Hammerle9

107k and need 5th set of tires...WHY

I noticed the driver side seems to have a little more wear on the inside. I attached a picture of it.

From the picture that looks like a lot more (severe) wear on the inside.

Tires should last 50-60 K miles on these cars. Did you buy the car new? Go to a different alignment shop.

Tires should last 50-60 K miles on these cars. Did you buy the car new? Go to a different alignment shop.

I rotated every 5000 miles and drove gently. Always had even wear on all four tires but needed to replace the Michelin's at 44,000 miles. They would have been unsafe (especially in snow northern climates) at 50-60K miles. I believe MWR's (and many others) experience is similar. Your posts are to often stated as absolutes, over the top and sometimes you have no idea what you are talking about like when you tried to tell us that the transmission has no transmission fluid in it.

I rotated every 5000 miles and drove gently. Always had even wear on all four tires but needed to replace the Michelin's at 44,000 miles. They would have been unsafe (especially in snow northern climates) at 50-60K miles. I believe MWR's (and many others) experience is similar. Your posts are to often stated as absolutes, over the top and sometimes you have no idea what you are talking about like when you tried to tell us that the transmission has no transmission fluid in it.

Yes, the transmissions use a transmission fluid instead of a gear oil, sorry. The title of the thread is: 107K and need 5th set of tires-why? That is definitely not normal.

Yes, the transmissions use a transmission fluid instead of a gear oil, sorry. The title of the thread is: 107K and need 5th set of tires-why? That is definitely not normal.

Agree that it is not normal and I stated that in my post #4. My response above to you was in regards to your statement "tires should last 50-60K on these cars" and you know that. Very few of these OEM tires on our FFHs provide a safe service life of 50-60K miles. This is especially true if you drive in frequent rain (like your Naples) or snow/ice of northern states.

Here is an informative article from Consumer Reports that discusses this issue:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/how-safe-are-worn-tires/index.htm

You didn't answer whether you obtained the car new? If not, maybe something happened to it before.

I think cross rotating it a serious no-no, as is 50 psi. Perhaps there is some benefit at the risk of DEATH. I'll chill, not rotate, and use the factory psi.

Unless your tires are directional tires (e.g. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred) that are designed to rotate in only one direction, then both the tire manufactures and the auto manufactures recommend rotating those tires as PT showed above. It is important to get them rotating in the opposite direction for maximum service life. Neglecting to properly rotate them can result in noisy tires that make a thump-thump-thump sound at higher speeds.