parts store. Same chain and part #...... $34 a rotor..... SOLD.

Observations:

Wire tension clips on caliber is a PITA to put back in. Not awful though.

And there is no squealing clip on the original pads to let you know they are worn.

Since the rear rotors were so pitted. I will probably do the fronts soon. Pads look perfect, But they will go too.

Front rotors are lightly grooved also and I'm guessing they are pitted also on the inside.

Maybe 1 hour total.

Vangonebuy, I am thinking about doing my own brakes and rotors on my FFH 2016. Not now but in the future. Mine has 54K miles on it. Brakes seem ok so far. I am aware of putting the parking brakes on service mode if you do the rear brakes in order to compress the caliper pistons. I have been doing pads and rotors on my MDX so I am familiar with brake jobs. My question is: Is there any difference from servicing a hybrid and a non-hybrid beside dealing with parking brake service mode in electronic parking brakes?

Thank you..

#9 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 508 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

I just had 30K maintenance done and my rear brakes are at 9/32 according to the data sheet.  Front ones are good. <sigh>  Gonna have to watch these.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#10 OFFLINE   sschnath

sschnath

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 59 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

My regular mechanic wanted to fail the brakes for state inspection because they looked bad (similar to what's mentioned above - pitting, grooves) and when I showed them to the dealer he said "that's normal for the hybrids" and we didn't touch them. A rare occurrence where the dealer didn't want to take my money and my mechanic did. 

When it finally needed brakes it was on the rear only which was counter to my experience with other cars. When I asked the service writer about the wear being different for hybrids he said "I don't know, you'll need to ask the tech". Never did ask the tech but apparently it's not common knowledge within repair departments.

#11 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,508 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

The regenerative braking is only on the front wheels.  If you become good at using regenerative braking the front brake pads are used far less.

#12 OFFLINE   vangonebuy

vangonebuy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

Vangonebuy, I am thinking about doing my own brakes and rotors on my FFH 2016. Not now but in the future. Mine has 54K miles on it. Brakes seem ok so far. I am aware of putting the parking brakes on service mode if you do the rear brakes in order to compress the caliper pistons. I have been doing pads and rotors on my MDX so I am familiar with brake jobs. My question is: Is there any difference from servicing a hybrid and a non-hybrid beside dealing with parking brake service mode in electronic parking brakes?

Thank you..

Nothing different than any other brake job.

E Brake procedure was new to me, But simple.

Make sure you clean and regrease the caliper slide pins.

Carefully clean and grease the brake pad ears and their caliper contact points. BrakeKleen  the fresh rotors.

If you take more than 45 mins..... You stopped for a beer.

I just finished the front brakes.

Heavy grooves in the front rotor and pads.

BUT NO REAL WEAR ON THE PADS. I mean it,,,, None.

I'm thinking of braking harder now and then to reduce the grooves.. Or try to blow out the dirt now and then.

No pitting on the front rotors.

I'll have them cut and use as a backup set.

Got ABS and Brake codes after the front brake job. I tried the same E Brake reset procedure. And the codes went away immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·