Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Most Efficent FFH Highway/Internet Speeds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Starlifter

Starlifter

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:07 PM

I would like to have some feedback from some "Road Warriors" who own FFHs.  The men and women who drive the interstates and other highways day in and day out, to give real world feedback on their Fusion Hybrids MPG.  One of the topics I would particularly like to hear are the highways speeds you find to be the most efficient in your Fusion Hybrid.  I'm not looking for the out-of-sight MPGs which area achieved by ultra-milers, just good real world experiences.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 663 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:49 AM

Since no one had yet replied, I'll do the honors by not really answering your question and saying that I drive the speed that I want to drive and let the mpg do what it does. Interstate speeds of 70 to 80 mph with trip mpg always in the 40s.

Edited by mwr, 08 February 2018 - 01:49 AM.

• Starlifter likes this

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   Starlifter

Starlifter

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:48 AM

I have a similar philosophy, many thanks.

And for other readers, the "internet" in the title  should have been "Interstate".  A senior, sleepy moment.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

Hybrids are not like gasoline engine vehicles, they don't have a "sweet spot", especially with the CVT transmission.  Slower will always be more efficient in the FFH, so it's just up to you on how much you value the time/mileage trade-off.

#5 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,784 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

FFHs get better mileage the slower they go. In 2008, a 2010 FFH went 1445 miles on a 17.5 gal. tank but the average speed was 22 mph. At highway speeds, every 10 mph speed increase reduces mpg by 6 mpg. 

#6 OFFLINE   johnnyp12

johnnyp12

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • Current Vehicle:14 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

The highway is of course not the most efficient place for a hybrid, as the only thing recharging the battery is the small generator motor that usually runs when the engine is on. Versus, a stoplight every couple miles to capture regenerative braking.

In my experience, the cruise control isn’t that great at switching to EV mode, so I try to be mindful of battery level, upcoming hills, etc. If you know the throttle to be within EV threshold, you can do a cancel followed by a resume. You can go like 84mph in EV mode, not for very long though ... But of course the EV motor will assist the engine with propulsion periodically depending on battery level, throttle position, etc.

35-40 mpg depending on speed.

#7 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 802 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

On my last 300 mile trip I tried to keep my speed between 68-72 mph.  I got 45 mpg.  The same trip at 75 and above will get 39-41 mpg.

• Starlifter likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 435 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

I am going to caution against relying on the car/trip computations for mileage as they are off to some degree.  Use the fillup receipts for a more accurate picture.  The odometer is under by a couple % and the MPG will be on the generous side that and more sometimes.

Personally, I use the Empower screen (left side) and on '17+ the Fuel History on the right screen.  I believe Fuel History is available in the left screen Myview on earlier models.

As noted the higher the speed, the less efficient mileage is.  I take regular trips from home to Rochester, NY - about 85 miles.  With a few exceptions the posted speed is 55 but I'm usually about 60 or so.  Mileage is pretty decent but nothing to really brag about.  I don't use all the "hybrid driving" techniques so my MPG is lower than those who do.  It's not a fragile egg ... it's a car.  So I drive it - sometimes like I stole it. <shrug>

• Starlifter likes this

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked)

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#9 OFFLINE   Starlifter

Starlifter

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

Like the comment   "It's not a fragile egg ... it's a car".  Responses like this are what I am looking for...Real Word driving.

Many thanks

#10 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 663 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

I'll refer you to a thread I started after my first long trip in my 2015 FFH. Posts #1, #9, and #10 describe my first, second, and third trips. Trip #4 is coming up on 2/14/2018 :-)

http://fordfusionhyb...first-long-trip

Edited by mwr, 13 February 2018 - 03:45 PM.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·